Will Armstrong confess??

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Will Armstrong confess to all his misdeeds? I don't know. But the Wall Street Journal states that according to people briefed on the matter, the U.S. Department of Justice has decided to join a whistleblower lawsuit against former cyclist Lance Armstrong. This is the Floyd Landis suit, which if it prevails, could shower considerable money on Floyd.

Wall Street Journal article (may require subscription) U.S. to Join Suit Against Armstrong

Cyclingnews summary of Wall Street Journal article http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/us-government-joins-whistleblower-suit-against-armstrong

Edit: It's official now. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-02-22/u-s-joins-armstrong-ex-teammate-landis-in-whistleblower-suit.html
Last edited by HammerTime2 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

He will flee.....unless he is delusional and thinks he can beat the charges. Go all Roman Polanski style.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

This case is civil (i.e., money), not criminal (as was Polaniski's). And so far, we know Armstrong is a liar, cheater, and bully, but despite his having dated some younger women, have not heard suggestions that he engaged in improper conduct, Polanski style, with minors. It would be kind of funny though, if Armstrong "did a Polanski" and fled to France - rather than Polanski's luxurious exile, perhaps he'd be met with the guillotine.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I doubt any European country would take him.

Certain countries in South America, however, may be a good place to hide.
I'm thinking Bolivia, Uruguay, Argentina.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Columbia.....good climbing and a favorable exchange rate.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

just recently Putin invited Depardieu in. there were speculations of another celeb making a similar 'spectacular' transfer. i suppose Russia seems like an interesting destination for LA too. and he just might have a shot at lighting the olympic torch in Sochi :idea:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

You guys have missed the most obvious choice.

Chávez, as his last act before he meets his maker, could welcome and declare Armstrong to be a Venezuelan state hero for his valiant struggle on behalf of the people against the American imperialists who have been persecuting him.

I think he could be welcomed in one European country. Putin could put him up in a nice dacha.

Edit: My Putin idea was generated independently of tymon_tm's post, which I did not see until after I posted.

geedawg

by geedawg

i don't know much about the case, but from what i understand, like hammertime said, this is a civil case that the gov't is joining. that just means a monetary penalty. in most cases, no point in fleeing the country over no possibility of jail time. don't know for sure, but somehow i think the act of fleeing might make it more than civil, and jail time could be an option for the act of fleeing.

think oj simpson. . .not guilty in criminal court but got taken to civil court where he lost and had to pay a bunch of money. but no jail time

J-Nice

by J-Nice

To answer a previous poster's question, Lance's mental state is the same as it's ever been-arrogant and defiant.

Which is why he refused to cooperate with the USADA and why the US government joining Landis' Qui Tam lawsuit doesn't bother him.

High-priced lawyers have a way of sucking even rich people dry, and Armstrong is spending tons of money on legal fees despite the fact that his revenue stream has been terminated and he's living off is his investments.

He needs to get sued by everyone who can sue him. Time to get what he deserves for all he's done.
Check out the latest controversies in sport-

http://berzin.blogspot.com/

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I know of a good revenue stream potential for lance. Perhaps he can replace Bob Roll in those Road-ID commercials were he goes around pounding on everyone's door trying to get someone to ride with him. After all the cyclists say No, one last door knock would have OJ Simpson answer and say, "Sorry Lance, I don't ride, but if you want to join me for a round of golf..."
D'oh!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

He's gonna need a revenue stream real fast.

Some of the incredibly sordid backstory:
Senator Feinstein appointed Mr. Birotte to U.S. Attorney late in '09.
Birotte in turn was the one who called off the DOJ criminal investigation of LA early '12.
Why?
Well,concurrently, Livestrong makes a big donation to Planned Parenthood.
Planned Parenthood raises "dark money" for Feinstein's campaigns.
So was it Feinstein who profitted in exchange for "influence" to protect LA?

LA used to hang out & ride mtb with "Bubba" Bush.
Do you suppose he got some advice/referrals on how to grease politicians?

Now DOJ has to join Qui Tam, because USPS was obviously defrauded (notwithstanding LA's claims that
he MADE them money, rather than cost them - what BS). What will come out is the drug trafficking aspect,
and the criminal investigation will be kick-started.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Feinastein's statement of her role in Birotte's nomination to be U.S. Attorney for Central California: http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=c147d1ae-5056-8059-76f0-ad808baf0046

ABC News claimed on 5 February 2013 that Armstrong is under Federal criminal investigation for Obstruction, Witness Tampering and Intimidation, by some part of the federal government other than the U.S. Attorney for Central California (Birotte): http://abcnews.go.com/US/lance-armstrong-investigation-obstruction-witness-tampering-intimidation/story?id=18415386

Does anyone know how it is that the U.S. Attorney for Central California was running the earlier criminal investigation on Armstrong? Why the U.S. Attorney for Central California? I'm having trouble finding the story on that.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

HT2, those kind of possible charges (ie obstruction, tampering) are almost always investigated by the FBI.

If he tried to intimidate his adversaries, he'd also do it to the other players in the legal system. The personality is consistent.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

What I just said:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/02/ ... dge_276159

they're all scurrying back to the rocks under which they came...

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Astute observation:
Commenter Patrick McQuown in http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/02/news/must-reads-armstrong-to-challenge-government-money-man-denies-doping-knowledge_276159 wrote:Here is what I love: in one breath you have "you <the U.S. government> knew or should have known that I <Lance Armstrong> was doping." Then in the next breath the guy <Tailwind Sports owner Thomas Weisel> who effectively funded Lance and had way, way, way more access to him says "I didn't know he was doping."
I added the items in < > for clarity.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com