Adding silicon grippers to leg warmers - anyone tried?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

iamalex

by iamalex

Bought some Assos S7 LegWarmers - they fall down.
I'd like to add some silicon dots to them but can't really find a product specifically for this purpose (contact with skin). I've found silicon gripper elastic but that would need sewing on. Ideally I'm after a tube of something that could be just squeezed onto strategic areas.

Has anyone tried and succeeded to adding silicon dots/grippers to any of their clothing?

Ideas so far: bathroom sealant (allergins?) or a seam sealant for tents/jackets (firing off an email to McNETT).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I'm not saying this will be good, but perhaps if you find a rubber band (elastic) with the right diameter, strength, and give, you can put it on over the leg warmer near the top.

iamalex

by iamalex

That's not a half bad idea! I'll pick up a container of miscellaneous bands from the office and have a play, see if I have any success.

I'd prefer something integrated though, I'm still interested in suggestions. Thoughts?

SpoonMan

by SpoonMan

2011 Scott Addict R3 (DA groupset, Tune Skyline RR wheelset, Rotor 52/36 Q-Rings)
2008 Giant Trinity A1 (cheapass 50mm carbon clinchers)
No easy road goes anywhere worth going

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

HammerTime2 wrote:I'm not saying this will be good, but perhaps if you find a rubber band (elastic) with the right diameter, strength, and give, you can put it on over the leg warmer near the top.

:lol: :lol: Poor man's bluetooth

Just get the right size :noidea:
If that was the smallest size then try putting them over your shorts.
You might find the info here

http://leinir.dk/rubberist/index.php?information=first" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

iamalex

by iamalex

Spoonman - Going to do a bit more research before a trade, but may end up going that way.

Stella-azzurra - If I drop down a size I'm not sure they'll be long enough. Tried to pick them up in a local shop but the staff were so rude I had to resort to the internet (guy made a concious effort to ignore me and stand in front of the shelves so I couldn't get to them). I'll try and head to another shop and take a look at a small pair. Over lunch I'll properly read through the articles in the link you sent through - almost scared what I'll uncover though 'rubberists'!.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

iamalex wrote: the staff were so rude I had to resort to the internet (guy made a concious effort to ignore me and stand in front of the shelves so I couldn't get to them).

Wow, why would he do that?
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

sungod

by sungod

iamalex wrote:<...>
Ideas so far: bathroom sealant (allergins?) or a seam sealant for tents/jackets (firing off an email to McNETT).

wouldn't use bathroom sealant, it's likely to be the type that generates acetic acid as it cures, which takes a long time to disperse (some types still smell of it several months later), plus many contain fugicides

you could try a neutral cure food safe type, i've used a two-part one for moulding things, they end up odour-free and imho are likely to be ok for prolonged skin contact, you'd need to use a type that cures soft (there's stuff you can add to give a softer cure, but it is fiddlier) as the harder grades are not as grippy

not sure if you'll find it in small sizes, but if you've got kids they could use the rest to make fun jelly/lolly moulds etc.

iamalex

by iamalex

stella-azzurra - Not entirely sure why he did it but it's safe to say I won't be going back to see if the service gets any better!

sungod - Thanks for the notes, could well have saved me from a pair of chemical burns! The moulding stuff is a great idea, got a friend who I think prototypes parts using it. I'll see if he can get hold of something for me when he's down next week.

Got a tacit recommendation from McNett for their SeamGrip P133. Will fish out an MSDS sheet for it and make sure it's not toxic first though.

Will report back in a week or so, probably do a pilot run on some old clothes before risking it. Thanks for the help so far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com