So much for helping out the LBS...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

My front enve tubular rim delaminated and it was outside their warranty period. Since I don't use tubulars all that often anymore, I decided to have a wheel built around the extralite hub I already had, but use a farsport 38mm tubular rim (my "un-enve" 3-4 set). I decided to ask the LBS owner if he could build up the wheel as I never really use him for much since I do almost all of my own wrenching. He can't get sapim spokes so he told me what length to get and I ordered them. Too long. I was able to return them and re-ordered the "correct" length. Got a call yesterday, still too long. Each time I do this I lose some money shipping the wrong ones back and paying for shipping the new ones. Not a lot, but $3.50 here, $3.50 there and it starts adding up.
It's a good thing I wasn't in any rush for this and it'll probably be the last time I do it.
Speedplay is the devil!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

since you're so keen on doing your own wrenching I think its fair to say that you are fully capable of determining the correct spoke length on your own. There are plenty of spoke length calculators and component dimension specs can be found on the interwebs, pretty easily, for almost any rim/hub. If you cant find the specs on the internet there are also articles that walk you through taking those measurements.

"measure twice, cut once" so to speak. If you and the shop guy get different numbers, try taking measurements together to see where the differences are from. don't speak down about your LBS just because of your own lack of effort.

just my $0.02

AJS914

by AJS914

When you pay for expertise from the LBS you are supposed to get it. You shouldn't have to buy your own spokes.

xena
Banned

by xena

Tony who.owns the shop I use builds wheels with spokes he has lying around to make sure the size ordered is perfect.
Wheel calculators are not always correct. Much better to put the wheel together
especially if your using unbranded hubs
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

rmerka

by rmerka

The only time the math doesn't work, I would think would be when you're using funky parts like spokes that stretch a lot. Like "super spokes" and that type of stuff. And of course when your measurements are off, garbage in/garbage out...

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

@ wpccrunner - if I wanted to do all that work I would, the whole idea was to have him do it so I didn't have to take the time (which I don't have a lot of these days). FYI, the one thing I haven't taken on is wheel building and that's why I asked him if he could do it and he jumped at it.

BTW, what if I wasn't doing all of my own work, would it be ok to be upset then?
Speedplay is the devil!

by 9734344

Fail.
I'm not a NUMBER.........I'm a Free Man

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Did he have the hub and the rim in hand when the initial calculation was made? If not it's a little unfair to criticise. Variances on subsequent calculations are a little less understandable.

nismosr

by nismosr

When I asked my LBS if he can build my Ambrosio Nemesis rims with ebay hubs and lace it with DT spokes, the answer I received was sure and you will have it in a week. Aren't lbs have the knowledge of calculating spokes length. and yes they finished my wheels in a week.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2022 Ridley Kanzo Adv Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2022 Basso Palta 2-Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2023 Colnagno G3X-SRAM Force-Levante

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

ultimobici wrote:Did he have the hub and the rim in hand when the initial calculation was made? If not it's a little unfair to criticise. Variances on subsequent calculations are a little less understandable.

Yes. Had both.
Speedplay is the devil!

DanW

by DanW

In fairness to them Chinese rims are notoriously out of spec when it comes to selecting spoke length based on manufacturer measurements. The only way to get it right is to try as Xena says which may or may not have been possible at the time you dropped in. It also bugs me when people say they are helping out the LBS but that is getting a little OT...

mattr

by mattr

nismosr wrote:When I asked my LBS if he can build my Ambrosio Nemesis rims with ebay hubs and lace it with DT spokes, the answer I received was sure and you will have it in a week. Aren't lbs have the knowledge of calculating spokes length. and yes they finished my wheels in a week.
You were lucky, the ERDs of ambrosio rims is a bit hit and miss.........

rmerka

by rmerka

It's not hard to measure ERD??? All you need is a ruler and a rubber band. Shop should have measured both rims and hubs and THEN come up with correct spokes. Plain and simple.

nismosr

by nismosr

mattr wrote:
nismosr wrote:When I asked my LBS if he can build my Ambrosio Nemesis rims with ebay hubs and lace it with DT spokes, the answer I received was sure and you will have it in a week. Aren't lbs have the knowledge of calculating spokes length. and yes they finished my wheels in a week.
You were lucky, the ERDs of ambrosio rims is a bit hit and miss.........

Here's a Damon Rinard's spoke calculator from Sheldon Browns site

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/spocalc.htm
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2022 Ridley Kanzo Adv Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2022 Basso Palta 2-Rival/GX AXS-Zipp 303s
2023 Colnagno G3X-SRAM Force-Levante

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

Doesn't help when ambrosio can't even decide what the ERD is.