Bicycle alarm innovation

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

BikeWatch

by BikeWatch

Me and my team of fellow cyclists are taking bicycle protection against thieves to a new level and right now we are developing a new product – bicycle alarm combined with a cable (chain) and rear lights.

We have a great team of engineers with experience in electronics, mechanics and manufacturing. Our team has some great ideas, but we believe that the best products can only be created together with other cyclists.

It would be great if you could share your experience dealing with bike thieves and thoughts or suggestions on product which we are developing.

You can answer here or check our web page – http://www.bikewatch.eu/, where you can see design sketches, blog and contact us directly.

Also follow us on twitter and facebook. We will post updates and answer questions there.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Regards,
BikeWatch team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bradley

by Bradley

Be interested in watching this.

I'm an electronic security engineer for one of the worlds largest security companines so I'm used to building security systems.Be great to see how you guys get on,it's definitely in need on the market right now.

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

I've been thinking of building a locking system built into a helmet. When the group stops for a break somewhere I usually put the straps around one of the wheels and frame or if available around some secure post. By no means safe but if someone wants to quickly ride away and there are 10 bikes around, most likely won't be mine.

I've been thinking if some tough thin flexible metal cables could be woven into the straps it wouldn't add much weight. A simple 3 or 4 button system, made from tough plastic or lightweight metal could be built into the clasp that had to be pressed in sequence to be unlocked. While it could be defeated relatively easily with a decent cutting device it would offer security if someone wanted to make a quick "pit stop" in a restaurant or the bike was left for a short time in a relatively visible area.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

What would that buy you like 5 seconds? :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Do I need to bring a separate lock for the wheels? Looks like I can make off with the wheels.
How tough is the cable? Can I snip it in 10 seconds or less?
How heavy is this device I need to lug around with my bike?
Where do the cables go after I remove them?
What happens when it rains? Is it waterproof?
So many unanswered questions on that website.

My current opinion is that this device is not effective enough right now. A redesign might be needed.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

stella-azzurra wrote:What would that buy you like 5 seconds? :lol:

If I went to the same rest stop, on the same day at the same time every week, then someone with something as simple as a sheet metal sheers could plan to steal the bike. For that matter just about any heavy duty bike security device can be defeated. Some of them weigh in the multi pound range. I was just thinking of something that would add just a few ounces that would make a bike secure for anyone that was trying to seize an opportunity that would quickly look around to see if anyone was watching and simply be able to carry or ride a bike away.

We are weight weenies. So the choices are nothing at one end or a multi pound lock being lugged up hills that offer fairly reasonable security. I am trying to come up with an idea much closer to the nothing end weight wise that offer some form of security.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I would be impressed if some was able to do that. Bottom line take a cheap bike you don't mind losing while at the coffee shop or running errands because if they want your bike they will take it quickly and efficiently.
A good lock will slow or deter them from taking your bike.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

geraldatwork wrote:
stella-azzurra wrote:What would that buy you like 5 seconds? :lol:

If I went to the same rest stop, on the same day at the same time every week...

You could just keep a fairly decent lock left on the bike-rack, since you're going there so often. A key or combination doesn't weigh as much.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Those locks get clipped. Pet peeve moment: I hate locks left on a bike rack.
Out here in the North East they end up seizing with rust.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Southern California, they don't get clipped, and aren't too prone to rust. If it gets clipped? Get another one.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Bike locks are for commuter bikes and grocery getter. Just my view.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Yeah, which is why you put a lock on the rack so you have a something to lock your expensive roadie bike to while you're getting some coffee/whatever from the café post- or pre- ride. It works. This isn't rocket science: it works. I've been doing this for more than a decade now, even on bikes that cost more than a rack does (and yes, I know what city-grade racks and bike corals cost, it's part of what my non-profit advocates for among many things)

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Oh it does work, right up to the time they steal your expensive bike. Kinda funny when you're running after someone with your cycling shoes. :lol:

elviento

by elviento

Met this gentleman (and his gorgeous wife) at Interbike who invented chips to be imbedded in bikes (presumably to be done during the carbon layup process) that can be tracked down if stolen, very much like the way you could track down a cell phone. I know this is not a lock but interesting nevertheless.

http://www.chipabike.com/
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I approve :thumbup:

The web page can use a little more effort jeez!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com