painting a carbon steerer black

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

konky

by konky

I want to paint a section of a fork steerer tube as it's exposed after fitting a new insubstancial Extralite stem. My guess an auto shop would be the best place to get a suitable paint to cover the yellowish steerer. Any other ideas?

motorthings

by motorthings

sharpie?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elviento

by elviento

Pretty much any method should work. A proper paintjob may add thickness to it and installation could create unsightly marks which could be exposed.

I say just leave it alone.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

lechat

by lechat

If you really want to do it, mask the area off carefully and hit it with adhesion promoter ( Bulldog, Duplicolor ) followed by paint. Rattlecan for both.

konky

by konky

I've found a perfect solution for this one. Believe it or not it's electrical tape. I happened to have some knocking around and it was the perfect width and tone of black. You really can't see it, all you see is black.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nspace

by nspace

Would be surprised if the paint stayed, or thickness of paint didn't cause problems with mounting an Extralite. In my experience, the Extralite stem is hard enough to slide onto the steerer without anything on it, at least on my Enve 2.0. If the fit is tight, I think I would just take a sharpie once it was installed and color the exposed area.