HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 427 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 29  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:57 pm 

Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed
He <Armstrong> met with United States Anti-Doping Agency officials, including Travis Tygart, the agency’s chief executive, last month to discuss what he needed to do to mitigate his ban.
Here's what Tygart told Armstrong he needed to do. "First, you need to go on Oprah ..."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:28 pm 

Wall Street Journal article "Behind Lance Armstrong's Decision to Talk" http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324734904578241801441261928.html. In case this is not readable (subscription required), you can go to http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/wall-street-journal/im-the-one-with-key-to-my-redemption-lance-armstrong/story-fnay3ubk-1226554638136 .

Behind the scenes goings on with Armstrong, Tygart, etc.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:28 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:09 pm 

There will be a 2 1/2 hour interview on the O network aired in 2 parts. Oprah decided not to cut any parts of it and will air the whole 2 and 1/2 hours.
She came prepared with 114 questions of which he answered most of them.
He also came prepared to answer those questions. Yes he did have his lawyers with him but they were not in the room and they approved all the answers ultimately.

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:58 pm 

Look at the bright side of all this:
As an admitted liar and cheater, Lance is now qualified to join Bill Clinton as a figurehead for the Democratic Party !
It is the start of a whole new career, with fans that will admire and respect his "abilities" ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:33 pm 

artray wrote:
Its ok you guys saying The UCI is going down and it may well do . It may not be enough for just a few heads to roll . Then what body would replace it ?

I didn't mean literally that there will be no more UCI. I meant "going down" as in "taking a fall." If LA outs Vebruggen and McQuaid, heads will roll; but I would also expect the board of directors to take some serious action to reform the organization. (Remember, they made McQuaid pull the libel suit against Kimmage.) And there will be a lot of pressure from inside cycling and from the press to make institutional changes so "this cannot happen again." Otherwise, the sport of cycling really will suffer.

There's too much money at stake for there not to be some major changes. The important issue is that changes have to be more than window dressing.

@ Rick: that's a stupid and gratuitous swipe at the Democrats. For one thing, Clinton is not the head of the party. (We have a different Democratic President in case you haven't noticed.) For another, LA is a Republican. For a third, it's not like the last Republican standard bearer could keep his stories straight. Oh, never mind.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:57 pm 

I agree Swinter. It depends what Lance says. If there are any accusations against anyone in the UCI ,then how much did other UCI figure-heads turn a blind eye. If it's obvious that a blind eye was turned then the UCI could fall . Theres a lot of money with sponsorship to deal with and the top riders and teams bring a lot of money to the table and when you look at the fact that just about every GC contender past or present has been busted for PEDs and the use of doping Drs and ex doped riders is the norm, you have to say the UCI must be turning a blind eye when it suits them. The UCI are without a doubt IMO the least capable sporting body but I don't want to see cycling take a big hit when other sports seem to get away with doping issues with minimum damage.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:14 pm 

Thursday night should be interesting.

I was thinking this morning about Verbruggen's role in the whole Graham Obree affair. I really wouldn't be the least bit sad to see him go down for his failed leadership of the UCI.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:42 pm 

I'm fine with the whole governing body, the team directors, race organizers, national federations, even WADA taking a big hit. They deserve it. Lance did not do his by himself. It still is going on in our sport and others in a big way.

Comments regarding political parties are not relevant to any intelligent discussion and poster should by drawn and quarters for the offense

Have a nice day

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:58 pm 
Formerly known as wassertreter

Everyone hopes for Armstrong speaking out against Verbruggen/McQuaid, but if he does, they will of course have an easy time defending themselves against a doping cheat and long time liar (as per WADA verdict), who is just grumpy because they caught him and took his titles away. And Armstrong would be on the receiving end, unless he can provide solid evidence for complicity. It would not be without some dramatic comedy to see the roles changed like that.

Can't see it happening, though. Don't get your hopes up too high. Securing future income opportunities (through sponsors, event participation etc) is probably higher on his list than "cleaning up the sport".

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:06 pm 

I don't think it happened, but what Oprah should have done after Lance admitted to doping, is to have had Greg, Frankie, Betsy, and Emma all come into the interview room together and confront him. It wouldn't hurt Springer to be a little more like Oprah, and Oprah to be a little more like Springer.

Here's what Frankie had to say: ESPN radio mp3 link

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:17 pm 

Rick wrote:
Look at the bright side of all this:
As an admitted liar and cheater, Lance is now qualified to join Bill Clinton as a figurehead for the Democratic Party !
It is the start of a whole new career, with fans that will admire and respect his "abilities" ;)

im pretty sure hes a republican.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:32 pm 

HammerTime2 wrote:
I don't think it happened, but what Oprah should have done after Lance admitted to doping, is to have had Greg, Frankie, Betsy, and Emma all come into the interview room together and confront him. It wouldn't hurt Springer to be a little more like Oprah, and Oprah to be a little more like Springer.

Here's what Frankie had to say: ESPN radio mp3 link

Radio commentator: If you were in a room with Lance Armstrong right now and you had a talk what would you say to him?
Frankie: I would say you know you made it rough for my wife and I don't right now forgive you for that and if you taking the right steps for making things correct ah there could be a chance down the road .... :lol: :lol:

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:40 pm 

Cycling thrown out of olympics may not be the worst thing to happen. Sure cycling would loose the national funding teet to suck in many countries and some gravy train riders would need to seek new employment, but the whole olympics driven system may not be the best thing in long run.

Not much has changed over 20 years with doping in cycling. Getting caught is still the biggest issue, but more people pretend wanting to expose doping.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 pm 

I'm looking forward to see who Lance outs, if anyone, to save his own skin. Do you think he'll sell Johan down the road?

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:09 pm 

Bet the house on it. :thumbup:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 427 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 29  Next