HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:42 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:44 am
Posts: 411
Location: Oztralien
These guys are lucky!
http://www.steephill.tv/players/youtube3/?title=Motorcycle+Crashes+into+Cyclists+on+Mulholland+Hwy,+Malibu+California&dashboard=&id=dNFaAqS2f18&yr=2013


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:20 am
Posts: 1334
A Merlin and Firefly trashed

_________________
"Step forward the climber and all those who worship at the altar of lightness" - R. Millar


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:35 pm 


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:57 pm
Posts: 7403
Location: San Francisco, CA
The thing is when stuff like this happens, there's actually those who blame the cyclists, as you can see if you go to the youtube page and look at comments. It's something about the American motorhead culture: exposure to too many car ads in-utero.

_________________
http://djconnel.blogspot.com/
Fuji SL/1
\


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:45 pm
Posts: 750
Location: Stockholm, The Arctic...
*f##k* idiot!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:19 am
Posts: 769
That's what we call "target fixation"!!!


It seems like drivers are getting ramped up for the season. I had my closest incident this weekend; which involved a pickup truck nearly running a friend and I off the road (wide, open road, middle of nowhere, no traffic) then the passenger hung out the window and tried to swing at me - followed by threatening to kill me. Good times.

I'm a fool for not paying attention to his license plate number...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:22 pm
Posts: 728
Location: Brooklyn
euan wrote:
A Merlin and Firefly trashed


The guy clearly do not like TI bikes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:10 pm
Posts: 41
looks like he made no attempt to tighten and avoid. I agree target fixation. This guy should stop motorcycling for his good and that of everyone else.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:15 pm
Posts: 1203
Location: Hungary
It's bad enough to watch it... :(
It's rare to see such an accident filmed in full HD with a decently operated camera.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:53 pm
Posts: 232
Location: L'Australie
Had a look at the guys youtube channel and it's just video's of the same corner with motorcyclists damaging themselves and in this case others sadly! Seems ridiculously popular for celebrating others mistakes/ heartache.

_________________
Friends don't let friends ride Mavic... or Pinarellos!

My new ride

My old rides


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:05 am
Posts: 66
Imaking20 wrote:
That's what we call "target fixation"!!!


It seems like drivers are getting ramped up for the season. I had my closest incident this weekend; which involved a pickup truck nearly running a friend and I off the road (wide, open road, middle of nowhere, no traffic) then the passenger hung out the window and tried to swing at me - followed by threatening to kill me. Good times.

I'm a fool for not paying attention to his license plate number...


Is it possible to report this to authorities and have the driver punished even if there is no collisions ? I personally witnessed one incident which a driver intimidated a cyclist riding in front of me by swaying his/her car toward the cyclist direction while riding inside the shoulder. It lasted about 2-3 minutes with the driver driving side by side with the cyclist. It got too dangerous for the cyclist which he had to stop and dismount from his bike, and that was when the car ran away. I guess it started when the rider took 1 lane of the 2 lane road for faster downhill since the shoulder surface was not smooth. eg: bumpy, cracks. It was morning there is only another car.

This kind of stuff always scares me when riding in Socal mountains, which seem to be practice circuit for motorcyclist. Last year I saw motorcyclist almost caused brush fire in Palomar mountain. The guy had accident on downhill that he slide to the side of the road, then the leaked gas from his motorcycle immediately ignited dry leaves around. Fortunately, he and his friends were able to put out the fire.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:33 pm
Posts: 272
Location: California
bomber wrote:
Had a look at the guys youtube channel and it's just video's of the same corner with motorcyclists damaging themselves and in this case others sadly! Seems ridiculously popular for celebrating others mistakes/ heartache.


it's kind of a good thing - that cameraman being there. In the unfortunate circumstances that there are accidents in that location, there will be video proof/evidence for the victims.

Better that than being run over, the motorist fleeing, no witnesses, and laying on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with no phone reception.

_________________
strava / instagram


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:48 am
Posts: 755
Location: Brighton, UK
This is just unbelievable! How on earth did the motorcyclist not see the poor fella!? He wasnt even going that fast. I cant (do not want to) believe he did it on purpose.

PS: Yeap spring seems to be "road rage season"! Drivers had it their way entire winter and are not happy to see so many cyclists out on the road. The other day I had a guy coming the opposite direction accelerate into my lane, so going in the opposite side of the road, basically threatening a head to head collision until the last second and wizzed right by me easily over 150km/h. How cowardly is that? If you have something to say to a cyclist as least have the nurve to say it in our face.

_________________
Canyon Ultimate SLX 2013 + DA9070 + Red Quarq + Corima Aero+ MCC (6.3kg)
Canyon AeroRoad + DA9000 + Lightning Power2Max + MCU's (6.5kg)
Cervelo P4 + G3 Powertap (7.78kg)
Cervelo SLC + SRAM Red 2013 + Red Quarq (6.8kg)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:35 am
Posts: 5009
Location: New York
Lawsuit! Open and shut case Johnson!

_________________
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:19 am
Posts: 769
Those who suggest the motorcycles are out in stronger force because of the camera are absolutely correct. The guy behind the camera is extremely popular and locals want to get caught on video. I've gone rounds with people about this particular road and how they should take it to the track. I have an acquaintance who has totaled 2 motorcycles on that exact turn and still defends it (even after a motorcycle accident put him in a coma for months).

nfecyle wrote:
Is it possible to report this to authorities and have the driver punished even if there is no collisions ? I personally witnessed one incident which a driver intimidated a cyclist riding in front of me by swaying his/her car toward the cyclist direction while riding inside the shoulder. It lasted about 2-3 minutes with the driver driving side by side with the cyclist. It got too dangerous for the cyclist which he had to stop and dismount from his bike, and that was when the car ran away. I guess it started when the rider took 1 lane of the 2 lane road for faster downhill since the shoulder surface was not smooth. eg: bumpy, cracks. It was morning there is only another car.

This kind of stuff always scares me when riding in Socal mountains, which seem to be practice circuit for motorcyclist. Last year I saw motorcyclist almost caused brush fire in Palomar mountain. The guy had accident on downhill that he slide to the side of the road, then the leaked gas from his motorcycle immediately ignited dry leaves around. Fortunately, he and his friends were able to put out the fire.


I would say yes, absolutely. I'll ask a buddy who's an officer in CA before I answer too specifically about their laws.

There is one key phrase that changes things; "I was in fear for my life." My weekend incident absolutely could have been fatal if the driver decided to swerve at me - even if the passenger had made contact with me when trying to swing at me. I believe the same "vehicular assault" type scenario applies as if car v. pedestrian. In my case, I could have pressed charges for the verbal death threats alone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:27 pm
Posts: 334
Location: Switzerland
aerozy wrote:
PS: Yeap spring seems to be "road rage season"! Drivers had it their way entire winter and are not happy to see so many cyclists out on the road. The other day I had a guy coming the opposite direction accelerate into my lane, so going in the opposite side of the road, basically threatening a head to head collision until the last second and wizzed right by me easily over 150km/h. How cowardly is that? If you have something to say to a cyclist as least have the nurve to say it in our face.


Wow - I just thought that scandinavian drivers were more courteous than that.


Top
 Profile  
 
Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:41 pm 


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: beswiss, Martin.dk, Mattias Hellöre, Maximilian and 10 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Why won't Hipster cyclists wave back at me?

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Cycle Chat

donham1

20

1563

Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:40 am

Juanmoretime View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Question: How do you call a ride with two cyclists?

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Cycle Chat

ave

21

1257

Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:19 pm

dominikk View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Is It O.K. to Kill Cyclists? (courtesy: The New York Times)

[ Go to page: 1, 2 ]

in Cycle Chat

kac

21

1808

Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:48 pm

kac View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Runners versus cyclists: body makeup differences?

in Cycle Chat

davidalone

11

780

Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:35 am

ultyguy View the latest post


It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:18 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Advertising   –  FAQ   –  Contact   –  Convert   –  About

© Weight Weenies 2000-2013
hosted by starbike.com


How to get rid of these ads? Just register!


Powered by phpBB