Moving to Europe - where?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jockster

by jockster

If I were to pack up my things and go all in to move somewhere in Europe that offers far better cycling than where I am located now, where would that be?

Girona, Spain, seems to be the choice for many pros along with Tuscany in Italy. Any ideas or thoughts?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GT56

by GT56

jockster wrote:If I were to pack up my things and go all in to move somewhere in Europe that offers far better cycling than where I am located now, where would that be?

Girona, Spain, seems to be the choice for many pros along with Tuscany in Italy. Any ideas or thoughts?

'no questions asked' pharmacists...

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Spain and Italy are very beautiful. Not sure where you are based now, but with the financial issues both of those countries are dealing with along with high unemployment, I'm not sure I would make that jump unless you had a job in hand. I personally don't think you could go wrong with either place.

aerozy

by aerozy

Spain, Italy, France or even Portugal offer the best cycling conditions. Great scenic routes with great climate all year round. Economically they're not doing so well so as said unless your bank account is ripe it may not be worth going there.

I'm Portuguese and was forced to emigrate pretty early on in my career. I went to Scandinavia first. They have great cycling conditions during summer time but you can forget about at least 8 months of the year. I actually persisted riding in the snowy and dark conditions but it aint fun.

Ive eventually moved to the UK which strikes a perfect balance of social, economic and cycling conditions. I would imagine countries like Holland and Belgium have somewhat similar "conditions".

If I had 100% freedom of choice I would live somewhere like Nice or anywhere in the south of France! Loads of pro riders there as well.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

KB

by KB

I'm a Brit, but the best place i've worked in and ridden a bike is Holland.

munk93

by munk93

It depends on your interests. If you want to find the place with most races, Belgium is probably the place to go. But if you just want some great training rides, then go Italy or Spain. I've been to Tuscany, and it's hard to find anything better imo.
I live in Denmark, and it's not the place to go. It's possible to ride all year around, but it's not always funny in -7 celsius and dark roads with ice.

wobbly

by wobbly

Geneva......end of

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

All you need to do is check out Basilic's photos in the on the road thread to decide where to make home.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Since we don't know what your language capabilities are, nor your preferences in types of riding, nor your interests in "life in general" not just riding, the following are just a few options if we assume:
-You like the mountains and flats equally
-You like small towns and large cities equally
-You are somewhat cultured
-You can speak any language fluidly and people invite you into their homes as you are a naturally warm and welcoming soul to every person you meet.

Annecy, if you don't mind a small-ish town that is "postcard-level" beautiful and the sound of water prevalent nearly everywhere you go in the proper city.
Grenoble, if you don't mind a slightly larger town
Geneva, if you can afford it
Lausanne, if you want things significantly quieter (suburb-like) while maintaining the concept of a city.

Lyon, if you want access to the Alps, the best food in what seems like every bistro, and a major city with significant cultural activities and events and transportation access.

Ajaccio (Corsica) if you want ridiculously amazing riding year round, less cyclo-tourists that you would find on Tenerife or Majorca (or the usual), an island that proudly flies their own cultural flag, and the benefits of membership to a more established government.

Want to support a Rugby team instead of a Football team? Do you like your wine rich and lush in its notes? Want close-enough proximity to the Pyranees when you want them? Does the aerospace industry interest you at all? Live near Toulouse.

Want a creatively driven city with some considerable climbs in close proximity? Great weather year round (except for one month in summer)? Barçelona.

... etc, etc, etc:. Each city & region in Europe has its traits that significantly influence your experience both on and off the bike.
Never underestimate the value of what happens OFF the bike. Where you ride can be the most amazing location in the entire world but if where you live actually sucks, you will be a depressing, miserable and lonely mess.

"Get the balance right" - Depeche Mode.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

djconnel

by djconnel

Zurich, because my company has an office there.

trychle

by trychle

+1 on Zürich. if you have the money..

slyboots

by slyboots

KB wrote:I'm a Brit, but the best place i've worked in and ridden a bike is Holland.

Isn't it flat as a pancake? I'm genuinely interested, because personally I'd pick fighting a climb over fighting wind any time.

Maximilian

by Maximilian

I'd go somewhere in this area, or Munich.

KB

by KB

slyboots wrote:
KB wrote:I'm a Brit, but the best place i've worked in and ridden a bike is Holland.

Isn't it flat as a pancake? I'm genuinely interested, because personally I'd pick fighting a climb over fighting wind any time.

Read Prends post and you pick what suits you. For me, Holland's a good place to ride a bike; yes it's flat, but then i'm close to being 61, so long climbs don't appeal anymore. Plus, back in the day, the weed was always high quality and the beer was good as well. The only thing wrong was they don't have rugby worth it's name; OK then Sydney would be the best place to live, but I didn't ride a bike there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com