HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Post subject: Locks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:13 pm 

Hi

I am looking for the best lock money can buy! Only to be used when storing bike in garage. Wont be able to use a ground anchor, as it's not my property!

Was thinking of using this...

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/ ... re+Details

any views or other suggestions?

Thanks

Post subject: Locks
Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:13 pm 

Post subject: Re: Locks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:51 pm 

The most comprehensive thread - yet - on this subject:
http://www.lfgss.com/thread17938.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:26 pm 

Um locks are old school. Any portable cut off saw with a diamond blade will cut that little lock in about as fast as you can get to your garage.
No lock is impenetrable so what is there?

Well there is GPS.
There are small little devices you can put inside your frame
to track your bike when it's stolen.

It can even send you a text while it's being stolen.

Then you can call the police and have them handle it.
:up: :lol:

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:45 pm 

^^ true. there's one called cricket.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:41 am 

A good lock is a deterrent. A thief doesn't want to take a lot of time trying to steal a bike. Cutting is noisy and time consuming. Thieves go after soft targets. The first line of defense, if you are talking about a bike in your garage, is to keep the garage locked and the bike(s) out of view. A functioning alarm and home security system helps too. Then, a heavy chain and lock, like this Kryptonite lock (http://www.kryptonitelock.com/Pages/ProductInformation.aspx?PNumber=999492 ) can be the ultimate protection.

I am fortunate to have secure storage where I work, so I don't carry a heavy lock when I commute. But when I was in Washington, DC I always carried two different locks... a chain and a u-lock. It made a potential thief look at solving two problems usually requiring two sets of tools.

Bottom line. Make your bike a hard target so a potential thief will look elsewhere.

English Custom Steel Internal di2
Litespeed Ghisallo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:36 pm 

Leave something tempting and more easily stolen that you can forgo right next to your bike and follow Ted's advice on locking it. That's how I store my bikes, behind 4 locked doors, out of sight and locked to something that's bolted to the wall/floor.

Also check the terms of any insurance you have on what is required for the bike to be protected.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:53 pm 

My favorite tool :D

I agree that locks as a deterrent work. But I also am realistic in that if they want your bike they will get it.
So let them have it and then track them down.

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:57 pm 

Incidentally that is also an excellent tool when tracking down 'em bastards! ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:12 pm 

stella-azzurra wrote:
Um locks are old school. Any portable cut off saw with a diamond blade will cut that little lock in about as fast as you can get to your garage.
No lock is impenetrable so what is there?

Well there is GPS.
There are small little devices you can put inside your frame
to track your bike when it's stolen.

It can even send you a text while it's being stolen.

Then you can call the police and have them handle it.
:up: :lol:

But, these have significant limitations, as well. Aside from recurring costs for data transfer, there's this: "Because it relies on GPS, the device will stop operating effectively if your bike is taken inside or anywhere there isn't a clear view of the sky. In that case, the unit will step down to GSM cellular triangulation. The company says GSM is only accurate to about 650 feet (200 m), which could prove all but useless in a building-dense environment like the center of a city. In fact, even GPS's claimed 16 to 82 feet (5 to 25 m) accuracy won't necessarily bring you right to the thief's doorstep." (source: http://www.gizmag.com/spybike-gps-tracker/22999/).

Seems to me that, if you can't keep the bike with you, take off a wheel, use a very cheap and light weight cable lock, stay in sight of the bike and buy a $40.00 Kimber Pepper Blaster. When the thief is caught in the act, give him a message that keeps on giving for about 45 minutes, at least (suggested with the usual disclaimers)

KAC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:46 pm 

Try this: http://tigrlock.com/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:42 pm 

kac wrote:

But, these have significant limitations, as well. Aside from recurring costs for data transfer, there's this: "Because it relies on GPS, the device will stop operating effectively if your bike is taken inside or anywhere there isn't a clear view of the sky. In that case, the unit will step down to GSM cellular triangulation. The company says GSM is only accurate to about 650 feet (200 m), which could prove all but useless in a building-dense environment like the center of a city. In fact, even GPS's claimed 16 to 82 feet (5 to 25 m) accuracy won't necessarily bring you right to the thief's doorstep." (source: http://www.gizmag.com/spybike-gps-tracker/22999/).

Seems to me that, if you can't keep the bike with you, take off a wheel, use a very cheap and light weight cable lock, stay in sight of the bike and buy a $40.00 Kimber Pepper Blaster. When the thief is caught in the act, give him a message that keeps on giving for about 45 minutes, at least (suggested with the usual disclaimers)

KAC

Sure for a time it can be obstructed but not for ever. GPS will get better for sure and there are alternatives.
Like a GPS locator.
A GPS locator does not record regular position updates, it will only log its position on command. Simply send a TXT to the tracker and it will TXT back its’ location. Some GPS locators will send GPS co-ordinates (Latitude and Longitude) which can then be entered into Google to bring up a map. Other devices, such as AVS GPS locators, will instead send a Google maps link directly to your smart phone, this is a much quicker way of seeing the location of the device.

There is usually no monthly service fee with a GPS locator which makes them an affordable GPS option for private use vehicles and other personal assets. They usually run on a pre-pay SIM card which you just need to keep in credit. Good GPS locators, can also send alarm trigger alerts and control other functions by text as well. However it is important to remember that locators do not record any GPS history. If the GPS locator is removed by a thief before you realize your asset is missing there is no way to track it.

All of this stuff can be defeated.

The bottom line here is that locks get defeated at best in 10 - 60 seconds. Especially in a garage.
You have all the time in the world. Best thing to do is get a good lock for the garage.
Then I would definitely add some type of tracking device to the bike if you care about it so much.
Other wise put the bike in your house next to your bed. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:06 am 

KOGAN wrote:
Hi

I am looking for the best lock money can buy! Only to be used when storing bike in garage. Wont be able to use a ground anchor, as it's not my property!

Was thinking of using this...

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/ ... re+Details" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

any views or other suggestions?

Thanks

As well as Almax, Squire and Pragmasis also do highly rated 16mm anti-theft chains. I don't think you could get better than that Squire SS65CS padlock, but to save a few quid you could secure the chain with a D lock that you already have, if it's a very good one.

Though if you can't use a ground anchor, what are you going to be chaining your bike/s to? One solution might be to drill or weld a length of scaffolding pole, or adapt another cumbersome metal object, to loop or lock the chain through.

BTW, do bear in mind that a 16mm steel chain is very heavy & hard, and could potentially damage a bike frame or other components.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:40 am 

Geoff wrote:

That TiGr lock looks nice & is said to be very light, but the material (titanium) & thinness of it makes one doubtful of whether it could resist manual boltcroppers.

Unfortunately, some checking on the web seems to bear out such suspicions. Eg, a video on Youtube showing a young German lady chopping through this lock in 5 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb8YoT9Q9VA

Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:40 am