Disc Brake Road Bikes

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

opinions please

nah I'll pass. only calipers for me
47%
interested. but rather hear some feedback first
9%
interested. if somebody developes high-end WW road specific disc brakes and matching shifters
24%
oh yeah. getting one of those as long as price is reasonable
14%
sure. when they get UCI approval
6%

Total votes: 66

phallenthoul
in the industry

by phallenthoul

Let's hear some opinions on disc brake road bikes/frames.
Last edited by phallenthoul on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

knef

by knef

Answer 3. Need more choice in brake lever. The Formula model is only for DI2. Everything else out there is propietary stuff or just g-damn ugly... 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Privateer

by Privateer

Option 5: when they get UCI approval.

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

I've had some scary times descending big cols in the rain, so I'm interested. I haven't really thought about the negative sides though, so I need more feedback. Given my current knowledge and experience (with mtb's) I'd opt for hydraulics.

phallenthoul
in the industry

by phallenthoul

@Privateer
good point. added to the poll list.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

I ran maguras (hydrailics) when they were first out years ago on my mtn bike and they were awsome bombing down into quarries. The downside was they were heavy and needed special attention. I would rather see hydralic disk brakes on road bikes but some use of carbon and ti for the rotors too drop the weight. That I think would aleviate all this wasted sidewall problems on carbon clinchers.

eric

by eric

I don't see road discs ever getting as light or as aero as caliper brakes. Using the rim as the disc is essentially free, weight wise, and allows a lighter build on the wheel. I don't have a problem with caliper brakes even on the gnarly steep technical descents I often ride down. Carbon clinchers seem to be getting pretty good- I've ridden my Farsports down some descents that require serious braking with no damage. Maybe if I was heavy and a poor descender I'd feel different.

Now on MTB or cross bikes, that's different. Rim brakes suck in mud and aren't great in water. If I had a dedicated rain bike built (rather than using old race bike parts) I'd use discs. They're good for tandems and maybe even loaded touring bikes. But not for me on road racing bikes.

I'm interested in the tech and curious to see how it progresses.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

At first, I didn't see the point of them.
Then, slowly, I sort of thought I saw the point of them - especially after hearing arguments in regards to being able to descend faster, take corners better and so forth.

Then... rather, I mean, now as in "at the time I am writing this" I am back to the first thought: I don't see the point of them.
Why? I have ridden hundreds of climbing miles with one of my riding buddies who runs road disc. Prior to using the road-disc bike, I would consider him a strong, confident descender.
Now, have the discs improved his descending ability?
No, not at all. In fact, I can catch and pass him with my carbon clinchers on most descents in the Santa Monica Mountains (tight, windy, technical, steep). Prior to him running disc he would stay ahead of me or with me. If anything, the discs have slowed him down on descents strangely enough. He isn't any safer than I am on a pair of carbon clinchers.

The only thing that has been true in regards to riding with him is that we are constantly hearing the sound of brake issues: there is always some sort of squeek, whine, or shimmer somewhere. Or a tick. Or some sound that's present. The brakes need constant adjustment, and he's used several different types of brake calipers along the way, each no different. Would hydraulic be any better? Maybe it would alleviate the sounds of the brakes, but I don't see it offering any real, genuine improvement to his ability to descend.

I see the point of them in adverse weather. Which, for road riding, isn't that often.
I see the point of them for Cyclocross - even though many of the top contenders at the World Championships this year were running cantilevers despite the muddy, wet, and cold conditions.
I see the point of them in mountain bikes... that's kind of obvious: braking has improved substantially there.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Dammit

by Dammit

I'm putting together a disc braked road bike currently- stainless steel frame, mudguards, the disc brakes complete an all-weather bike.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

prendrefeu wrote:I see the point of them in adverse weather. Which, for road riding, isn't that often.

I guess, in California. In the UK I seem to be forever riding on wet, dirty roads. I want - to at least try - discs as I'd rather have a replaceable braking surface than have to toss rims and pads prematurely because of the crap they're always picking up.

Dammit

by Dammit

I'm also going for carbon clinchers on this bike as the braking surface is divorced from the rim.

-Robin-

by -Robin-

I have hydraulic disk brakes on my commuter bike (BMC AlpenChallenge). The major benefit is far less maintenance compared to the V-brakes on my previous bike. Where I had to replace my brake pads after a week commuting in rainy conditions (lots of braking due to the traffic, combined with dirty wet roads) I managed to get a bit over 4000 km out of my brake pads without ever having to look at my brakes.

Stopping power is also better in wet conditions compared to V-brakes. I think in dry conditions with fresh pads the V-brakes were more powerful.

The major drawback, and this really needs to be fixed before I consider putting them on my racer, is the constant sound that comes from them (as prendrefeu already mentioned). So I would only consider mounting them on a dedicated rain bike, and stick to regular brakes on my "good-weather" bike

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Well I'm glad some of you guys came to my conclusion posted months ago. :D
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

bricky21

by bricky21

I'm happy with my current 630 mm discs. Can't wait to try out the new 9000 calipers. :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Gotta say... I was thinking about this very question a couple of weeks ago when I got caught in a downpour. Roads were slick and I was on 23mm tires. Rim braking was of course lousy, but I've ridden in the rain before and know the limitations and brake accordingly. But here's the thing... had I wanted to I could have applied easily enough pressure to lock them up in those super wet and slick conditions. It's a fine line because with so little rubber on the road it doesn't take much braking to start a skid in those conditions. I don't think disks would have made it better because the limiting factor to how much power can be applied is the rubber on the road and the traction you can get. Disks would have made it that much easier to lock up so what's the point.

A big difference for mountain bikes etc., is 1) the size of the tire, 2) the aggressive tread, and 3) the softness of the earth for that tread to grip into. Completely different than a wet asphalt situation with skinny road tires and no tread to speak of. Throw a little oil into the mix from the cars and disks become overkill on a light road bike.

I see plenty of uses for disk brakes, but on the highest level road bikes, not so much. I have no desire to switch. So many things would also have to change on the frames (their dropout spacing and added reinforcements for the disk tabs), and the wheels themselves... sure you won't wear the brake tracks from braking anymore, but the rims will need to be stronger, likely with more spokes as well, to withstand the forces from disk brakes applying the braking close to the hub rather than the rim. Lots of obstacles to overcome still. For what. No thanks.

Anyway, all those things have been discussed before, but since you asked...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ