Garmin Out-in-front Mounts Ad Nauseum

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Getter

by Getter

Haha...my girlfriend is the one that broke the 200! She pulls as she twists the unit...instead of just gently twisting. She did it using the K-Edge mount.

I have the 1.0 Barlfy and its a softer material than the SRAM one I currently have. I don't like that it doesn't click and center itself.

Razor

by Razor

Calnago wrote:
Razor wrote:
Calnago wrote:His Garmin must still be under warranty. I was out of luck that way when the tabs broke off mine using a Barfly. I find the Garmin mount a nicer product and its more gentle on the head unit... Not so tight but still a nice positive click.

Isn't the Barfly plastic? I would think that the plastic on plastic connection would not cause a tab break, what do you think caused the break in your case?

Yes, the barfly is plastic, or a derivative, but I actually think it was a combination of things, the first being the tightness of the Barfly (it is very tight, compared to say, the new Garmin mount). Also, it may have been the age of the head unit itself as plastic becomes more brittle with age. But I think a large factor was (the computer was on my girlfriend's bike) that my girlfriend wasn't exactly the most gentle with her equipment. I could see her just kind of twisting and pulling. So... can't say for sure which one contributed mostly to the breaking of the tabs... but the broken tabs were pretty wedged in to the Barfly afterwards. I think it is just way too tight. I guess the new Garmin head units also come with a little safety harness (friend has a new 510) which actually loops around the mount (or handlebar, can't remember which) in case of an accidental dislodging of the unit. That's a good feature actually.

Interesting. My friend had the first Barfly mount and from his first 500 to his new 510 (a span of 2 years), no broken tabs so I can only assume he was using the same removal motion for both units without any issues. With the FarNear mount, 1 month later the tab is broke. Could have been the tabs were being stressed over time and the aluminum mount just added more to that and finally the tabs broke. Maybe the tabs should be made of a hardened gel material that is still stiff but gives just a little when users are pulling up while twisting or maybe there needs to be more detailed removal instructions for the heavy-handed :P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

It is ironic how I posted earlier that I was using the Garmin mount....
Because I recently switched to the Barfly 2.0 and I really liked it.
Until yesterday, when I took my Edge 500 out, one of the tabs snapped off and remained in the mount.
:|
So I pulled out the stuck piece and I was carefully inserting and removing the Garmin with its one remaining tab to see exactly how the enagement happens....AND THE SECOND TAB ALSO BROKE OFF!

So now my Edge 500 has no tabs.

It may be a bit of a compination of conditions, because the tabs do look fragile and have stress concentrations at the edges, where they join the main body; but the Barfly 2.0 is also definitely a lot tighter and stiffer than the factory mount. I have one of those on another bike, so I immediately went and compared.

Now, I am temporarily holding my Garmin to the Barfly with a ziptie over the top. :evil:

tinozee

by tinozee

These garmins are cheapo crap. The rubber usb protector on mine ripped off after like a week. Technically they are sloooow too. Kludgy settings UI, etc.

Step it up garmin.

Getter

by Getter

Give Garmin a call...depending on the rep...they may warranty it.

marcelflash

by marcelflash

K-Edge TT Black is in.
used some carbon paste and now it is rock solid and can easily remove my EDGE 810 because of the build in turn mechanism in the K-Edge so I don`t need to turn my garmin.
I couldn`t remove my 810 with the zipp mount. only the 500 was small enough between the extentions to turn and remove
This is the zipp garmin mount version 2.0

Devon

by Devon

tranzformer

by tranzformer

But your Garmin is useless and rubbish so what is the point of getting a mount for it since you should just chuck it away? At least that is what I learned on WW today. :lol:

Those mounts do look nice but I think the standard plastic mount from Garmin does the job just fine.

rijndael

by rijndael

I like that the points where it interfaces with the Garmin is plastic, rather than metal. It also looks replaceable.

Devon

by Devon

tranzformer wrote:Those mounts do look nice but I think the standard plastic mount from Garmin does the job just fine.

Well yes, but it's more than twice the price of the Superstar...

tranzformer

by tranzformer

Yes, for the price the Sueprstar is a great deal. I got my my Garmin with the performance package or whatever it is called with the HRM. I was also able to pick up 2 extras when there was a sale on them for around $15-20 which I thought was a fair deal. But yes, this is a good deal for a replacement or extra if you can't find the Garmin on sale. Wasn't trying to imply these are bad in any way, just that I like the Garmin one and have been happy with it so far.

RichieE46

by RichieE46

Thanks for the post. Gonna order one later today.

I'm using the K-edge one right now (the older version) and the mounting point is all metal.

Is the plastic mounting point that much better where people don't break their garmin tabs anymore? I guess is the plastic portion that big of a deal compared to the metal mounting points

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Devon

by Devon

Can't comment on the quality as I've not received mine yet!

trychle

by trychle

This might be a bit off topic, but still good to hear.
I ordered some other stuff at Superstar components last week and got some free gummy bears with it! :mrgreen:

53x12

by 53x12

Thanks for sharing Devon. Looks like a good deal. Any one in North America have any issues with ordering from these guys? Seems like shipping is decently fair, especially if you could fit 2-3 on the same order with shipping.

I was also considering this guy, Tate Labs Bar Fly 2.0 which looks really nice and gets good reviews.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/tate-labs-bar-fly-2.0
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com