Pro's Not Clever Enough to Fit Triples

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

We are now at the stage in pro cycling where pros are mostly using electronic gear shifting and the switch to triples for certain races is a whole load of work. This is a shame because us spectators want to see them race up +25% gradients. So Signor Aquarone, you got it right ... the pros got it wrong: http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/03/ ... far_277610

I remember the Vuelta going up the Angliru for the first time, not all that long ago. Lots of the pros switched to triples for that stage.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Kasparz

by Kasparz

Triple cranksets are for pussies, I'd rather walk too!

eric

by eric

27% on wet pavement is hard, but it's not like there aren't plenty of ways to get low gearing with double chainrings (130m or 110mm BCD). 7900 D2I will shift a 32t cog, at least on some frames. Sram will shift XX MTB parts giving you a 36t cog if you desire.

djm

by djm

11-32 shifts nicely on my Di2 Aeroad. I guess most could fit a 30t or a 29t.. Surprised not more riders did. Cunego seemed to have a pretty decent cadence and good gearing?

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I don't even think that the teams even have triple to equip their team. That'd be a ridiculous amount of mechanic work just for one stage. wide range cassette makes way more sense. And adding more torque does not make a wheel slipping on wet pavement any less of a problem.

KWalker

by KWalker

Why would they bother for 1 stage of a minor race?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I'd be more concerned about flipping over backwards than looking like a fool walking. There's a hill around here (very, very short) That's over 20% and you do really have to pay attention for your front end not come unglued from the ground if you push too hard.lol

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I think Sig. Aquarone has just about found the limit then with gradients, which I think is a shame. I am guessing the unwritten rule is about 25%. But I guess how wet the road is and the amount of debris also needs to be factored in.

And just because the pros don't have the right gearing for steep inclines doesn't mean to say that the race is somehow 'invalid' or 'stupid'. It just means that they haven't fitted low enough gears. And it wouldn't be the first time that guys have walked up a steep incline in a bike race.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Plenty of hills around here with bits of 20%+ grade. I wouldnt seek them out in the rain though!

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Plenty of 25%ers around here, and you can ride them in snow if you're good enough ;-)

I blame light bikes and good quality Tarmac for their failures...
:-))
Official cafe stop tester

mattr

by mattr

Valbrona wrote:Lots of the pros switched to triples for that stage.
No need now tho is there?
The DA double is now only available as a compact (ish) size crank.
And for the last few years, with the massively profiled machined chainrings we are seeing (rather than flat stamped/CNCed aluminium) you can have a 110bcd and a 50+ tooth chainring, and run a 36 or 34 next to it, with out having 10mm of wobble when you stamp on the cranks. The Di2 mechs make it easier to shift these big steps too.
Plus even your mechanical front mechs are far stiffer than they used to be, they can handle bigger steps. (Obv. excluding sram red :wink: )

Its not that they can't get the gears to get up stuff like that on a double, its just that they didn't have them. Today.

Youcef

by Youcef

So you missed them walking up the 27% hill yesterday in Tirreno?

wingguy

by wingguy

Valbrona wrote:It just means that they haven't fitted low enough gears. And it wouldn't be the first time that guys have walked up a steep incline in a bike race.

Yeah. Apart from the time cut issue I don't know why it's so bad for this race when it's good for others. The Koppenberg's famous for walking and it hasn't done Flanders any harm, has it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Youcef wrote:So you missed them walking up the 27% hill yesterday in Tirreno?

mattr wrote:Its not that they can't get the gears to get up stuff like that on a double, its just that they didn't have them.
:roll: