Long torso, good reach but short legs. Advice req.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Wing nuts? This is more than 2 decades after Campagnolo started selling QR's.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

jekyll man wrote:I think the 2 guys in the last pic will give as much of an answer as you're going to get on here ;-)

If you cant believe in what you think is right/wrong and what the shop is saying, try elsewhere..

i dont think pics on the turbo bear much resemblance to what happens out riding in regards to postion anyway, but i'm no expert

Yes I hear you, but I am so not a 56cm on paper its freaky.

Heart size 56, head says 54, wallet says different bike :shock:

rustychain

by rustychain

I have a long torso with short legs. After decades of frustration I bit the bullet on a custom frame. Nothing is more important then fit for both perfomance and comfort. Save your coin until you can get a good fit. The picture you show is not a good fit IMO :beerchug:
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

djconnel

by djconnel

I knew a guy who went to the Merckx factory in Belgium and they had an old Chris Boardman frame: huge top tube to down tube delta, which they sold him off-the-rack.

The key issue here is we're used to pro teams where they squeeze the riders onto the standard range of geometries. As a result you end up seeing stuff like 16 cm stems in some cases. But if you compare different frame companies, as my plots show, you can find a range of fits. I'd look at Felt, for example.

bluesea

by bluesea

Short legs often means sizing down for a shorter HT length, switching out cone spacers and ordering a "Slam Your Stem" dust cover.

wingguy

by wingguy

diegogarcia wrote:Given we ride with our legs, I am now thinking 54cm for efficient pedal stroke as although chain stay length the same, extra 2cm stand over on 56cm = higher seat stays in turn affecting the saddle height and kops.

I'm sorry, but what are you talking about here? Seat tube angle is identical between 54 and 56, so why would your saddle position be changed? What does chain stay length or seat stay height have to do with your pedal stroke?

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

wingguy wrote:
diegogarcia wrote:Given we ride with our legs, I am now thinking 54cm for efficient pedal stroke as although chain stay length the same, extra 2cm stand over on 56cm = higher seat stays in turn affecting the saddle height and kops.

I'm sorry, but what are you talking about here? Seat tube angle is identical between 54 and 56, so why would your saddle position be changed? What does chain stay length or seat stay height have to do with your pedal stroke?

well the HT is taller, thus the top tube is taller, thus the seat stays are higher imo making the bike bigger at the back than a 54cm. Taller I would call it...?

wingguy

by wingguy

So how's that going to change either your saddle height or setback relative to the BB?