Lemond looking at making bikes again

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

NS

by NS

mattr wrote:
tymon_tm wrote:yep, there hasn't been. just like not that long ago (a year? few months?) no one would even doubt the integrity of 'past champs' (like Merckx, Indurain, Fignon etc).
:lol: you not been doing this cycling stuff long then?

Very true mattr. Seems to me the "new golf" brigade are those most shocked and upset by this. After 26 years of riding/racing/watching its just the same as it ever was. If the top tackle had been round in the 60s 70s 80s,The big boys would have all been at it then like they ARE now

Montana

by Montana

I would own one of these! Preferably in retro z paint scheme and hand built by a boutique builder like Calfee, Crumpton, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I'm still trying to find anything in the press about Lemond actually bringing the bike brand back. The only thing I have found is an article about Lemond "resuming sales of the Revolution trainer and related items."

Has anyone actually seen a link to an article or interview quoting Lemond as bringing back the bike brand? I'd bet my favorite pair of shoes that he still has an active no-competition agreement with Trek and can't bring the bikes back until that expires. My very limited experience of such agreements is that they tend to be about 10 years.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/02/news/greg-lemond-launches-company-to-resume-sales-of-revolution-trainer_273831

euan

by euan

There was a questionare on the Lemond website. Restarting the bike brand was the basis of one of the questions.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Montana wrote:I would own one of these! Preferably in retro z paint scheme and hand built by a boutique builder like Calfee, Crumpton, etc.

Already been done - By Lemond!
http://www.calfeedesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Cycle-Sport-Feature-Calfee-Design-and-Greg-Lemond.pdf

sawyer

by sawyer

Does using clip-ons in a sportive count as a Lemond renaissance?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

sawyer wrote:Does using clip-ons in a sportive count as a Lemond renaissance?

Nah, that's a Chiappucci renaissance!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

euan wrote:There was a questionare on the Lemond website. Restarting the bike brand was the basis of one of the questions.
Are you referring to this http://greglemond.com/lemond-cycle/?

Do you know when this page was last updated? Note that even though it says © 2012 Greg Lemond at the bottom of the page, it also says that on the blog page http://greglemond.com/blog/, whose most recent entry is from November 2010. On the other hand, the blog at http://www.lemondrevolution.com/blogs/news has a most recent entry in February 2013. So although http://greglemond.com/ is linked from http://www.lemondrevolution.com/, it is hardly obvious to me that http://greglemond.com/lemond-cycle/ is not just an ancient page from years ago. I'll leave it to the board hotshots to further investigate.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

mattr wrote:
tymon_tm wrote:yep, there hasn't been. just like not that long ago (a year? few months?) no one would even doubt publicly the integrity of 'past champs' (like Merckx, Indurain, Fignon etc).

nope, only like 15 years so i'm kinda nouveau-riche in this. should've added 'publicly', my bad
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

asphaltdude

by asphaltdude

Whow! That's a pretty damn nice garage door!

mattr

by mattr

tymon_tm wrote:
mattr wrote:
tymon_tm wrote:yep, there hasn't been. just like not that long ago (a year? few months?) no one would even doubt publicly the integrity of 'past champs' (like Merckx, Indurain, Fignon etc).
nope, only like 15 years so i'm kinda nouveau-riche in this. should've added 'publicly', my bad
All the riders you've mentioned have all failed drugs tests, and it's been well documented in both domestic and the international press at the time (failed tests before the Internet :shock: ) and well covered on a regular basis since then.
Or do you pick and choose your cycling publications carefully?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

When did Indurain ever admit to taking drugs or fail a drug test? Sure, many of us are rather suspicious he took EPO, but is there outright proof? If not, then please make your assertions more carefully.

mattr

by mattr

:roll: salbutamol, tour de l'oise, 1994. That trusty old back dated TUE.
Probenecid, late 80s. tdf.
Both still "on the record", neither resulted in any serious sanctions.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

mattr, most of the time i reserve for bike-related things i spend riding. or watching races. i've no possibility to follow it all, every article or press release, especially if the internet produces tons of them every minute. what i can remember though, is that till the most recent events doping in cycling was publicly regarded and spoken about as an incidental stuff. by 'public' i don't mean cycling enthusiasts, well informed and experienced like many members of this board. there were never dying accusations of Lance, Festina, and the fresh meat that would occasionally hit the table. Puerto came down to few names. all the cyclists took it on their own. and all of them caught doping came back clean and pure as a newborn christians. in the media releases, in 99% of the cases there was nothing of organised, structural nature in doping, that we heard about. even now many people think there was something unprecedented in USPS' systematic doping.

if my memory serves me well, there hasn't been such an outbreak of admissions, accusations and plain publicity regarding doping till today - maybe in the times of Indurain or Merkcx newspapers would cover news on their drug tests, doping scandals (if there were any?) or smth like that. i'm simply too young to know that. almost every day we hear a new name, that is more or less surprising - today it's Cippo. those of us who weren't old/interested enough back in the 70's, 80's or 90's are served with old-new information about the gods of cycling, some of whom probably have statues built and roads named in their honor.

i agree with one thing, we ("cycling enthusiasts" or "insiders") all 'knew' or suspected at very least, but if it hasn't been for LA's fall and recent developments, we'd never have anything solid to back our wisdom with.

in order to make this post even remotely about Lemond - i'll be more than surprised if his name doesn't pop up in connection with doping. investing in a market that's bothered (to say the least) with reputation issues doesn't seem the best way to spend one's money.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

mattr

by mattr

tymon_tm wrote:in order to make this post even remotely about Lemond - i'll be more than surprised if his name doesn't pop up in connection with doping. investing in a market that's bothered (to say the least) with reputation issues doesn't seem the best way to spend one's money.
funnily enough, he's one of the (Very) few pre pharmstrong, high profile riders with not a sniff of a scandal or impropriety. Not to say he didn't, but he's hidden it better than most/all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com