Bike fitting near Boston

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Bostonbull

by Bostonbull

Any shops jump out as being better than another? Hearing great things about Fitwerx2 up in Peabody and Pedal Power down in Medford.

Don't mind spending money, as long as it is well spent!
Get busy living, or get busy dying

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

Best one in the area is ATA Cycles in Concord. I've heard good things about Landry's as well.

Dean is doing a good job at FW2 as well, but I was less impressed with the original FitWerx, guess it's hit or miss.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

FastforaSlowGuy

by FastforaSlowGuy

+1 for ATA. Hussam is not the cheapest, but after being fit by at least 3 other shops (including FW2) I wouldn't go any other place.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

craig gaulzetti aka "the jerk"

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

No need to pay for a fitting with the jerk. We know what he'll say: "Your stem is too short!"

Bostonbull

by Bostonbull

Which shop is he with?

tdudzik

by tdudzik

Bicycle Bills in Allston, MA. Can't go wrong.

bicyclebills.net

Bostonbull

by Bostonbull

Not a fan of International anyway so no loss there.

Any particular fit tool I should want? Which device/bike should I seek out?

eordman

by eordman

I'm a fan of FitWerx but I haven't experienced the others. Haven't heard great things about the people at ATA, but nothing about the fitting part.

Also, Dean Phillips is a beast.

r_mutt

by r_mutt

tools and devices are no match for experience and knowledge. yeah, retul is a "science", but it's a science that must be applied by the operator. i'm sure that the fitters who use a "method", at least the good ones, use a combination of that science and knowledge gleaned from riding and fitting 100's of people. i wouldn't pick a methodology or a fitter that uses certain tools over someone who has vast experience as a fitter.

personally, i would go with craig. not only has he fit 100's of cyclists, he was formally a bike racer abroad, and presently, one of the few fitters who is also owns his own bike company.

http://www.embrocationmagazine.com/stor ... etti-corsa

http://2013.handmadebicycleshow.com/201 ... i-cicli-2/

FastforaSlowGuy

by FastforaSlowGuy

I've heard good things about Craig, as well, but he's one of the few I haven't experienced.

My qualm with FitWerx is their philosophy is a much more stretched out form than what I like. They take the same measurements as everyone else, but as Mutt said, it's about how that data gets applied. Every shop/fitter has their own philosophy.

Husam (fitter at ATA) is great, and his mechanics are great. Some of the sale staff are a little off, but (except for my current frameset) I go there for fitting not buying. He has all the latest gadgets, but more importantly he does 100s of fittings a year for pros to recreational riders.

Whoever you go with, have a long talk with him/her first. The tools (Retul, size-cycle, etc.) is just that. It's the user that matters.

Bostonbull

by Bostonbull

What are your thoughts on Guru Fit?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

Guru Fit is just another tool (albeit a good one)... The quality of the fit is still up to the fitter, so find the fitter you are the most comfortable with (you do put a lot of trust in one persons opinion/experience).
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin