HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:25 pm 

So I was thinking today, are Campy still all they are cracked up to be? It seems to me that most of the big Pro teams are now using SRAM or Shimano, with many of the main ones now moving to SRAM.

Opinions?

Posted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:25 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:57 pm 

of course. Campag is still king, they will always be better than the likes of cheap, nasty Sram for one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:59 pm 

giant man wrote:
of course. Campag is still king, they will always be better than the likes of cheap, nasty Sram for one.

Cheap nasty SRAM which costs more, looks better, performs better and is lighter than Shimano?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:21 pm 

looks better? performs better? you're jk mate.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:26 pm 

giant man wrote:
looks better? performs better? you're jk mate.

No question. I also find moving brake levers to feel disgusting.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:36 pm 
in the industry

alexh wrote:
giant man wrote:

Cheap nasty SRAM which costs more, looks better, performs better and is lighter than Shimano?

Cheaper?
Sram Red, Campag Super Record & Dura Ace 9000 are all within spitting distance of each other on price, when bought through a regular dealer.

As for weight, Red does win on that single count. But it is less durable than the equivalent Shimano or Campagnolo offerings, not to mention the barely acceptable front shifting relative to Dura Ace & Record.

As for their new 11 speed offering, you can't have a 12up cassette, nor can you get a cassette with an 18T sprocket. It is only a smidge lighter than Super Record and won't be as durable.

Finally, it ain't pretty by any standard.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:45 pm 

This isn't likely to end well... especially with antiquated comments being passed already

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:46 pm 

I don't understand why so many people are [still] such Campy snobs. I have very little experience with their components, bucause their thumb levers aren't my cup of tea. From what I've seen first hand they make high quality, great performing components (though usually overpriced in the US). Shimano and SRAM also make completely solid groups. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them when looking at the Athena/105/Rival level and up. Ergonomics, shifting style, price, weight, and compatibility with your existing wheels are all valid things to consider when choosing a group. An archaic belief that one's heritage (or lack thereof) inherently makes it superior (or inferior) is not a reasonable deciding factor.

...unless your thread title question was in reference to kit choice for lanky people. Then my answer is a simple "yes". ;)

Last edited by veganeric on Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:48 pm 

a significant reason why sram is on so many bikes in the peloton is that they pay top sponsorship dollar for it. sram marketing is wayyy wayy WAYYY better than campagnolo, or shimano for that matter.

I read a year or two ago that campy tries to negotiate sponsorship deals together with their wheels , so that my be abit tricky if the team is already on another wheel sponsor. you'll notice that most of the campy spnsored teams rid campy wheels as well. similar to shimano, but maybe shimano has more flexibility here. seeing more sram in the peloton has nothing to do with it being 'better'

I will quote the secret pro on cycling tips:

"Everyone in the pro peloton bashes one particular groupset though. It’s all in good fun, but it’s an unwritten rule that you have to take the piss out of the guys who are on that groupset"

http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2013/02/l ... son-begin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I will bet a significant amount of money that that groupset is sram red.
A few years ago Garmin were BUYING dura ace DI2 groupsets even though sram offered to sponsor them based on rider feedback.

As a mechanical engineer who is currently using sram, has had sram parts fail on him man times and has actually opened up the shift mechanisms to understand why, I will tell you that I will most likely go back to shimano once my current sram goup gives up he ghost.

Sram is lighter, and I like the shift action and ergonomics, but it is just not rock steady solid as reliable as shimano. I could crash hard and not worry that my shimano group is going to be working fine. not so with sram. if you are a professional with a backup bike and mechanic, all the morepower to you, go ahead use sram. not saying that sram is a bad product... but the weight savings do have to come somewhere. just be aware what you're buying and the compromises you take.

I havent used campy, so can't comment.

having said that, the new sram 22 speed with road discs / hydraulic brakes does seem to be a game changer, which is going to be forcing shmano and campy to respond.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:49 pm 

veganeric wrote:
I don't understand why so many people are [still] such Campy snobs. I have very little experience with their components, bucause their thumb levers aren't my cup of tea. From what I've seen first hand they make high quality, great performing components (though usually overpriced in the US). Shimano and SRAM also make completely solid groups. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them when looking at the Athena/105/Rival level and up. Ergonomics, shifting style, price, weight, and compatibility with your existing wheels are all valid things to consider when choosing a group. An archaic belief that one's heritage (or lack thereof) inherently makes it superior (or inferior) is not a reasonable deciding factor.

...unless your question was in reference to kit choice for lanky people. Then my answer is a simple "yes". ;)

I agree, this post has gone off topic. My general question was one of technical/structural properties.

Also I agree with the final point - why is cycling kit not made for tall people?!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:11 pm 

I have ridden latest groupsets from all three... Shimano... Meh. Sram... almost on par with Campagnolo. I LOVE SRAM on my MTB where it belongs. It's not the feeling on your fingertips, but between your ears that's the main deciding factor. Claiming otherwise is just plain ignorant and fool. Technical/structural properties... all good enough.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:28 pm 

Rotor groupset is the best!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:03 pm 

Not a topic that's likely to end well but whatever...

It seems to be a quiet year for Campag but look where the publicity is at the moment, Shimano and now Sram making waves because they've gone 11sp. Campag has been 11sp since (thinks) 2009? Plus their electronic group is sorted. For the moment the box they're not ticking is disc braking but that's still quite future for road biking with no assurance for example that the UCI will clear discs for road racing any time soon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:40 am 

Campy is way lighter than shimano, and the graphics are not so temporal as sram. sram graphics are so cheap... campy is much more timeless. 11 speeds since long ago... BB30 cranksets, unlike shimano... has electronic, unlike sram... better ergo than shimano... crabon cranks look great, unlike shimano...

I would alway buy shimano as it's cheaper, or sram because of yaw front der... but boy, the only respectable brand here is campy. the best overall, but i can not afford it. and their shifter are not my cup of tea...

Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:40 am 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:58 am 

alexh wrote:
My general question was one of technical/structural properties.

If that is the question you are asking, can I request you please make it explicit and in the OP.

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next