Shimano pedal Specialized shoe - can't get foot forward

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Dura Ace 7900 pedals, SWorks shoe size 45 (about 11.5).

Even with the cleat all the way back the spindle is just under the ball of my foot. I want the spindle about 1 cm further back under my foot.

Anyone know any solutions? Can you re-drill these shoes? Modding the cleat doesn't seem possible.

Look pedal systems allowed much more flexibility in terms of cleat position and indeed I could get my foot significantly further forward on the pedal if I wanted. But the Shimano pedal is just a superior product. (Also I would never even consider a different shoe so that is out.)

Thanks.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

AGW

by AGW

I'm interested as well since I have the same problem by a large margin with PI shoes. I asked here, but the only suggestions I could get were a bunch of uninformed recommendations to pay for access to Steve Hogg's site.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

I am using the S-works with 7900. I don't have that problem, but there is always the option of just drilling your shoes and using T-Nuts exactly wherre you need them. I have done that with other combinations.

Those with the big prongs are not ideal, but if you google there are many styles. The large flat head goes on the inside and is covered by your insole.
Extreme example:

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Excellent tip, thanks.

The prongs would have to be modified, ground down a bit.

I wonder about undermining the integrity of the sole. I think Specialized missed a bit with the larger sizes of their shoes. I have a normal foot and only at the most extreme rearward setting of the cleat would the set up be considered acceptable.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Rick

by Rick

Just for the record: I am in size 9, 42.5, and I thought I had fairly normal foot dimensions except a very high arch. I have my setup at pretty close to a KOPS position, and my cleats are just about centered in their adjustment range. I don't know if maybe you got a miss-drilled pair ? Can you compare at a LBS ?