Has anybody tried already a Castelli Gabba jersey??

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Ive had a Gabba for a couple of seasons now and always appreciated its usefulness. Just the other day I grabbed it for my commute home and I couldnt have been happier that I did!
37f/2c degrees. Wind gusts of over 20mph. Complete downpour.
Weather prediction said only slight chance of rain but this year I have seen those predictions wrong more than ever. Anyway, I had it with a base layer underneath. That rain was cold! Fingers and toes were in pain after the first 30 minutes but I really think that Gabba jersey saved me. I can say the last 5 miles were hard because I was in a bit of pain but it had been raining very hard for an hour.
So, long story short, I made it and felt very lucky/blessed to have some outstanding products to use.
I commute and ride hard and appreciate the fit and options that Castelli has for their winter gear. All the Rosso Course stuff I have has been a great purchase.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gitsome

by gitsome

Its one of the best cycling things I own, versatile, well made, fitting, warm, breathable, water repellant and looks good. Great jersey.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Debating LS vs SS Gabba (not interested in convertible). Advice pls?

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Depends on conditions, but I'd go with the SS and pair with Castelli nano arm warmers. I found that when the temperature warms a little I couldn't easily roll the arms up on the LS version - got too hot on climbs.

Cheers

GJ

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Gearjunkie wrote:Depends on conditions, but I'd go with the SS and pair with Castelli nano arm warmers. I found that when the temperature warms a little I couldn't easily roll the arms up on the LS version - got too hot on climbs.

Cheers

GJ

Thanks, GJ. I know temp ranges are individual, but at what temps would you see the LS jersey getting too warm on climbs? And what is your experience for the low end of your comfort range with SS and warmers?

Does seem like folks find the nanoflex warmers to be a good match to the Gabba SS.

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

Today I went cycling with a temperature range between from approx. 8 degrees in the shade to 15 degrees Celcius in the sun.
I had a Decathlon base layer, Gabba jersey, nano-flex arm/leg warmers, and aero race bib and it was rather comfortable.
Sometimes a little chilly when going down in parts where the sun did not heat up the road etc., and defenitely not too hot in the sun. Also I did not get any wet parts on my body of sweating and the wind stopper did perfectly it's job.

Not only for the rain, but just as a wind stopper combination it's an amazing piece of cycling equipment.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

teleguy57 wrote:Debating LS vs SS Gabba (not interested in convertible). Advice pls?

The LS one has the zippered chest vents. Very recommended.
Got to admit I never used the SS, but really like the LS. Using it below 20C or so (hard to say as temp also changes while riding).

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

I found the LS very warm. I can go down to 2 or 3 C with only a mesh T shirt base layer under the LS and still be ok. I guess I should say that I ALWAYS do hills, so always have the problem of heating up when working hard, going slow on the way up, then getting cooler coming down the other side. So that's why I'd rather have the SS with arm warmers.

For me and the kind of riding I do, I'd use it between 0C and 15C. Just add more underneath (eg: merino LS base layer) when at the cooler end of that range.

Cheers

GJ

gitsome

by gitsome

Yup me too I find the short sleeve versatile and I always carry arm-warmers for it, if it drops below 50 I wear a rapha team sky rain shell over it. Not crazy about the Rapha shell btw as it had no venting and does not breathe all that well, but it was on sale for $147 so I bought it but it really doesn't wick sweat all that well and if you get sweated up and stop moving your sweat will turn to ice in winter and its too hot for temps over 50... but it looks nice and blocks wind extremely well and is super-light weight and reflective, I like that. And cut very very well. Sorry to drift off-topic.
Last edited by gitsome on Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

teleguy57

by teleguy57

Love the responses -- bottom line as I read them is that there is more versatility with SS and warmers, and those who have LS love them as well. Decisions, decisions.... :)

dha

by dha

The UK supply of Gabbas (in small anyway) seems to have pretty much dried up. There seems to be end of March quotes on availability on some shops with a black option with black lettering rather than white. New colours in the range perhaps?

simoncx

by simoncx

I've used the convertible jacket and really like it, if it's a downpour then it doesn't replace a full on rain jacket but it works great for light rain. It's warm, almost too warm if its above 45 even with just a base layer. The nanoflex leg warmers I'm a little disappointed in because I was expecting them to be alittle more water resistant. While I do like them because they are warm there good for road spray if the roads are wet after it rains, anything more then a very light rain you can feel the water coming through pretty quick.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

simoncx wrote:The nanoflex leg warmers I'm a little disappointed in because I was expecting them to be alittle more water resistant. While I do like them because they are warm there good for road spray if the roads are wet after it rains, anything more then a very light rain you can feel the water coming through pretty quick.

Same here, had hoped for better protection. My guess would be that the fabric takes up (more) water when it stretches back and forth, like in the knees area.

micky

by micky

Not trying to spoil the topic but I guess Castelli lost the exclusivity of the use of the fabric clothing cause in the past week I found 2 small clothing companies selling jackets said to be sourcing the material from same source as the Castelli one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com