Racing/Training in the UK (London and surroundings)

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

aerozy

by aerozy

Hi guys! I'm moving to London in two weeks time and was hoping you UK weenies could introduce me to the south UK cycling scene. I'll be based in London but Im willing to travel around for weekend races.

1) First off what kind of races are there? I'd love to do some stage racing, or elite road races (>120km). I'd be also interested in local crits even though its not my cup of tea. I love time trialing so super interested in them! Never raced in mountains so would love to try that out too.
2) How do the racing categories work? I already have an Elite license. Could I go straight to Cat 1 or 2 or would I have to start at the bottom of the ladder?
3) As Ive mentioned Ill be based in London, north London to be specific. Any group rides out there? A fellow WW has informed me that all the good group rides are south of London. Any starting in North London?
4) As with most people I mostly train on my own. I like long rides preferably with long climbs. Where are the nicest routes? Preferably from North London and going North. Feel free to post south London routes too.

Just for the record some of you may remember I posted a similar post concerning a 4 month stay in Melbourne, Australia in the beggining of the year. I ended up not doing a single race. I crashed heavily (55km/h) and tore all my right shouler ligaments. Spent the rest of my time recovering. Now back to full strength so looking forward to getting back to racing.

Looking forward to your answers! Thanks again! David :thumbup:
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Plenty of places out Hertfordshire way.

Check www.bikely.com

Where in North London are you planning to be based?

aerozy

by aerozy

I should be based in Muswell Hill or around Crouch end. Thanks for the link!

How about racing guys?
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

gazrichards

by gazrichards

If you are in muswell hill you are just a short ride until you are out of the city and into some decent cycling areas. head north and you each the chilterns (hertfordshire/buckinghamshire) there are road races in this area too (check the british cycling area for races in central region)
In london you also have permanent crit courses at hoghill (east london) and hillingdon (west london) there are also crits regularly at crystal palace (south london).
cycling s also popular in the parks but to be honest you are perhaps better off just fleeing the city for your longer rides.

there are lots of sportives in the area too as the terrain in the chilterns is pretty challanging.

as for cycling clubs I think Finchley RT is quite a big club and probably local to you as well as maybe east london velo. there are quite a few clubs based inside london. again do a club search on british cycling for central region clubs.

llhh

by llhh

Warming up a rather old topic but as I am visiting Crouch End / Muswell Hill area for the weekend and I have my bike with me I was curious if there are any group rides in the area coming weekend? Any hints welcome. As I left my Garmin behind venturing off without my GPS seems a bit too adventurous, so trailing some locals would be just perfect :mrgreen:
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

We have a club run that goes throughout the summer, usually with a faster and slower group.

Sadly I'm not around this weekend, but I can put you in touch with a few of the guys who live in that area and will be going out.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

RippedUp

by RippedUp

I am in London for the month of August and staying in Kingston/Teddington. Would love to ride with anyone living in this area as I am not very familiar with the routes over here.
Any assistance would be fantastic :beerchug:

llhh

by llhh

MattSoutherden wrote:Sadly I'm not around this weekend, but I can put you in touch with a few of the guys who live in that area and will be going out.

That would be great! Can you maybe PM me their contacts? Many thanks!
Parlee Z1 Super Record
Dogma F Red AXS

damitamit

by damitamit

llhh wrote:Warming up a rather old topic but as I am visiting Crouch End / Muswell Hill area for the weekend and I have my bike with me I was curious if there are any group rides in the area coming weekend? Any hints welcome. As I left my Garmin behind venturing off without my GPS seems a bit too adventurous, so trailing some locals would be just perfect :mrgreen:

The club I ride with rides from Hatch End, thou we do have a couple guys coming from Crounch End (I think you can get the London Overground to Hatch End with your bike). www.gregarios.co.uk. They ride Sundays, thou I wont be out this weekend.

Alternatively (and closer), there's the new Islington CC. I believe they meet in Upper Holloway. http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/club/p ... ub_id=2040

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

llhh wrote:That would be great! Can you maybe PM me their contacts? Many thanks!

Will get some details and send them over later this evening. :)
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

Maximilian

by Maximilian

RippedUp wrote:I am in London for the month of August and staying in Kingston/Teddington. Would love to ride with anyone living in this area as I am not very familiar with the routes over here.
Any assistance would be fantastic :beerchug:

Either Twickenham CC or Kingston wheelers are good local clubs with many different rides.

You can find the Twickenham rides under "activities" http://www.twickenhamcc.co.uk/tcc/

Here's the Kingston link: http://www.kingstonwheelers.co.uk/

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I lived in London from September 2011 to October 2012. I joined London Phoenix while I stayed there (based on a suggestion here). They have multiple North London weekend rides, which I really enjoyed. They have a forum, but I'm not sure it's possible to access it without being a member (not so clever IMHO).

We used to meet at The Bald Faced Stag.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com