Diagnosed with Prostatitus - Help

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

G6612

by G6612

I have recently been diagnosed with Prostatitus and have been dealing with it since December. Started treatment actually in January and have been on antibiotics for about 4-5 weeks. Symptons are almost gone (2 out of 3) but not completely, I will have flareups now and again some days worse than others. I guess I am trying to figure out if I should take some time off the bike completely or not. Now that it is winter not riding too much mostly on the indoor trainer. I know cycling cannot cause the issue but can irritate it and I can say while riding I have no discomfort and feel pretty good. Then maybe the next day or two I will get a more intense flareup not sure if they are connected. I am also thinking about maybe trying a different saddle as I really do not want not to ride. Spoke to my urologist and he could not really tell me yes or no on the cycling and was just trying to get anyone recently dealing with this. All google searches pull up things from several years ago and I am looking for some current experiences with it. I would appreciate anyones thoughts and recommendations.

Thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MileHighMark

by MileHighMark

I had a bout with it a year ago. Not riding didn't really seem to have any effect. The antibiotics worked, but like you said, they can take quite a while.
GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

A couple years back I was diagnosed. Five types of antibiotics and a urologist couldn't figure it out. I made some diet changes (alcohol/coffee) and immediately noticed improvement. Try natural ant-inflammatories like Pomegranate juice and don't overdue the Advils... learned that one the hard way...

PJCM

by PJCM

I had several bouts of it a few years back. Each time successfully treated with antibiotics. I was recommended to take daily zinc supplements and this may have prevented recurrence.

In terms of riding, the condition was certainly uncomfortable but I didn't experience any complications from continued training. I just tended to do shorter rides with more climbing to increase training quality and provide a reason to spend more time standing up out of the saddle for some relief.

G6612

by G6612

I really don't have any issues while riding, I actually feel pretty good. When I first was diagnosed I had three symptons.

1. frequent urination
2. pressure/discomfort (taint area)
3. burning sensation from uretha

Took antibiotics for 6 weeks 1 & 2 are gone still dealing with #3 really becoming an pain in the d*ck if you catch my drift. Not sure what the next step should be. Dealing with this since December 1st it has been a good 3 months. I have been riding but I now have decided to take a good 2 weeks off and see if it makes a difference. Appreciate anyone's thoughts.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

I had a similar problem - no meds but I'm recovering.
Cut out citrus, alcohol, sugary drinks, juices, spicy food. I was also drinking a little too much water.
Eat kale, eat lettice.. never have burning from them.
You might find it is something you are regularly consuming that is causing your problems.
I had a period of high stress before all that. Keep stress level low if you can, stop thinking about the symptoms.

Riding actually helps because I think sweating helped eliminate and have a detox effect.

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

What saddle do you use?

G6612

by G6612

I will be honest after riding I feel great. It's just about two days later and it flares up so not sure if riding is a factor yet. I used to ride a Specialized toupe expert but due to this issue I switched to a Selle Italia SLR superflow.

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

I bought a Selle SMP Carbon for this reason

'The central channel: its unusual dimensions permit the rectum, prostrate, pudendal vein, the dorsal vein and artery of the penis, scrotum and testicles, the vulva and clitoris to not undergo any pressure.'

However, I am not convinced my Prostatitis had anything to do with cycling and was more related to diet. I switched saddles after adjusting my diet. I was diagnosed with chronic Prostatitis and although I get flare up now and again I believe they are more diet related than cycling related.

getting dropped

by getting dropped

I have had 2 actual prostate infections over the last 2+ years - and am just now getting better from the last one in the summer!

I spent about 3 months riding short rides and never sat down after last years infection (the infection really irritated the perineum area). I think they finally nailed the bacteria that was causing it since they got a good positive culture that they couldn't the year before.

My brother had similar problems about 15 years ago - and at the time was a good Cat 1 racer - he quit racing and riding for years. He is now comfortably riding and racing again with the help of a Selle SMP saddle - I can't use that saddle at all, but I am currently finding decent comfort from Specialized Romin EVO saddles.

I visited with 2 urologists and visited a high level one at Stanford who started looking at my pelvic floor function (very poor in me). I am currently doing PT, stretching, and most recently acupuncture to try to help this. It seems that road cycling after several nasty crashes and a high stress time in my life led me to this point. Poor core function is pretty common in bike riders it seems...

My advice is to take all of the things mentioned by others - check into bike fit changes as well - I have been playing with seat height, bar reach and other steps to get more comfortable when riding...Stress Reduction, Diet Changes, Core Stretching & Strengthening, Injury Healing, Improved/Better Immune System, Bike Fit Changes, and Saddle Changes are all the things I have been working on.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com