Seat height critique please - with photos

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TomUK

by TomUK

Hi all

I have just done some saddle adjustments with some measuring software and realised my saddle was to low so I have made some adjustments and was hoping someone could pass comment if it looks roughly right from the measurements ?
The measurements where taken when peddaling.

144crop by Tom_Hughes_87, on

144cropang by Tom_Hughes_87, on

Thanks in advance :)

fa63

by fa63

I would say now it might be just a little too high. How much did you raise it from where you had it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TomUK

by TomUK

Thanks for the reply, I put some tape where the original position was and its 20mm! My leg was at 133 deg before

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If it too high its not by much though. I think my leg makes a similar angle to your now and I am sticking to it as its a comfortable postion.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

interestingly, according to this http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/how-to-get-your-seat-height-right-14608/ you would be at the low end of the range in terms of height based on angle.

what is your saddle height from the BB to the top, as a percentage of your inseam?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

TomUK

by TomUK

Thanks for the replys,

Saddle height is now 72cm and my inseam is 79cm

LouisN

by LouisN

I ride a 72, 72,5 lenght, for an inseam of 82 cm. FWIW. 70-80 mm setback from center of BB on a 74° seat tube (spot on Lemond or Guimard method).

Personnally, I couldn't ride comfortably higher than 72,5.

Louis :)
Last edited by LouisN on Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomUK

by TomUK

Thanks for the replys, Maybe I will put it back to how it was before and get a BG Fit as I dont want to be getting any injuries from poor setup!

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

sure you are measuring inseam correctly? ie with a narrowish book jammed tight under your crotch?

something's not jibing between the ratio and the angle you are measuring.

BTW and FWIW I read Greg Lemond's book back in the stone age and have been using the 88.3% rule since the early '90's.

In your case the formula would give a lower height of 70cm, but only if you were measuring correctly.

One formula will not fit all, but IMO it's a good starting point.

One.

TomUK

by TomUK

bikerjulio wrote:sure you are measuring inseam correctly? ie with a narrowish book jammed tight under your crotch?

something's not jibing between the ratio and the angle you are measuring.

BTW and FWIW I read Greg Lemond's book back in the stone age and have been using the 88.3% rule since the early '90's.

In your case the formula would give a lower height of 70cm, but only if you were measuring correctly.

One formula will not fit all, but IMO it's a good starting point.

Just measured again with a slim book and got 80cm, would that make more sense? Thanks for the help much appreciated!
May sound daft but im assuming I measure bare footed against a wall?

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

you're getting warm.

the other important thing is to have someone follow you and check for any hip rocking which is a sure sign of being too high.

as you have seen, it's very important to do the measurements correctly.

my inclination would be to leave it as is, ride it that way and see how it feels, and check the hip rocking thing.

One.

TomUK

by TomUK

Thanks for the help, I have put it between what I started with and ended up with first to see how I get on so there isnt to much of a change

KWalker

by KWalker

Angles are irrelevant and merely coincidental. Seat height is dependent on more than an angle including pelvic stability, functional asymmetries, and other similar things that create an unstable pelvis and uneven pedal stroke.

I have always followed Hogg's method for setting seat height, which is a bit lower than what I've been fit at. When I check the angles they're fine, but I never used them to find the height because setback, bar height, and flexibility can also influence the angles
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

eordman

by eordman

I agree with KWalker. How stable are your hips? I think Steve Hogg recommends raising your seat in 3mm increments until your pelvis becomes unstable then lowering the seat 6mm. Like KWalker said functionality, saddle setback, cleat position, and bar position are all going to impact seat height and each other. Took me a lot of trial and error (still fine tuning) but right now I'm a fan of the Hogg method.

The only reason I know my seat height and other dimensions is so that I can transfer them to other bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KWalker

by KWalker

Using Retul I can get the same knee opening with an 800mm seatheight and 110mm of setback, 770mm seat height and 95mm of setback, or 785mm seat height and 80mm of setback. All of these fit options are very, very different. FWIW I ride the last one and determined it through trial and error. Checked it with Retul and bam, it gives almost the same angles, but the cleats feel better, im more balanced, and have no hip rocking of any sort.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike