I'm not getting the Garmin

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jano

by jano

prendrefeu wrote:Your rides must be pretty damn short and very local if you rely upon any smartphone to run your GPS + data for your rides.

I use my smartphone for 100 miles rides without any issues, it could easily do double that if I was up to it. Is that short for you? :noidea:

As for this thread, I am quite surprised by the tone of the Garmin fan-boys, as already mentioned by someone they come across rather butt-hurt and keep attacking other posters instead of overwhelming them with their positive experience with this gadget.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jano

by jano

Pharmstrong wrote:
ultimobici wrote:I have both an iPhone & an 800.
Let's compare
    Battery life -Garmin by a country mile
    Durability - Garmin again by a country mile
    Map Quality - Garmin yet again
    Weight - iPhone
    Clarity of display - iPhone
    Ability to make calls - iPhone
    integration with ANT+ sensors - Garmin once more
    Data costs - Garmin

Looks pretty much a slam-dunk for Garmin.

Putting aside battery and durability for the moment, Garmin's maps are available for smartphones, along with others like Google and TomTom. Many smartphones now have Bluetooth 4.0 for which HR, Speed, Cadence and even Power Meters are available.

The Battery life and durability become issues when you're talking about mounting the device on the handlebars. If you're storing the device in you pocket for headless recording, or using something like the new Wahoo Reflect it's battery life improves drastically.

Data costs are no issue. There are apps that can pre-load map data. The GPS receiver will work with the other radios off.

Given most people carry a phone when they ride I do wonder how much longer Garmin can continue milking these single use devices with their current UX.

Exactly.

angrylegs

by angrylegs

mattydubs wrote:Why are you looking at the 800? I'd go with the 500 (or the 510 now).

Agreed. I've a 500 and an iPhone in my pocket. The 500 is a great little computer and all I really need while on the bike (short of making a call, or checking where I am if somehow lost). Its small, simple, customizable and data rich, without so much more needed than the wireless speed/cadence senor unit. ANT+ for the power meter. Not to mention a century is easily handled. You can set a previous workout as a course if you want to ride against previous bests, or a particular route, but I personally don't find that ideal on the 500 and rarely use it. I have Strava but it took an immediate back seat compared to the options for display during the ride and the data gathered for viewing when I get home that's available on the 500. Its one of my favorite bike purchases, and I'm saying that about a computer I realize, although I'm using it along with a power meter (which, ok, IS my favorite bike purchase of all time). Its got some great option fields for running intervals and then switching back to standard riding display.

I like many toyed right away with the Strava/iPhone option when I got my 4S, but found it clunky and just not enough for what I needed. Going to agree too that the 800 is really rather not ideal either. YMMV of course - just sharing my opinion - ride with what you're happy with.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

jano wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:Your rides must be pretty damn short and very local if you rely upon any smartphone to run your GPS + data for your rides.

I use my smartphone for 100 miles rides without any issues, it could easily do double that if I was up to it. Is that short for you? :noidea:

As for this thread, I am quite surprised by the tone of the Garmin fan-boys, as already mentioned by someone they come across rather butt-hurt and keep attacking other posters instead of overwhelming them with their positive experience with this gadget.

Pros & cons - iPhone first
Positives
    Simple
    Already have it
    Only records route & time taken
Negatives
    Not waterproof
    Fragile
    Limited information recording
    Battery life isn't that great
    Navigation requires data download

Garmin
Pros
    Records everything in one
    Durable
    Waterproof
    More specific to training
    Free mapping can be used
Cons
    Not cheap
    Specific to use

My phone has to be in a ziplock bag so I don't sweat it to death. Or I have to cling film it. Major PIA.
Last edited by ultimobici on Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

jano wrote:

So, you're saying, on your word, that you will use a smartphone w/ GPS tracking and data acquisition in its entirety for the full duration of 200+ miles, in-and-out-of mobile coverage, and still expect it to have enough battery life to serve its actual purpose which is making phone calls in case of emergency?
Really? Without an extra battery?

Bullocks. Utter bullocks.

And, to me, 100 mile rides are short, btw.

Garmin 500 user, by the way, and if you'll notice elsewhere in this forum where other Garmin models were discussed I have expressly stated no interest in upgrading anytime soon. I am not a fanboy of any brand in any aspect of my life, as everything I use is specifically chosen for the cost/quality/value it has for my needs and goals in use of said product. That's pretty much my modus operandi.

But, please, continue to bring your counter arguments. Entertain us.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

brettmess24 wrote:Short ride 20mi long ride 50 miles......is that short :noidea:

Yes. Those are very short rides. Even the 50 can be done in a few hours (2.5 or 3 if there is climbing) - in which case, yes, sure, you don't need a Garmin.
800 is overkill for most people anyway, the 500 is ideal for most people. But in your case? You need to ride more. :lol:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

brettmess24

by brettmess24

200 miles, wow!

I wont be doing that distance anytime soon. That would make sense for battery time for you but me, like you said a couple hours at most.

Only time I put on now is on the trainer :cry:

Let's stay on subject and stop calling bs on others experience as there has been some good info from you guys.

I do like the Garmin for Hrm, Cadence and speed all displayed at once and on one device. Are there any others that provide this?
Last edited by brettmess24 on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Three mates use phones for GPS tracking. They each have more issues with GPS reliability than users with Garmins or Brytons.
They regularly miss-out Strava segments & data dropouts that are picked up by the dedicated computers.

The battery life is also definitely an issue. I can use my Bryton for a number of rides whereas the phones need to be charged before every ride.

Phones are catching up but if you ride regularly it makes sense to get a dedicated computer. They are designed specifically for the job and do it well.

@brettmess24
Why not just get one of the basic Garmins / Brytons and an ant+ HR strap? Everything is recorded on one instead of having three devices. Makes more sense.

brettmess24

by brettmess24

5 8 5, I don't think I can get a bryton in the states? They look to fit the bill perfectly.

teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

If they really want to push out the Garmin it will be really easy. They just need to get Quarq to make a powermeter for the new bluetooth. I would definatly buy one of them. Then a cycling specific app so you can link your data to strava. I have yet to see a powermeter that is made for the new bluetooth :(
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

But then, if using a power meter, you would have to mount your phone on your bike.

Having my 800 is bad enough - it already looks like a laptop. Could not imagine my iPhone :shock:

teufelhunden222

by teufelhunden222

I hate apple with a passion. I would be using my android. Which I ride with anyway incase I get out in front of the group to far and take a wrong turn.
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]

nickl

by nickl

brettmess24 wrote:iPhone with contract $250 unlimited data, my iPhone holds charge for at least a 50 mile ride with 65% charge left....

The $250 iPhone is subsidised by the contract. I'm not from the US and can't be bothered finding the price of the unlimited data contract, but I know that the cheapest iPhone 5 with 2 year contract from AT&T works out to $1715.

In other parts of the world where Apple sells the iPhone outright you can see the real price. Eg, in Australia the cheapest iPhone 5 is ~US$800.

The point of this is that the technology in the Garmin 810 and in the iPhone are very roughly comparable, and cost very roughly the same amount. No one is getting ripped off - it comes down to personal preference. Some people are happy using a phone, others prefer a dedicated device.

For me, the Garmin 500 is the perfect balance of functionality vs price.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

brettmess24 wrote:5 8 5, I don't think I can get a bryton in the states? They look to fit the bill perfectly.

Sorry,didn't realise that.
The soon to be released Cateye Stealth 50 might be a viable alternative. Bike computer functions + GPS & Ant+ in a very small form factor. Interested in seeing reviews for it.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

nickl wrote:The point of this is that the technology in the Garmin 810 and in the iPhone are very roughly comparable, and cost very roughly the same amount.

No the point is that in the UK a Garmin 810 is currently retailing for around £450. A modern smartphone like Google's Nexus 4 can be had for £239. The latest in car Garmin Nuvi's are around £150.

People are evidently falling over themselves to pay over the odds, so Garmin are obliging them. Cycling, the new golf.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com