Garmin Out-in-front Mounts Ad Nauseum

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

Rick wrote:I'm so weight conscious that I use the....gasp.....stock garmin bar mount!

Looking downward that extra 1/4 degree makes me more aero too! :beerchug:

I don't mind looking downward. I just don't want to look downward and say "Hey, where did my Garmin go"?
I had one of the rubber bands snap on mine, fortunately the other held it on. In one of the races I did I saw a 500 sitting in the middle of the street.
The rubber band mounts aren't that great really.

bobonker

by bobonker

This FSA one weighs an appalling 53 grams, but I like it the best. The tilt of the Garmin can be adjusted independently of the mount. I don't like how the others adjust tilt and height together. The double clamps make me feel warm and fuzzy about it not breaking eventually.

Bob

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

That FSA one is a porker: 53 grams PLUS the original Garmin mount (including the rubber band/o-rings, which can fail).

The RWD-type design can be adjusted in angle easily: just rotate the mount on the handlebar.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

eric

by eric

One of the advantges of the Raceware unit is that it holds the Garmin securely. I lost a garmin 500 at the end of a hillclimb race last year. At the time I thought that someone stole it off the bike as I was waiting for results. But when I started using that garmin mount on another bike I realized that it is much looser than the Raceware one. So now I think that I bumped the 500 loose when I hit the lap timer at the end of the race in a low oxygen brain-haze.

The Raceware mount takes noticably more force to get the Garmin loose.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Valant, what material is yours made of specifically. Delrin, nylon, plastic (which gets hard and brittle and breaks in the cold)?. Design looks good, similar to Raceware I suppose. I've got three Barflys first version at the moment and have found the lack of a positive "click" annoying. It always takes a bit of fiddling to get centered. Do like how the barfly bolts on however. The latest version to come out seems to mount it lower but has the "skeleton" exposed upwards creating what looks like nice little dirt and water reservoirs. This should be on the underside of the mount in my opinion. The other thing is that I am in the process of sending an Edge 500 back to Garmin for repair because the little tabs that fit into the mount broke off and got lodged into the mount. So until its repaired it can't be used. The Raceware product looks good to me, as does the Garmin product so I think I might try one of these. Don't like the K-Edge product simply because it's made of alloy and has two bolts instead of just one. Think it's over engineered and not as simple as the other designs. Simple and easy is good for this. Don't care about a few grams either. Shoot me, but please don't "stone me" like some other poster suggested for someone. :)
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

woz9683

by woz9683

plastic doesn't mean anything, there are thousands of plastics, many with very different characteristics. Nylon is in fact one of them, as is delrin. Also, since he's just in prototyping phase I'd imagine he still has to test multiple materials first. Since he's going to be molding them, he has to have the mold made first, then tested with different types of plastics (because the strength characteristics of an injection molded material will be different than the same material that has been 3D printed).

valant

by valant

rowdysluggins wrote:If it is < 15 grams, is that with steel or ti or al bolt? I would think that an al bolt would be adequate if torqued correctly. In fact, maybe a coarse nylon screw directly into the mount?
If the bolt material selection could lower the weight by 3 or 4 grams to make it the "lightest" Garmin mount, it would be worth even more money to us weight weenies. :)

Sub 15g was meant including stainless steel bolt and nut... I indeed wanted to make it as light as possible, because weight is rather important factor to some and being the lightest should help me when it comes to selling :lol:
I never thought about the titanium bolt and I'm vary happy you pointed this out... I will definitely try to offer Ti bolts, probably as an optional extra :)
I will think about the nylon bolts you mentioned.. We've been producing bolts in the past, though those were meant for different application... I shall recalculate if it pays off... Producing moulds for each new part it's quite an investment you see :)

Calnago wrote:@Valant, what material is yours made of specifically. Delrin, nylon, plastic (which gets hard and brittle and breaks in the cold)?. Design looks good, similar to Raceware I suppose.

Well picking up a material is quite a process... There are many factors that define the final decision... material has to function well on your product, it has to be appropriate for your given moulding process, etc.
I wanted to make it using carbon fibre reinforced nylon composite however I suspect it won't be appropriate as it tends to crack if stretched, isn't elastic enough ( remember, mount has to stretch over the bar at installation )..
Next alternative is some kind of PEhd (high-density Polyethylene) or there is one other material that we've been testing for plastic springs, hard and elastic at once...

woz9683 wrote:plastic doesn't mean anything, there are thousands of plastics, many with very different characteristics. Nylon is in fact one of them, as is delrin. Also, since he's just in prototyping phase I'd imagine he still has to test multiple materials first. Since he's going to be molding them, he has to have the mold made first, then tested with different types of plastics (because the strength of an injection molded material will be different than the same material that has been 3D printed).

:exactly: :goodpost:

First I will pick a few types of plastic, then After my moulds are done, i'll do the testing to see which material handles best :thumbup:
And indeed, material characteristics are different if a product is injected or 3D printed... characteristics of a printed product can be similar to the ones of an injected product, however only to a certain degree. So I guess that's also my plus, comparing to Raceware's mount :mrgreen:

OK, some of you asked for a photo, how it will look on a bike... these are the closest I cold make, showing you how it should look like in real life...

P.S. This photos clearly show what prototyping is all about... The gap on the loop that comes around the bar is faaaar to wide... it is a design fault and it will be corrected... the gap is going to be 2mm wide max :)

VALANT :D
Last edited by valant on Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep the wind at your back and the sun on your face!

valant

by valant

P.S.S Thank you all, for reviewing my work :thumbup:
Keep the wind at your back and the sun on your face!

woz9683

by woz9683

Consider polypropylene, with a fiberglass filler perhaps? Agree that nylon would likely be too brittle, even without a filler.

doomith

by doomith

There is Tillquists's mount as well!

dmp

by dmp

i bought the Fliplock from designcycles (http://www.designcycles.net and am very happy with it. Only 12g, too. It grips the mount very well, positioning is good, nice esthetics, and reasonable price. BTW, hasn't all of this been discussed on an earlier thread in great detail?

pje0713

by pje0713

The design cycles one looks great, I'm ordering to check it out.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

dmp wrote:i bought the Fliplock from designcycles (http://www.designcycles.net and am very happy with it. Only 12g, too.

That one does look nice, and I might have to order one.
BTW, hasn't all of this been discussed on an earlier thread in great detail?

Probably. Everything has pretty much been discussed before. I missed that thread, but this one caught my eye.

pje0713

by pje0713

I ordered the fliplock from designcycles

With the red alum bolt they supply with the mount, it's just over 12g

But swapping to a kcnc bottle cage bolt saves just a tad of weight, and avoids the gaudy red aluminum... (nice that standard bottle cage bolts fit, unlike raceware and sram mounts.

Final weight right at 12g

Here's how it looks on the bars...

My notes -- same story as raceware direct more or less, except it's slightly lighter. Only disadvantage is the surface is a dark charcoal, not a true black and the texture is a little fuzzy/velvet-like. I like the raceware slightly better aesthetically, but they are both black plastic things that are mostly hidden by the garmin so I'm not that worried about it. Moreover, grams are grams, and design cycles has fewer of them. I've been riding twice with it and no problems at all. Garmin lines up with stem nicely and holds the garmin well.

Overall, it's a close call between the designcycles and the raceware direct one. I'm sticking with the design cycles one for now. It's marginally lighter, the surface texture doesn't bother me, i like that it accepts standard bottle cage bolts, and one other flaw for the raceware direct one -- the bolt extends through the bottom side after it's tightened all the way and that bothers me for some reason... i feel like it could rub a cable or catch on something unintentionally.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Sub 15g was meant including stainless steel bolt and nut... I indeed wanted to make it as light as possible, because weight is rather important factor to some and being the lightest should help me when it comes to selling :lol:
I never thought about the titanium bolt and I'm vary happy you pointed this out... I will definitely try to offer Ti bolts, probably as an optional extra :)
I will think about the nylon bolts you mentioned.. We've been producing bolts in the past, though those were meant for different application... I shall recalculate if it pays off... Producing moulds for each new part it's quite an investment you see :)

Alu bolts would be lighter and cheaper than Ti, not to mention possibly more colourful. Pick a standout colour and make it part of your brand identity.