US Canyon owners: HOW??

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

cendres

by cendres

I'm trying to purchase a Canyon and ship to the US. I know they used to ship here and no longer do. I've contacted Canyon and they will accept a US CC, so it's just a matter of finding a parcel forwarder/importer to receive the frame in the EU and then forward it to me here in Minnesota.

I found a company called AddressGermany.com, but their reviews are dodgy at best. Their communication isn't too hot either, as they have twice failed to answer a direct question. So, I'm still looking.

Anyone have any advice or experience here? Any WW member willing to do something like this (for a fee, of course)?

Thanks!
Chris

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

critracer26

by critracer26

i'm very interested in this as well, and would pay someone a fee to help out. I have been waiting for competitivecyclist to start selling them but that seems like it may never happen.

ak47

by ak47

Hi guys,

I'm willing to help you out for some decent fee. PM me if you are interested and we can get into details.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I spoke with Competitive cyclist recently (in the last two weeks) and the person I spoke with knew nothing about Canyon.......

So it, unfortunatly, appears it is VERY VERY unlikely CC is going to get Canyon. :cry:

djm

by djm

I'd help you out if it wasn't for the expensive shipping from Norway. UPS would be between $300 and $400 or perhaps even more to the US. VAT from Germany would also be 25% + fees upon import to Norway, instead of only 19% within the EU.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

What is the cheapest (VAT, Inport, etc...) country to buy a Canyon from?
(not mailing to the US from, but just purchasing from)

This way I can find out it I have friends in counrty who can help :thumbup:

djm

by djm

Having it shipped within the EU would be the easiest as there would be no VAT added, and no fees upon import :-)

You would only have to pay the 19% German VAT. Please correct me if I am wrong.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Would one EU country be cheaper than another, for any reason?

Roobay

by Roobay

If the item is going outside the EU then the tax is deducted (if you buy from a shop or from a direct manufactuer scenario) , once in the US import duty will be added along with the standard rate of sales tax in which ever state or county you are in.
If you are asking someone in the EU to send it to you, the the tax cannot not be deducted, so you will pay both Taxes levyed
The only way around this is to actually smuggle it in to the US, something i wouldnt recommend.
Cheers :beerchug:
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

1. Order Canyon, deliver to hotel in Europe.
2. Fly to Europe.
3. Stay in Europe. :wink:

Optional steps:
4. Pick up frame from hotel front desk.
5. Carry frame back with you on your return flight.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

carbon2329 wrote:Would one EU country be cheaper than another, for any reason?

Not really. Most EU countries are in the Eurozone (whether or not they are in the EU, this is an economic market)
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Getter

by Getter

I guess it is possible. While going through the Rock Store photos...I saw a pic of a guy riding a Canyon. I'm in So Cal.

ChristianB

by ChristianB

First reg. tax issues:
There are a difference in VAT within different member states of the EU, ranging from around 19 to 25%. This is only an issue if you are buying as a private person within the EU.

I think for anything other than one guy buys a frame for another guy as a favour there are several issues as discussed below...

If a EU company buys from Canyon the VAT can be deducted, then the frames can be exported to a dealer in the US and import and sales tax will be added. IF Canyon would agree to sell Business to Bussines, then this could be a way to do it, but there are several issues to be considered:

1) Shipping costs for a small batch of frames is high and if the rules in the states are as in EU, the import tax is calculated from the sum of the purchase price and shipping price.

2) Warranty has to go through several instances, including shipping back and forth overseas, which could make it a financial disaster for the companies involved. This can somehow be avoided by selling frames as 'used' (The only way in EU a company can sell something without warranty). This means, however, a void warranty for the customer. I don't know if this is even a possibility in the US.

3) Delivery times from Canyon are often NOT day to day, you have to wait for your frame/bike. This means that all frames in each batch would have to wait for the latest delivery - or additional shipping costs would be added.

djm

by djm

Roobay wrote:If the item is going outside the EU then the tax is deducted (if you buy from a shop or from a direct manufactuer scenario) , once in the US import duty will be added along with the standard rate of sales tax in which ever state or county you are in.
If you are asking someone in the EU to send it to you, the the tax cannot not be deducted, so you will pay both Taxes levyed
The only way around this is to actually smuggle it in to the US, something i wouldnt recommend.
Cheers :beerchug:

This wouldn't work out as long as Canyon doesn't ship to the US? No tax could be deducted for US buyers, unless they were to import it to another non-EU country. However said country would then impose its sales and/or import tax, unless there is some no sales tax zone where you could have it shipped, so no big point in doing that unless you love more red tape. US customers are doomed to pay double sales tax unless they can utilize a no-tax-zone.

You could probably ship it to some place like the UAE, they have no sales tax right? But then it's sounding more reasonable just to travel across the pond and pick one up yourself. Ride it around and bring it back to the states as a used bike and live happily ever after. Canyon will even sell you a bike case and you can have it all delivered to your hotel a day before you arrive.

Note that on deliveries within Germany Canyon uses Deutsche Post, and not DHL (which in turn is Deutsche Post owned, don't get confused), I know nothing about DP but these postal services are usually less service friendly than their "express" competitors and delivery to a hotel could be more complicated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mjduct

by mjduct

what If I have a buddy travelling to Scotland? Any dealers there that he could buy one from and bring back for me?