Lemond looking at making bikes again

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

On August 26, http://www.bicycleretailer.com/north-america/2013/08/26/lemond-appoints-bryan-melton-sales-and-marketing-director wrote:LeMond LLC has appointed industry veteran Bryan Melton as its director of sales and marketing.

Melton was most recently sales manager for Felt Bicycles where he has been for six years. He spent six years in sales and marketing at Giant Bicycles prior to joining Felt.

“I share Greg's entrepreneurial vision and enthusiasm for the cycling industry, and look forward to growing the LeMond suite of brands together," Melton said.

"Bryan brings a wealth of knowledge with over 20 years of experience working both the retail and industry side within sales and marketing,” Greg LeMond said. “His positive outlook and excitement for this business is rivaled only by my own. Bryan is a tremendous asset and will lead our team into the next phases of our business."
I'm not sure what, if anything, this means regarding whether Lemond branded bicycles might be resurrected.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryker

by ryker

Bring back the Poprad!!!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

LeMond to introduce three bikes at Interbike wrote:The bikes, made by Time in France ...

The three models will have color schemes based on LeMond's Tour de France victories in 1986, 1989 and 1990. ...

The three models will be outfitted with Campy's 80th Anniversary Record groups. ...

<LeMond said> For a time I lost my creative outlet, but like form coming back to a rider who was weakened, I have rediscovered my creativity and passion for the bike.

I hope Lemond's creativity and passion is not limited to putting a (3) different paint job(s) on an off the shelf (?) Time, outfitting it with Campy's 80th Anniversary Record group, and marking up the price on top of Time and Campy's already exotic prices. In any event, he better hope the Tahoe-area dentists have recovered from the recession.

I like Greg, but this is not the direction I was hoping for in Lemond cycles. I have a feeling that the limited edition will be limited to however many they can sell, which I'm not sure will be very many. Although, maybe this is just a starting point? Maybe get Time to make a Lemond (stretched out geometry and STA) geometry, presuming enough people are going to prefer that geometry to the Time-branded offerings, or do these bikes have a different geometry than the Time-branded ones - I guess we'll find out next week?

NS

by NS

God I love it when I'm right

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Let wait and see what these LeMond inspired Time built bikes look like first.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Ha, actually rolled out at the Time Megeve sportive with him this year, didn't really put 2 and 2 together. Still a nice dude, even if the extra pounds means he went backward as the route went upwards :-D Image

Straff

by Straff

Hope they bring back Drop-Ins :P . Great for touring.
----------------------------------------------
Opinions expressed herein are merely personal. Especially the words.

Antoine

by Antoine

he could have just rebadged generic frames and make a lot of money ...

instead he's working with one of the best manufacturer :

“The level of design and craftsmanship poured into their products today is unsurpassed. The balance of strength, weight,
durability and ride quality in what they build puts them atop the podium as the premiere carbon constructor"

that's a good start, after he can create his own models

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

ultyguy wrote:Ha, actually rolled out at the Time Megeve sportive with him this year, didn't really put 2 and 2 together. Still a nice dude, even if the extra pounds means he went backward as the route went upwards :-D

He has gained some weight since last year but then again he's got nothing to prove #beentheredonethat :lol:

Straff wrote:Hope they bring back Drop-Ins :P . Great for touring.

Oh God no.

Antoine wrote:he could have just rebadged generic frames and make a lot of money ...

instead he's working with one of the best manufacturer :

“The level of design and craftsmanship poured into their products today is unsurpassed. The balance of strength, weight,
durability and ride quality in what they build puts them atop the podium as the premiere carbon constructor"

that's a good start, after he can create his own models

I don't think LeMond is there with the engineer designing the bike. He can make suggestions and steer them in a direction that pleases him but I hope it's not going to be like Homer Simpson building his own car.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/09/12/gre ... more-66224

States that there will be some changes.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Yeah, I had his poster in my room as a kid, riding on the champs on aerobars #myhero he's got nothing left to prove in the road, least of all to me!

Edit- I also had an 853, poprad, great bike!

Wingnut

by Wingnut

What's with the #hashtags?

Frans

by Frans

ultimobici wrote:
kgt wrote:
jmh wrote:
Velofreak wrote:List of bike brands destroyed by Trek:
- Klein.
- Gary Fisher.
- Lemond.

You forgot Bontrager.

Bontrager still exists and makes good stuff.
BTW a modern reincarnation of the classic KLEIN hardtails (adroit, attitude etc.) would be a huge success in a marketing point of view.

Only as a name that Trek puts on their Far East produced accessories. SFA to do with Bontrager bar Keith getting his cheque each month, despite what the blurb on their website says about design.

Word. If people think that Bontrager invented what are re-badged HED wheels they must be new to the industry. Bontrager pioneered the 3 piece MTB fork and a really cool frame with small tubes for the lower seat stays that sleeved into a stiffer yoke for braking power. Kinda like this: http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-cl ... 36-21.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (sorry, you have to scroll down and look for a green MTB with yellow decals towards the bottom of the page).

My problem with Trek isn't ethics, it's economics. They destroy value. Klein, Lemond, Bontrager, Fisher all had value as companies until Trek bought them and slowly choked them by restricting design and marketing budgets and shrunk their product lines until they died. That's destroying value. Only name they kept was Bontrager. How a frame designer's name is now on tyres and tri bars is beyond me. It's cynical and shows he distain they have for the customer's intelligence.

Frans

by Frans

Ok, that was a negative post vis a vis Trek.

But on the other hand I'm happy to see Lemond back at it. Why not? He's suffered a lot at the hands of the so-called industry and with Landis and with his brother in law's crappy aim so probably deserves a bit of a comeback.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com