Roof mounted car racks

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Devon

by Devon

So it's time to get my much loved saloon back on the road after a year with a hatch. This therefore brings into play the issue of how to carry bikes. I currently have on the car two traditional roof mounted racks of the frame-clamp style; similar to that shown below. These hark back to my mountain biking days where I didn't care too much about the bikes.

Now, I have read in the past that you shouldn't use such racks for carbon frames. Therefore, what are my options? I'd rather not use a boot-mounted rack if I don't have to and I don't have a tow bar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

http://www.seasucker.com/product-category/bike-racks/

I am getting one of these....the videos are entertaining showing the racks on a NASCAR bombing around.

dmp

by dmp

anyone remember this?

Devon

by Devon

btompkins0112 wrote:http://www.seasucker.com/product-category/bike-racks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am getting one of these....the videos are entertaining showing the racks on a NASCAR bombing around.

The Hornet? Won't work on my saloon from the looks of things?

aerozy

by aerozy

Hi mate,

When I did my research on roof car racks these got some great reviews:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... -11-35074/

I rode across Europe with 3 carbon bikes and they survived without a nick.

I dont know where you heard that carbon bikes should not be carried on the roof but allow me to disagree. You might tell me that carbon has directional strength and should not be radially compressed. Remember bikes are designed to survived impacts as well so the small compressive stresses it sees with the roof clamp is nothing in comparison. Carbon is not plastic! Ride on!
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

nismosr

by nismosr

btompkins0112 wrote:http://www.seasucker.com/product-category/bike-racks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've used mine several times..

2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Devon wrote:

The Hornet? Won't work on my saloon from the looks of things?

What about the bomber....just stick them right on the roof. A saloon is a 4 door sedan, correct?

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Some companies recommend not using fork mount racks as the vibrations can cause the tips to come loose in the fork. Other companies recommend not clamping on the frame as it can damage the carbon. I use the Thule sidearm because it doesn't use a fork dropout mount or clamp on the frame, it just compresses on tire and works really well. I've had mine for several years and never had a problem. A nice bonus is it holds everything from my mtb with lefty, road bike and even my kids mini-bmx bikes without any adapters.

mattr

by mattr

I just put the bike IN the car.

Best place for it.

(Technically, its a van......)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I use Thule Fork Mount racks for road bikes. Never a problem, nice and stable. I can install or remove the entire rack, crossbars and two bike trays in under five minutes which I really like as I don't want it on the car all the time. I've never heard of an issue with the dropouts coming loose from vibration, what companies recommend against fork mounts? I suspect they sell something different.

Also have one Thule Sidearm as Madcow pictured above. Like he says, it works on everything. But it's relatively heavy and cumbersome and a bit of a pain to mount on the cross bars compared to a standard fork mount tray. Still, I had to transport a touring bike with lowrider front racks for paniers once, and this setup worked perfectly. Couldn't have done it with the fork mounts without first removing the front panier rack and fender from the bicycle.

Those searsucker racks just scare me. Can't help but think that somewhere along the way, the suction will fail, either due to a sudden gust of sidewind at 70mph or just a gap of air getting underneath the cups from something. And even if it doesn't, there has got to be a chance of it happening in the right conditions (careless install, dirty surface, huge gust, or even just some curious kid walking by and giving it a good tug or push just to see if he can remove it).
Last edited by Calnago on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nismosr

by nismosr

Calnago wrote:
Those searsucker racks just scare me. Can't help but think that somewhere along the way, the suction will fail, either due to a sudden gust of sidewind at 70mph or just a gap of air getting underneath the cups from something. And even if it doesn't, there has got to be a chance of it happening in the right conditions (careless install, dirty surface, huge gust, or even just some curious kid walking by and giving it a good tug or push just to see if he can remove it).

I actually tried it on a windy condition 15-20mph, traveling on NJ turnpike/95 doing more than 70mph, but the travel was only about 30mins and I have to duck right next to an 18 wheeler truck just to hide from crosswinds. When I got home the suction are all solid and intact.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

But I bet the thought crossed your mind, at least once or twice. And it was only 30 minutes. How about a longer multiday road trip in inclement weather, where you might be driving in pouring rain for several hours at a time at highway speeds. Then again for several days. I just don't have to worry about that with the racks that are mounted with something more than suction. It never crosses my mind. My only concern is damaging the bikes from debris thrown up and water ingress in the headset etc. But that's unavoidable unless you have a van or something with the bikes actually inside.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

thp

by thp

The seasucker seems like a great solution when you have to transport more then 1 bike in a sedan, and hey, if it's your friends bike you're transporting with it all the better. haha.