Oregon Road Scene

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

If a person was to spend some riding time in Oregon what is the best place to use as a base? Portland? Bend? Other.

Any good club rides worth joining?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

I lived in Portland for 10 years, and rode all over the east side of town. Mainly Gresham, Sandy, and all the little towns, and roads in between. In the summer, you can ride until 8:00 at night, and it's still light out. The downsides were, there's not a lot of bike lanes on the rural roads, and the hill billy factor can be quite high.

My family vacations in Bend, and the riding there is unbelievable. If I had the money, I'd spend my summers in Bend, and ride every day. It's that good. The roads are excellent, and during the week, there's hardly any traffic, at all.

If you have a choice, I'd say go with Bend.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like Bend is the place to be.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

No problem. Bend has MTB riding that is unbelievable, too, if that's your thing. Every time I go there, I try to ride every day, on some kind of bike!!

jedijeck

by jedijeck

Did some mountain biking in Bend last year...twas awesome!
Dedacciai Scuro RS - For Sale (frame & fork)
Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune Columbus TSX
Merlin Extralight
Santa Cruz Tazmon

kevhogaz

by kevhogaz

jedijeck wrote:Did some mountain biking in Bend last year...twas awesome!

My family goes crazy wondering where I am, when I hop on a MTB, in Bend. There's so much riding to do, I go crazy, and stay out for hours!!

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

Bend is the best, however if you need to be near a bigger city for work while here there are awesome routes outside Portland East or West. I personally can ride 10 miles of flat roads/ 10 miles of hills (with nice grades)/ 10 miles of flats roads to get back all after work in the evenings. We have the West hills just a few miles outside PDX and further past Beaverton nice little routes with 7500* of elevation gain total 45 mile route.

Oregon may have some rain, but some of the rides are top shelf if you like hills.
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Spent three days riding (and drinking beer) in Bend in Oct. Pleasant road riding. Didn't think it really compared to the Bay Area though. Should have brought my mountain bike instead.

Now the loop around Crater Lake, that was another story entirely. Wow. Did that a few times.

2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

lordconqueror

by lordconqueror

if you also mountain bike, there is more riding around bend than portland (oakridge).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jedijeck

by jedijeck

jmilliron wrote:Spent three days riding (and drinking beer) in Bend in Oct. Pleasant road riding. Didn't think it really compared to the Bay Area though. Should have brought my mountain bike instead.

Now the loop around Crater Lake, that was another story entirely. Wow. Did that a few times.

I want to do this ride someday. It's just beautiful up there. Nice photo!
Dedacciai Scuro RS - For Sale (frame & fork)
Greg Lemond Maillot Jaune Columbus TSX
Merlin Extralight
Santa Cruz Tazmon