I'm not getting the Garmin

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

Ok so I was playing around with a garmin edge 800 and I fully fail to see why this thing is popular enough to have a race team.

I may just not be getting the full experience but my initial impression is pretty low.

First off its $650. I am not opposed to spend money on bike stuff but why is tho thing $650?

-the graphics look like an early 1990's Nintendo game. I have used my iPhone for mapmyride and while I think the elevation tracking is poor, and it has faults, the retina display and colours and graphics are several generations more advanced.

-I know garmin makes good products and is the leader in gps. I was looking at some hiking garmin and for $200 you get a similar quality screen and for over $400 ou get topographical maps.

-same with boat garmins. For the price you get a really in depth device or our boat.

What am I missing? Or am I missing nothing and it sucks. So far I'll give in a $250 value.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Well you an't getting one then are you!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 113245

He has a point, though... A garmin is really not an advanced piece of technology...

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Then he can make is own.. Market it. Provide mapping solutions... Etc, etc, ect and then charge $250 for em..

I agree that a few features could be better but.. They are not and there is nothing better on the market..

mattr

by mattr

So, if you are just playing around with it, you probably aren't using the speed function, the route following functions, the power monitoring functions or the hr functions.

If you don't need these features, don't buy an 800. Buy a map and compass instead.

That's why I got a 605 instead of a 705. Loses loads of feature i don't need.

bura

by bura

No doubt about this that there are people out there who need things like this for what ever reason.
Do not question them because it is in the sentence "what ever reason".
Some will buy a Selle Italia Teknologika Saddle instead of a equal shaped Chinese one.
Some will spend 200 dollars for bottle cages instead of 20 even if the latter ones are lighter and doing the same job.
They will spend their money for "energy" drinks in small cans promised to give them wings.
And why shall they have any reason to doubt it if Mr.Baumgartner got some ?
And all these phenomenon can make other people be able not only to owe a bike team but a Formula 1 team.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

sugarkane wrote:Well you an't getting one then are you!

I'm firmly in this camp, too. You don't like it? thanks for sharing, and don't buy one. Then go to the Garmin website forums to complain.
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

Anders3404

by Anders3404

You do know that similar and chaper devices are available. Bryton and Mio makes some. I haven't seen any reviews on the Mio, but Bryton has received some good ones

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dcgriz

by Dcgriz

Northoceanbeach wrote:Ok so I was playing around with a garmin edge 800 and I fully fail to see why this thing is popular enough to have a race team.

I may just not be getting the full experience but my initial impression is pretty low.

First off its $650. I am not opposed to spend money on bike stuff but why is tho thing $650?

-the graphics look like an early 1990's Nintendo game. I have used my iPhone for mapmyride and while I think the elevation tracking is poor, and it has faults, the retina display and colours and graphics are several generations more advanced.

-I know garmin makes good products and is the leader in gps. I was looking at some hiking garmin and for $200 you get a similar quality screen and for over $400 ou get topographical maps.

-same with boat garmins. For the price you get a really in depth device or our boat.

What am I missing? Or am I missing nothing and it sucks. So far I'll give in a $250 value.

What you are missing is doing your homework.
The Edge 800 is not $650 and the Garmin Marine has quite a few noteworthy products at par with several of the heavy players.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Who else thinks that everyone that is getting butt hurt on this thread owns a Garmin? *raises hand*

I think this is a fine place to raise the question about why they are priced the way they are. If for no other reason than its a cycling forum, no? I'm in the market myself and have thought the same thing. Price isn't the issue, it's what I'm getting for it. Saying the graphics are akin to a first generation Nintendo isn't far off, so it does make one wonder whatelse is a bit antiquated about it and its performance.

Beyond owning a Garmin, do you guys also own stock in the company?

asv

by asv

Northoceanbeach wrote:Ok so I was playing around with a garmin edge 800 and I fully fail to see why this thing is popular enough to have a race team.

The sponsorship of the team is about the entire brand which is way more than just the 800 series cycling computer. Garmin plays in a lot of other markets like Aviation for instance.

There are several cycling specific models, not just the 800. The 500/800 series have essentially no to little direct competition. So complaining about the graphics or comparing it to your cell phone is a very dumb comparison.

If a competitor were to enter the market with high resolution graphics and enhanced features, I could see Garmin upping their game. If Strava continues to grow I wonder if they would ever considering venturing into the hardware space. Lots of talent in silicon valley to make it happen.

Dcgriz

by Dcgriz

SLCBrandon wrote:Who else thinks that everyone that is getting butt hurt on this thread owns a Garmin? *raises hand*

I think this is a fine place to raise the question about why they are priced the way they are. If for no other reason than its a cycling forum, no? I'm in the market myself and have thought the same thing. Price isn't the issue, it's what I'm getting for it. Saying the graphics are akin to a first generation Nintendo isn't far off, so it does make one wonder whatelse is a bit antiquated about it and its performance.

Beyond owning a Garmin, do you guys also own stock in the company?

The web, this forum included, is filled with misinformation and as time goes by it is becoming more and more characterized as such. The significance of this, IMO, is
a) could deter a newbie from an excellent product
b) could influence a newbie to make the wrong decision
c) could detract from a real issue with a sub-standard of false advertised product

I feel it serves the community if blatantly inaccurate comments are challenged.

and, unfortunately, I don't own any Garmin shares.......

rijndael

by rijndael

Northoceanbeach wrote:First off its $650.
You need to shop around more, I paid $370 (shipped) for mine in mid-2012. They're much cheaper now that the 810 is available.

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

SLCBrandon wrote:.... Price isn't the issue...

pretty sure it is a supply and demand kind of thing. as was noted, this isn't something for which you'll have to pay MSRP. also, if you want to try one, there are plenty of used ones available places like craigslist.

yeah, i own one. sold off my 705 to defray the expense. do i want a 810? not really.
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Northoceanbeach

by Northoceanbeach

1. I'm not trying to complain, I want to know what I'm missing because I want a device that gives me accurate and detailed elevation data, plus hr, and someyimed mapping.

2. The price IS $650. Just because billy bobs jack off stand on eBay sells them cheaper. It's easier to post the retail price.

3. This is the appropriate forum. Why go to garmin site over a non affiliated site if I want objective information.

4. I was sayIng the marine devices by garmin I've used are good and based on their pricing I would expect this one to be less.

5. I find the comparison to my iPhone good. I'm not comparing their abilities to make calls or post on weight weenies, but only comparing the touch screens. If an iPhone which is also $650 can look this good, a garmin should come close. When I use map my ride it's very easy to see where I am and what the surrounding area looks like. The 800 is a crappy arrow on clunky roads.

6. Im pretty sure the garmin cycling teams main goal is to promote garmin cycling products. If they wanted to plug Their boat gps they would sponsor a sail racing team. Which they do.