Turbo trainer vs outdoor riding

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

djm

by djm

Some sort of confirmation bias? Seems to be what a lot of coaches and athletes base their beliefs on. Not saying they are wrong though, but what they are doing may often be the right thing.. :-)

With devinci on genetic potential.. I think blaming stagnation on having reached one's "genetic potential" is one of the worst excuses ever.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Rick wrote:Have you guys heard of "Eddie B" ? :)
Sure. B for (promoting) blood doping (as a coach), even though it wasn't against Olympic rules at the time. He knew that blood doping was a lot more important than whether you train on a trainer or outdoors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Borysewicz

Squint

by Squint

metal wrote:The stochastic nature of road riding can't be simulated on an ergo, so it doesn't give the same specific gains, but it does give gains in other areas which are actually just as beneficial overall.

Some that can change the load fairly rapidly can allow you to do some pretty high quality microinterval workouts that wouldn't be possible outdoors or on other ergometers.

But while stochasticity can be a difference between indoor and outdoor riding, it isn't the reason indoor riding lacks the specificity that results in less power indoors and even less power outdoors if you ride indoors too much.

Squint

by Squint

djm wrote:Addition: Why I don't really like indoor training - I produce a helluva lot of heat and sweat. Two sessions (1 hr at threshold each) and my Zero pedals were rusted, bleeding.. my shoes were dripping and had to be dried.. :-)

Cro-mo Speedplays are not the best choice for indoor training. You really should get several fans. I use an industrial grade Air King, a cheap commercial grade fan, and an 8,000 btu window A/C.

It's still not enough during warmer weather so I'm planning on building an enclosure just large enough to fit inside and mounting one or more window A/Cs to it. There probably won't be room for the fans with this setup.

konky

by konky

I'm lucky enough to have a large cellar with decent head height. On a cold winters day in London it's absolutely freezing down there. Even in summer it's decidedly chilly. Having said that I'm still sweating like a pig after 20 minutes or so of hard churning. It's damn unhygienic.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Just an FYI. If it's a true cellar then the temp down there is about 10-12C (50-55F). It could be 0C (32F) outside but it's still 10C (50F) in the cellar.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

konky

by konky

The temp. is never as high as 12C but on very cold days I would guess it drops to 5C. The temp. will change by a few degrees depending on if the door is open or not. I've no idea if it's a 'real cellar' but it is under my house and underground. It certainly keeps wine at a good temp. White is nicely chilled and red needs to be brought up and left to reach room temp. I do try and avoid dipping in when on the trainer though.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

The average underground the temp is around 10C 2 meters down. Bring a temp sensor down there one of these day and verify. Up here in the North it can be -17C outside and its still 10C in the cellar.
This is one of the main reasons why Geothermal Systems work so efficiently.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

devinci

by devinci

Who cares about the average cellar temp?

Its a trainer vs outdoors thread

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

It's very important if you want to train indoors.

devinci

by devinci

I know it is but it was taking a boring and extensive direction.

Squint

by Squint

konky wrote:I'm lucky enough to have a large cellar with decent head height. On a cold winters day in London it's absolutely freezing down there. Even in summer it's decidedly chilly. Having said that I'm still sweating like a pig after 20 minutes or so of hard churning. It's damn unhygienic.

The fact that you're sweating that much means you still need a fan.

I feel chilly before every ride and start wearing a long sleeve jersey. After 5-6 min the fans are turned on. At 15-35 min, the AC is turned on and stays on until cool down.

I still drip a little sweat but it's about the same as I would on a long climb during the summer.

djm

by djm

Squint: Aircon set to 15'c and full blast.. would need quite the powerful fan not to sweat..

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

You are still sweating except it's evaporating better in the drier a/c room with the fan on.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I just sweat like a theRAPIST in my living room watching youtube footy of the classics. With a new baby this year, I've got a lot of indoor time coming my way, but luckily, the rollers knocks him out pretty quick. I can't do the massive gear workouts that I can on the turbo, but it's so much more entertaining.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com