Garmin 800 and speed sensor

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KOGAN

by KOGAN

Hi

I am looking to use my Garmin 800 on the home trainer and realized the only way to do this was to use the Garmin GSC 10 speed and cadence sensor.

I have attached this and although my garmin seems to recognize the sensors attached I don't seem to be able to view the speed?

Any help much appreciated!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Maybe you have speed set to gps? And not sensor
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

the only way to correct this is to completely turn off the GPS sensor in the head unit. From my experience, if the GPS reads 0, but the speed sensor is moving, it throws the system off, and just reads 0 speed. Once you have the head unit read speed from only the sensor, then the issue goes away. Just make sure you turn GPS on for your next ride.

rijndael

by rijndael

When you watch the LED on the unit, does it blink as the wheel magnet passes the arm?

rijndael

by rijndael

spdntrxi wrote:Maybe you have speed set to gps? And not sensor

It's not selectable. If a speed sensor is paired, it prefers that for speed over GPS.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ridonkulus

by ridonkulus

I've had a ton of problems with their speed sensor. First thing is to make sure your wheel magnet is close enough to the sensor but not to close as when fame and wheels flex it will hit it. If that doesn't work then reset the sensor by holding down the button on the sensor for 5 or so seconds. The button should blink alternating green and red and the wheel magnet and cadence sensor go by, this will let you know if they are in range as well.