Garmin Out-in-front Mounts Ad Nauseum

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

I just switched from Racewaredirect model to Garmin OutFront. My Racewaredirect mount was only 13.X grams and the Garmin 26.X grams, so there's a minor weight weenie penalty. The Racewaredirect version held the 800 tightly, but it was slightly off-center while the Outfront is aligned exactly with the stem. Also, the little fastening bolt on the racewaredirect went all the way through and rubbed on some of my Di2 wires, while the Outfront is not exposed. They both nicely mount the 800 level with or below the bars.
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Here's one by Far and Near, with tool-free extension adjustment.

Devon

by Devon

I like that ^

ms6073

by ms6073

alexh wrote:I know this, but worrying over 16 grammes is a little excessive.
Stone the blasphemer! :mrgreen:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

valant

by valant

Hey there, I'm so glad that you opened this thread!
You see, I'm working on my first bigger project right now and it is the Garmin mount. I wanted to show this project in my introduction thread however this thread is already opened so I'll simply reveal the whole thing in here :wink:

My grandfather owns a company that produces blow- and injection-moulded products, mainly "road furniture"... So me, being a cyclist, wanted to start my own project that would be in relation to the sport I like so much...

So the initial idea was this handlebar mount for Garmin computers... There are a few companies that offer these mounts though none of the products are great... so I designed my own, keeping in mind the things which were wrong with products that are already on the market (by Sram, Garmin, Barfly, K-edge, etc....)

So, this is a raw model of what I'm up to (one of the first) ... I've been developing it for quite some time, therefore there are some minor changes on the actual current model however I'll keep you updated in the future :D

And this is picture of the first prototype :

Just some facts: It is going to weight sub 15g ( the plastic body is going to weight around thick 10g plus the bolt and nut .. I reckon it's going to be something around 13-ish alltogether )..
It is going to be available in colours, it'll have this nice minimalistic shape, that puts the computer in line with the stem yet it will be robust enough to support the computer firmly.

Please share your thoughts, if there is anything you would make different about it please tell and say it LOUD, because I'm now in pre-production phase of the project where anything can be changed. I'm planning to put it on market before the end of May, until then I'll keep you updated in my introduction thread :D

VALANT :wink:
Keep the wind at your back and the sun on your face!

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

What's it look like on the bike?

valant

by valant

I havent put it on a bike yet because of the material that prototype is made of (cheap polysthyrene - dont know why the company that printed it for me used this crap material but now it is, what is.. prototype is 3D printed btw ). It doesn't stretch enough to get it over the bar, however I will post how it looks like fixed on the bar that isnt mounted on a bike, with my garmin edge 500 cliped on it (as on farnear's photo). :)

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

I like the looks of the prototype. So, what perceived design flaws/shortcomings from the currently available mounts are you looking to correct?

One thing I like about the Garmin Outfront versus the others is the way the "swing arm" is more/mostly hidden from view (top angle) when the 800 is mounted. Minimalism is best.

2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

valant

by valant

carlislegeorge wrote:I like the looks of the prototype. So, what perceived design flaws/shortcomings from the currently available mounts are you looking to correct?

Thx! :thumbup:

well first, from my perspective, I find most of the mounts on the market rather pricey... At the end of the day, it's still just a peace of plastic.. And second, none of them is available in colours (apart from K-edge)...
to start with sram's mount... it's light, stiff, it's well priced and therefore quite a bang for the buck, however people are complaining about the fact that computer isn't aligned with the stem...
Garmin's own product seems to be a well made peace, but it is too expensive plus it's one "heavy lump"...
Barfly... well the only cons that I see is the bulky looks... And maybe the fact that it comes only in black (and white?)..
K-edge, it's pricey, it's heavy, it looks like a military machine.. However for someone, that doesn't mind all that it might just be a great peace of kit as it is by far the stiffest..

So basicaly, what I'm trying to do is find a compromise between all of this... That's why I'd be very glad if anyone puts an opinion on my prototype... There might have been somethng that I missed when designing it ;)

:beerchug:

eric

by eric

Raceware's comes in many colors.

valant

by valant

eric wrote:Raceware's comes in many colors.

It does indeed, my bad! :sorry:
Raceware is pricey, hehe :twisted:

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

If it is < 15 grams, is that with steel or ti or al bolt? I would think that an al bolt would be adequate if torqued correctly. In fact, maybe a coarse nylon screw directly into the mount?
If the bolt material selection could lower the weight by 3 or 4 grams to make it the "lightest" Garmin mount, it would be worth even more money to us weight weenies. :)

Rick

by Rick

I'm so weight conscious that I use the....gasp.....stock garmin bar mount!

Looking downward that extra 1/4 degree makes me more aero too! :beerchug:

vwo05

by vwo05

I have Morten Tillquists garmin mount for the 3T ARX LTD stem and have measured it at 11 grams.

There is also added weight due to 2 longer bolts that must be used.

The two bolts weigh 10 grams vs the 3T bolts that weigh 4 grams. So overall weight increase is 17 grams.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com