Your Favourite Cycling books

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

noctilux

by noctilux

Finally my first post in WW after a year of lurking (and shopping at the marketplace):

Half Man, Half Bike: The Life of Eddy Merckx, Cycling's Greatest Champion
William Fotheringham

A bit slow on the read of this as it took me a couple weeks to finish during my short business trips in the plane. Good enough information on world's winningest cyclist.

From google books: Leading cycling writer William Fotheringham presents the biography of the greatest cyclist in history, Eddy Merckx--the extraordinary man who is to cycling what Muhammad Ali is to boxing. This definitive history chronicles his life, examining both the ups and the downs. Throughout his professional career Merckx amassed an astonishing 445 victories and exhibited a remorseless sense of domination that created his legend. But his triumphs only tell half of a story that includes horrific injury, a doping controversy, and tragedy. To discover the background of the Belgian cyclist's former invincibility, the author spoke with those who were there at the time and those who knew Merckx best. This is the singular tale of a man whose fear of failure would drive him to reach the highest pinnacles before ultimately destroying himself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hasbeen

by hasbeen

"Major" by Todd Balf
The story of Major Taylor and his impact on the world of cycling and race relations. Plenty of U.S. history, but Australia and France had a big impact on his life as well. Very interesting book about a very under appreciated person.
Very worthwhile read in many ways.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

Sarvesh95

by Sarvesh95

"The climb" by Chris Froome
Had a lot of " XD " and "holy sh-t" moments while reading it. :D

Rick

by Rick

My favorite was "A Dog In A Hat".

I just finished both the "The Cyclist's Training Bible" and "the Companion to..."
I really didn't like them much. I suppose it would be good for a beginner to be exposed to all the concepts, but it just seemed like a hodge-podge of eery training theory and concept ever used. In the end I felt like he was just saying "It's really complicated, so you better get a coach, or you'll probably screw it up. "

......which may actually be true. :lol:

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Cyco wrote:Road Racing Training and Technique by Bernard Hinault - possibly the best book of its type ever written

just ordered this on amazon :thumbup:

duvivr6

by duvivr6

Rick wrote:My favorite was "A Dog In A Hat".

I just finished both the "The Cyclist's Training Bible" and "the Companion to..."
I really didn't like them much. I suppose it would be good for a beginner to be exposed to all the concepts, but it just seemed like a hodge-podge of eery training theory and concept ever used. In the end I felt like he was just saying "It's really complicated, so you better get a coach, or you'll probably screw it up. "

......which may actually be true. :lol:

I read both of these and I have to say they are indeed written for someone that has never ridden a road bike or trained for races. I had about 1.5 yr of riding/training and everything it says I had either seen online before or read somewhere else.

djconnel

by djconnel

Competition Bicycles by Jan Heine is excellent.
I got for Christmas "Googles and Dust" by Horton Collection via VeloPress. It's a small book, but low cost and very worthwhile.