Mavic Zxellion Shoes

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

1043limitedgrams

by 1043limitedgrams

I am considering some new shoes and wore some Mavic Zxellion Shoes the other day at one of the biggest bike shops in town. And I was amazed about the good feel of them and how light they were... 370grams for the pair.
As I will be riding with Keywin Pedals, and my bike is fairly WW this is another reason why I should go with these.
However I have read in the local Ride magazin that they are not for a strong rider. I am 78kilos and a very agressive road rider and strong track rider.
Now looking at these shoes after reading that, I sortoff thought mabe they are not what I really want. I dont think I want to pay that amount of $$$ (being a student) to only rip these shoes apart in a years time or so.
Q1. any body got some experience with these shoes?
Q2. what other types of shoes are there out there that are WW acceptable and not a regular show at club and state races. (South Australia)

Cheers
Attachments
Mavic Shoes.jpg

SW

by SW

I have been riding these for a couple months now, once I got my cleat positioned properly, they were rediculously comfortable. I am not a big rider (63kg), so I don't know how they handle under massive amounts of power, but they are really comfy and light. I have the white ones, which look really nice too! Hope that helps!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1043limitedgrams

by 1043limitedgrams

Cheers for quick reply SW.
They were the best feeling shoes I have tried ever.
Including my casual shoes, sneakers and evan my lacoste cannot hold upt with these.
And Im looking forward to the Yellow :D

stoweaway
Shop Owner

by stoweaway

According to Mavic literature, Thor Hushovd uses these.

I have about 400 miles in mine, and they are the best shoes I've used, without a doubt.

lincoln

by lincoln

They're very comfortable, I just had trouble getting the cleats back far enough. Funny things is I ended up getting Rocket 7s and switched to Speedplay in order to get the cleat back far enough... so in hindsight, I could've kept the Adidas (at the time) and just switched to Speedplay instead of getting Rocket 7s! Oh well!

They're very comfy and so very light... I think the Rockets are lighter, but not as comfy... I had the Adidas Adistar Ultra, which had a very nice and soft upper... like wearing a wooly sock... in a good way!

Sprinter

by Sprinter

I was checking out shoes today, and was quite taken by the look of the Mavics in white - but I didn't try them on (wife was nagging).

Are they a narrow shoe? I can't wear Sidis. But the wider Shimanos/Northwaves fit me well. Where do the Mavics sit re width?

lincoln

by lincoln

I found the adidas to be of a little wider than a normal sidi... not sure if they changed their widths when they changed to Mavic there...

1043limitedgrams

by 1043limitedgrams

Have gone ahead and purchased those mavic's.
Will keep you guys updated on how they go, as far as them not being for strong riders, I figured its mavic and i dont think i should have quality problems.

mitre_tester

by mitre_tester

Sprinter wrote:Are they a narrow shoe? I can't wear Sidis. But the wider Shimanos/Northwaves fit me well. Where do the Mavics sit re width?

Just bought a pair today, and they seem to be at most a fraction wider than Sidi.

674g/pair with Keo Grip cleats in size 8.5

In a 40 mile ride this afternoon, they didn't draw attention to themselves (apart from the incredibly bright yellow colour), which is good. In the shop, they were more comfortable than Bont A1 for me.

BTW, it would help searches if the thread originator would go back and change the title to Zxellium

1043limitedgrams

by 1043limitedgrams

Sure mitre tester,
However im not sure how to change the title of the thread.
Sorry

mitre_tester

by mitre_tester

1043limitedgrams wrote:Sure mitre tester,
However im not sure how to change the title of the thread.
Sorry

Go back and edit your first post, and change the subject line

kx_1

by kx_1

mitre_tester wrote:
Sprinter wrote:Are they a narrow shoe? I can't wear Sidis. But the wider Shimanos/Northwaves fit me well. Where do the Mavics sit re width?

Just bought a pair today, and they seem to be at most a fraction wider than Sidi.

674g/pair with Keo Grip cleats in size 8.5

In a 40 mile ride this afternoon, they didn't draw attention to themselves (apart from the incredibly bright yellow colour), which is good. In the shop, they were more comfortable than Bont A1 for me.

BTW, it would help searches if the thread originator would go back and change the title to Zxellium

Mitre_tester, what about size in comparison with Sidi?? both shoes were 8.5??
By the way which sidi did you try?

mitre_tester

by mitre_tester

kx_1 wrote:Mitre_tester, what about size in comparison with Sidi?? both shoes were 8.5??
By the way which sidi did you try?

I'm a long term Sidi user from the olden days, always taken a 43. I haven't tried any modern Sidi road shoes, but I have some fairly recent Rampa MTB shoes as my comparator. The Mavic 8.5 is listed as a 422/3, and is maybe a fraction shorter than a size 43 Sidi, but very close.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

I have got to say these are the most comfortable shoes ever (for me that is!). I went from a Shimano R-310 (43.5) to a Zxellium in 43 1/3. Nice soft and wide toe-box.

Keep them clean... well, thats another story.

I like them so much, I picked up a pair of the Fury offroad version for Cross season!

rgkicksbutt

by rgkicksbutt

I have the Huez's, and with more than 5000 km on them they are holding up way better than I expected them too. I have a very flat, low foot, so I have to use my orthotics for it to be tight enough. Using my road bike primarily just for training for mtbing, I would say I do abuse these shoes, and they are doing great. I would buy another pair of they weren't so tall, but I got them for 75$ new through my sponsors, so I cant complain :wink:

oh, and stiffness has never been an issue for me, I can't flex them

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com