Will Armstrong confess??

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

artray

by artray

What would happen if LA owned up and admit that he paid the UCI to make any drug issues go away .
What would happen to the UCI ? IMO I don't think a few heads rolling would be enough . I think they would be finished as a sporting body. It would have very serious consequences for cycling .

edesigner

by edesigner

The only way he has a chance of pulling this off is also to admit he has a major psychological disorder this fits him quite well http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001930/. He went so beyond lying I see no other way to do it.

He'd have to fess up that he's under some type of professional care and treatment for anybody to remotely listen.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

swinter

by swinter

clearly he is a narcissistic personality. but even if were a person with narcissistic personality disorder (a more serious version): (a) it doesn't "cause" lying; (b) it definitely doesn't excuse lying; and (c) there's no known cure.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

jjmstang

by jjmstang

SCA is wanting $12 million. The 7.5 million is what they paid out to Lance......they want interest and damages also

-John
Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

Velofreak

by Velofreak

artray wrote:What would happen if LA owned up and admit that he paid the UCI to make any drug issues go away .
What would happen to the UCI ? IMO I don't think a few heads rolling would be enough . I think they would be finished as a sporting body. It would have very serious consequences for cycling .

that would be extremely cool.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

we're living in the world of 'IFs' but....

if Lance makes the confession, he'll be facing perjury charges.
if he can deal with them (=pay large fines/settlements) does that still make him ..erm.. guilty? like officially?

- i'm asking this because i wonder what weight his confession could carry if he's basically a convicted liar? in other words, he may blow the big whistle here, but as an offender himself, one wouldn't be able to use him as a sort of crown witness, no?

furthermore, this may seem like a case from a B-class courthouse drama, but still:
if LA's team can successfully raise a doubt whether SCA knew about doping, he walks paying them exatly nothing, no?
and if he can proove that SCA knew about his doping issues, could LA seek for damages himself? after all it would mean they pressured him to dope offering large bonuses :unbelievable:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

swinter

by swinter

jjmstang wrote:SCA is wanting $12 million. The 7.5 million is what they paid out to Lance......they want interest and damages also

everyone always asks for more than they expect to get. that way when the case inevitably settles for less than the asking figure, they end up closer to their real bottom line.
tymon_tm wrote:if Lance makes the confession, he'll be facing perjury charges. if he can deal with them (=pay large fines/settlements) does that still make him ..erm.. guilty? like officially?

Depends on the plea deal/settlement. It may require an admission and plea to a lesser offense and payment of a fine. Or it could be structured so that Lance makes no specific admission, the government waives the right to prosecute, and Lance pays to settle the False Claims Act case (in which the United States is the real party in interest).
tymon_tm wrote: asking this because i wonder what weight his confession could carry if he's basically a convicted liar? in other words, he may blow the big whistle here, but as an offender himself, one wouldn't be able to use him as a sort of crown witness, no?

I suppose it could be used to cross-examine him and impeach his credibility should he be called to testify against another party (e.g., Bruyneel). But that's no different than any standard criminal case when someone has turned state's evidence. Usually, the impeachment is not successful.
tymon_tm wrote:if LA's team can successfully raise a doubt whether SCA knew about doping, he walks paying them exatly nothing, no?
and if he can proove that SCA knew about his doping issues, could LA seek for damages himself? after all it would mean they pressured him to dope offering large bonuses :unbelievable:

That seem fanciful on several counts. It seems doubtful that SCA could have had any concrete knowledge of doping (why would they have signed on to pay him the bonus if they did? In effect, they were betting against Lance winning.) Even if they had a suspicion, the fact that they tried to protect themselves in the contract would vitiate any implied condonation. The idea that they encouraged him to dope by offering a reward (which, remember, they didn't want to pay; they wanted to collect the fee and not have to pay out) has no legal legs whatsoever.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Maybe it will be like Tiger's confession. Remember that? What a total lame D-Bag affair. In the little theatre with his family and friends trying to save a few endorsement deals. Like anyone ever cared who he was banging.

:P :P :P
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

edesigner

by edesigner

swinter wrote:clearly he is a narcissistic personality. but even if were a person with narcissistic personality disorder (a more serious version): (a) it doesn't "cause" lying; (b) it definitely doesn't excuse lying; and (c) there's no known cure.

True. You get it.. but the general public would probably buy it.

As far as the damages he might owe.. I imagine a book deal with that number is on the table. People love controversy.

Cronulla

by Cronulla

He won´t confess the biggest thing to be released(confessed) in his autobiography.

sawyer

by sawyer

Yes, a book and TV show to shore up the finances might make sense.

I'd like to see him confess. It would be good for cycling if it helps clean up the UCI and nail a few more bad eggs.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

artray

by artray

Bad eggs :roll: has the whole history and culture of cycling passed you by ?

Look at the teams and riders and staff we have now. Show me the good eggs .

You want good eggs , go to Waitrose :lol:

edesigner

by edesigner

sawyer wrote:Yes, a book and TV show to shore up the finances might make sense.

I'd like to see him confess. It would be good for cycling if it helps clean up the UCI and nail a few more bad eggs.

The first person he owe's a big apology to is Greg Lemond. I hope Lemond gets some of the lawyer fees he had to pay out fighting Lance's attacks.

swinter

by swinter

edesigner wrote:The first person he owe's a big apology to is Greg Lemond. I hope Lemond gets some of the lawyer fees he had to pay out fighting Lance's attacks.

And the Andreus. And Emma O'Reilly. And Bassons. And this guy: http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/biking/road-biking/My-Life-With-Lance-Armstrong.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

artray wrote:Bad eggs :roll: has the whole history and culture of cycling passed you by ?

Look at the teams and riders and staff we have now. Show me the good eggs .

You want good eggs , go to Waitrose :lol:

Ever ready with a charming comment hey artray?

Do you know your claret from your beaujolais?

Show us the evidence Wiggins is cheating. Go on ... post it ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: