Giro Air Attack

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bura

by bura

tinchy wrote:Ha, even the pros hate these new goofy helmets..

''The talk of the peloton is about these ridiculous “aero” helmets they’re making us wear. I mean … seriously? They always put them on the big name riders first and then they start trickling down to the rest of us. You’ll see Specialized’s new helmet on Boonen right now. They had a great looking helmet and now what what they’ve done? Scott, Lazer, Kask, Uvex … almost all of them have gone backwards. We’re now on these absolutely ridiculous looking Giro helmets now and every iteration is getting worse and worse. ''

http://www.cyclingtips.com.au/2013/04/the-secret-pro-the-spring-classics/

When there is no story around the "secret pro" steps in.
One of the myths about the teams.
Let's say your team is sponsored by Giro you are free to wear either a "ridiculous" looking aero helmet or some Aeon.
What ever you wear please do not wear these dump black "sun glasses" of the secret pro in the link where you can see only with one eye. :shock:
What ever secret pros and lego playing guys write or think the Giro AA will find its way everywhere where cyclists can be seen.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

Cat6TT

by Cat6TT

Funny, sounds like we'll be seeing a greater proportion of these on self-sponsored riders than pros. At least for a while. My goofy Giro should be here tomorrow.
“It’s important to understand the ‘aggregation of marginal gains.’" -- David Brailsford

“If you’re a cyclist, you need to have the upper body of a 12-year-old girl and the lower body of a power lifter.” -- Peter Park

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinchy

by tinchy

each to their own I spose

Cat6TT

by Cat6TT

My medium came in a touch lighter at 280 grams even. 77 gram savings from the large Ionos I am downsizing from.
“It’s important to understand the ‘aggregation of marginal gains.’" -- David Brailsford

“If you’re a cyclist, you need to have the upper body of a 12-year-old girl and the lower body of a power lifter.” -- Peter Park

Kasparz

by Kasparz

My German made aero road helmet in Size L is 291g(290 claimed), but with papers attached, so probably it's even lighter than claimed. Size M is 260g claimed. Your Giro's are boat anchors.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Kasparz, what helmet? Pictures?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Pick the Pro that isn't keen on Classics/flat roads ;)

Kasparz

by Kasparz

prendrefeu wrote:Kasparz, what helmet? Pictures?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=106811&start=15#p914201

headwind816

by headwind816

With minimum ventilation, I may pick up the Air Attack for CX racing. If the aero shaves off .001 watts, I will be happy by the 60-minute mark, lol.

Kasparz

by Kasparz

It will save you more watts than your precious carbon wheels with Dugast tubs ;)

KWalker

by KWalker

^no, it won't actually. The savings are minimal and assume that a rider has a relatively aero position to begin with. Where your head falls in line with/above/below your torso has a much greater affect on drag than this helmet. Switching from poor to good tires has a bigger effect. Even raising one's bars to reduce the frontal area of the arms has a greater affect.

I know quite a few riders on Giro-sponsored domestic pro teams. They wear the air attack because they're encouraged to do so when they can to satisfy their sponsor. So far this year they've done it in medium to cold weather when sweat isn't an issue. I've seen more unsponsored riders jazzed about this helmet than they are.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Cat6TT

by Cat6TT

headwind816 wrote:With minimum ventilation, I may pick up the Air Attack for CX racing. If the aero shaves off .001 watts, I will be happy by the 60-minute mark, lol.

The ventilation is actually pretty good IME. It was 90F/32C out when I used it yesterday, and it seemed just as cool as my Ionos, without all of the wind buffeting I get with the latter. Cooling definitely improves the faster you go as air is forced through the helmet (this feels a little odd, but it works).

However this is the non-visor version -- I expect that the visor version would lose a lot of cooling since the visor blocks the air intakes below the brim. I note that I haven't seen many pros wearing the visor.

I am content with the cooling of the non-visor version and see no need to go back to skeletal helmets. Of course I may eat my words once it gets really hot here. We'll see.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Cat6TT: quick question because it related to the 'cooling' affect you are feeling... How much hair do you have on the top of your head? (In all honesty)

Just asking because I've read plenty of reviews in the press on helmets' cooling and venting, but all the testers seem to be bald (shaved to compensate for hair loss/thinning or already fully bald). Those of us with thicker lock of hair may feel less of that 'cooling effect' ?
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

bura

by bura

Cat6TT wrote:
headwind816 wrote:With minimum ventilation, I may pick up the Air Attack for CX racing. If the aero shaves off .001 watts, I will be happy by the 60-minute mark, lol.

However this is the non-visor version -- I expect that the visor version would lose a lot of cooling since the visor blocks the air intakes below the brim. I note that I haven't seen many pros wearing the visor.
I am content with the cooling of the non-visor version and see no need to go back to skeletal helmets. Of course I may eat my words once it gets really hot here. We'll see.

I have noticed that the shield version has been seen in two different visor designs.
One version has some air intake holes in the shield
here http://www.artscyclery.com/videos/index ... ode=GAASH3
and the other has no air intake
here http://www.artscyclery.com/descpage-GAASH3.html
Not sure if the air intakes are for a clear visor or free the way for the air intake in front of the helmet as shown in the original Giro video on their website.
Let's wait and see which visor design the end product has.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cat6TT

by Cat6TT

Ah, yes -- we will see.