Motorbike crashes into cyclists

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

limba

by limba

I don't even understand how that happened. The cyclists were going slow and to the right side of the road, it didn't look like the motorbike was going fast, he had plenty of time to see the cyclists and react, nothing was coming towards him in the oncoming lane ... it's like he just ran into them on purpose.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dalai

by Dalai

limba wrote:it's like he just ran into them on purpose.

As already mentioned - Target fixation...

euan

by euan

I've never riden that corner but isn't it a bit funky. Supposedly with a weird camber change and stuff that makes it a common occurrence that motorbikes crash there

ichobi

by ichobi

When he lifted his foot after coming out of the corner, did that make the motorbike go wide? (I never ride big bike) It wasn't fast, but it seems the biker kinda lose control so he ended up colliding with the guy?

That guy is lucky as hell come out of that incident with scratches and sore. From the way he fell , it would have been fatal injury without helmet.

limba

by limba

The guy has a bunch of videos of that hill/road. It has to be harder than it seems to negotiate.

are

by are

I ride there every once in awhile. I'm usually going the other way (so downhill at that point) and I ride early in the morning. I don't think that corner is especially hard; it's at the top of the "snake" on Mulholland, near the Rock Store. The Rock Store is a huge gathering point for motorcycles and fast cars. If there's an abnormal number of crashes it's mainly due to people driving too fast (though, in this case, it just looks like incompetence on the part of the motorcyclist). The road is nicely paved and very twisty, so people take their high performance machines out there and ride like it's a closed track. I see Ferraris, Lambos, Atoms - everything - out there blasting around that section of road. There's a dedicated photographer that hangs out there ... http://www.rockstorephotos.com/snake.htm.

I'm surprised there aren't more accidents w/ cyclists getting hit. I'm amazed the police don't do more around there.

eric

by eric

I've been a motorcyclist for 35 years, and I've ridden that road (Mullholland) a number of times on the bicycle. That corner which is at the top of the climb isn't as technical as most of the rest of the ascent from the Rock Store. The direction the riders were going the entry is tighter radius than the exit.

The motorcyclist clearly target fixated and paniced. Lifting a foot like that is a sign of panic. A small change like that would not change the bike's line much. And since he had his arms locked he wasn't changing anything... he was going where he was looking.

Target fixation is difficult to break.. its what we've evolved to do. When I started doing competitive motorcycle observed trials after 15 years of street and dirt riding I found out how hard it is to not do it. Over and over. Fortunately at low speed. So in a way I don't blame the motorcyclist too much, but if I'd been one of the guys he hit I'd have been tempted to give him a verbal beat down for being incompetent.

The times I have ridden the Mulholland area I have found the motorcyclists to not be so numerous compared to the SF Bay Area, and better behaved around cyclists. And that stretch of Mulholland is a joy to ride, up or down.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

eric

by eric

There's been photographers at that spot every time I've ridden it. Crash footage needs both a crash and a camera. There are some tight decreasing radius turns farther down, and one tight turn under an overhanging rock. I'd bet that a study of motorycle crashes would find at least as many there as at that turn at the top.

BTW highway 9 in the bay area, a less challenging racer road, is littered with fairing parts in the bushes all the way up the road. Even in the straight parts.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

This guy is making a motza on YouTube hits.

I can't stop watching them either.

ichobi

by ichobi

Watching this guy channel is some weird experience. It's like watching a camera fixed on the Bermuda Triangle. you know you can't stop watching them yet you feel a little guilty doing so.. :lol:

are

by are

This showed up on my club's forum - Hincapie showed up at the crash!

http://shop.rockstorephotos.com/p340649 ... #h5d6af46a

eric

by eric

erty65

by erty65

Guerdi wrote:
aerozy wrote:PS: Yeap spring seems to be "road rage season"! Drivers had it their way entire winter and are not happy to see so many cyclists out on the road. The other day I had a guy coming the opposite direction accelerate into my lane, so going in the opposite side of the road, basically threatening a head to head collision until the last second and wizzed right by me easily over 150km/h. How cowardly is that? If you have something to say to a cyclist as least have the nurve to say it in our face.

Wow - I just thought that scandinavian drivers were more courteous than that.
Social democrat propaganda?

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Damn, just watching that vid makes me sick :evil:
Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com