Favourite Tuning Tools!!!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

austke

by austke

Hello all,
I am hoping to get a bit of an idea as to your favourite Tuning tools that you use?
Im hoping people like Weeracerweenie, Gumgardner and Donald to name a few may be able to give imput into what their favourite peices of equipment might be for tuning their rides. :)
Die Grinder, what type and size and or shape die grinder bits you may use? E.G. Tungsten 8mm-12mm round head on 3mm or 6mm shaft for instance? :noidea:
Files maybe, sandpaper? what grades you find useful.
Basically any handy tips you have found. I can see by your rides that you know what you are doing.
I am keen to start tuning my rides best I can. 8)
I started have a crack at my bike with a 3mm head on 3mm shaft but finding a bigger head maybe be better 10mm? :noidea:

Thank you
Austke
2013 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0, 6.92kg
2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 M, 8.5kg - Wife's
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg
Miele Lupa Triple Tandem 38,89kg

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Dremel/Rotary Tool Bits in order of use:
-Tungsten Carbide Cutter(s) - part #s 9911, 9901
-Cut-off Wheels, Heavy Duty
--pro-tip: when the wheels get small, save them to use later on for tight spaces.
-Buffing/Polishing set (any brand, cheaper is fine)
-Grinding set (any brand, cheaper is fine)
-The extension is very useful. Use it.

Misc:
-Cobalt Drill Bit set (various sizes, smaller bits can be used with the rotary tool)
-Set of hand-held files for metal alloys
-Sandpaper (various grits from 230 up to 1600)
-3M 2601 Sanding Pads
-Acetone
-sandblaster

most importantly, for me anyway:
-paper, pen, ink, maybe computer for precision/replicable work
-time
-patience
-looking beyond what you have in front of you. :wink:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

austke

by austke

Cheers mate,
Some great tips there.
Now to them to work :)
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

No problem. The above list is really the 'basics' I would say and used for most tuning projects of existing products.

Once you progress on to the really making your own stuff level, you'll want to invest in a milling machine and perhaps a lathe. :wink:

I've also found that a Tap and Die set to be quite useful on occasion, but for quality sets tend to be costly. For most purposes if you need to tap a new hole or create a new thread on something you can purchase the exact tool you need rather than the set.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Needle file set, preferably with diamond abrasive surfaces. They are not picky with direction, will work into any material, and take a lot longer to wear. Even cheap sets like from HarborFreight are fine.

monkeyburger

by monkeyburger

Wax, water and wood.
Using a product like Walter Alucut (or candle wax out here in the jungle) on grinding discs or abrasive drums keeps the aluminium from packing up on them. Soapstone helps to keep files free. Using a file card (a special stiff wire brush) as you work will help immensely to keep files and discs cutting cleanly.
When removing a lot of material or shaping, it helps to frequently cool the workpiece in a container of cool water.
Complex shapes can be difficult to hold. I like to use countersunk screws to hold odd shapes to a softwood or plywood base which can then in turn be clamped or screwed in the required position. The more firmly anchored the workpiece, the more efficient the material removal as energy is not dispersed into unnecessary movement.
As I currently do not have a cnc mill at my disposal, I have blanks machined from aluminium then shape by hand.
Have Fun!
Monkeyburger
...finding my inner Onoda-kun...

austke

by austke

Cheers fella's,
I haven't bought a tap and die yet because of cost also, but have bought the exact piece as I have also needed. :)
A needle file set will be next on my list I think, along with a set of small screwdrivers, (tried attacking, I mean tuning :o
My new XTR shiters last night, but didnt have small enough screwies).
Milling cnc and lathe will have to go on the back burner for now, as I dont have anywhere to hide them from my wife. :)
I do have a sizable bunch of tools that I have collected over the years, but they are big and more for working on our cars and trucks than they are for bicycles.
Keep the tips coming. They are much appreciated.

Austke
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

15" copper pipe sawed in quarters on one end to remove head sets.

threaded rod, washers and bolt to press the headset.

I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

austke

by austke

+1 :beerchug:
Thanks Stella. Thats an awesome tip. I wont tell how I may have done it in the past. Lol
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg

austke

by austke

Nice tuning tools Juanmoretime!!! I think we'd all like a tool box full of them :beerchug:
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Chain peening took for Campy 11 speed. Park Tool version which is about $100 cheaper but performs just as well.

lechat

by lechat

Dremel, of course, but also cheap metric tap and drill bit set (aluminium is more forgiving of these lower end items). Angle grinder with sanding discs and belt sander. Great for quick stock removal and producing nice flat surfaces. Wire wheel for my bench grinder. Removes old finishes in seconds. And files, the more the merrier, great for rough and near finished shaping. Especially like round and triangular ones.
Those are a few I use the most. But the usual suspects are anything I have available, for the imagination is the most vital tool!

austke

by austke

I have found that my smallest drill bits break so easily, So I now have heaps of large bits, and no small drill bits, I put it down to not using a drill press, for small drilling. Been hand drilling and snapping my small bits, so that has been a lesson to be learnt for me personally. I will now use our work drill press for the more delicate stuff.

Austke
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg

austke

by austke

Thanks juanmoretime,
I have just added it to favourites, Drill press at home is certainly better than hanging at work when I dont need to be :lol:
Admittedly i do love my work, But home time is precious to me too. :)

Oh and I have some more die grinder bits ( thx Prendrefeu for the tips) and new chain checker and chain connector/disconnector (Park Tool) in my arsenal now too. They arrived today. :thumbup:
Austke
Azzurro Torino 8.55g
Fuji 650 10.8kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com