wide sit bone width, narrow saddle width

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

taina

by taina

As my riding position becomes more aggressive, I'm thinking about changing my saddle. After sitting on a strip of cardboard, and then rubbing the side of a crayon over the indentations, I measure 117 mm between the centers of the indentations. No doubt if I did this a few more times I'd get a range of results. Different sources offer different rules on how to go from sit bone width to ideal saddle width. One rule says add 20 mm to sit bone width to get minimum saddle width. As an experiment, I've taken a couple of short rides recently on an old saddle that's around 128 mm wide, without problems. So I'm skeptical about my measurement, but even more about rule-based saddle width advice. Are there people who are happily using saddles that are supposed to be too narrow for them?
Saura mon coeur que mon cul poise.

adapted from Rabelais

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wojchiech

by wojchiech

taina wrote:Are there people who are happily using saddles that are supposed to be too narrow for them?

I have used a Fizik Aliante on my older road bike and track bike (143mm width), and a San Marco Regal (150mm width) on my commuter bike. I tried a Selle Italia SLR and after it was broken in it has been the most comfortable saddle I have ridden, and actually more supportive than any saddle I've used because it directly supports sit-bones (as opposed to saddles that use more padding) and is a more flexible than most saddles.

I think the trick with finding a saddle that works is not to go by width, but by how supportive it feels. :thumbup:

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

taina wrote:Are there people who are happily using saddles that are supposed to be too narrow for them?

Read the introductory part of this article to see why the 'sit bone width' thing can be a red herring.

http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/blo ... bout-smps/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EDIT: Removed some of the quote. DIdn't mean to include it all.
Last edited by MattSoutherden on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

HillRPete

by HillRPete

In my experience, what's just as important as saddle width, is how steeply the sides are sloping, because that influences the "effective" width. Personally I like saddles that are flat laterally, and a bit turned up in the back for riding low.