Armstrong now riding Crumpton

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Is that a Giro Air Attack in the last pic? :sarcasm:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

Wingnut wrote:OMG a past pro on the drops with bent arms! Maybe today's pro's should take a look...

In some contrast (looks painful to me):

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

In the first 2 pics the riders are attacking and that is the position you want to attack, in the the other pic they are just riding along.
That's the position you want to be in when attacking: low down on the drops.
Since position is rather personal and if you are more of an upright rider then you better have the extra watts to compensate for that position.
Forget all the aero stuff you have on, position is king when you want to go faster than yourself in an un-aero (if there is such a word) position.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

artray

by artray

Have to agree. Some riders just break the rule book . I mean who would think a little tubby fellow like Cav could wipe the floor in a sprint with a mean machine like Greipel.

djconnel

by djconnel

Agreed. But my point is Kelly isn't that much different from the others except his arms are a bit more vertical. It was Guimard and the '80's that produced really extreme stretch, and Kelly sort of avoided that, so LeMond in his book criticizes Kelly's position, but I don't see it. The human body hasn't changed and guys like Coppi, Anquetil, and Merckx had no problem getting aero.

Starting perhaps with Bartoli there was a counter trend to not stretch out but stretch down: maximum bar drop. That's what Andy Schleck does and it's perverse. He can't even reach his drops in the saddle. The guys with the best position, from Coppi to Contador, look balanced: they can get low when they need to be, but they aren't forced there when they don't.

On Cavendish: he wins because he's explosive, has amazing ability to put himself where he needs to be, and because in the sprint he's consistently the most aerodynamic sprinter there: indeed arguably the most aerodynamic in history at that level. It's not just power which wins sprints, and most sprinters focus primarily on power.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

You've likely all seen it a hundred times, but still, a great drop bar TT position. (not sure about THAT much toe drop though!)

edesigner

by edesigner

djconnel wrote:Agreed. But my point is Kelly isn't that much different from the others except his arms are a bit more vertical. It was Guimard and the '80's that produced really extreme stretch, and Kelly sort of avoided that, so LeMond in his book criticizes Kelly's position, but I don't see it. The human body hasn't changed and guys like Coppi, Anquetil, and Merckx had no problem getting aero.

Starting perhaps with Bartoli there was a counter trend to not stretch out but stretch down: maximum bar drop. That's what Andy Schleck does and it's perverse. He can't even reach his drops in the saddle. The guys with the best position, from Coppi to Contador, look balanced: they can get low when they need to be, but they aren't forced there when they don't.

On Cavendish: he wins because he's explosive, has amazing ability to put himself where he needs to be, and because in the sprint he's consistently the most aerodynamic sprinter there: indeed arguably the most aerodynamic in history at that level. It's not just power which wins sprints, and most sprinters focus primarily on power.

Kelly had his saddle lower than standard compared to traditional fit now. I should have made that more clear. From other pics he seemed more bunched than those posted.
Last edited by edesigner on Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

CarlosFerreiro wrote:You've likely all seen it a hundred times, but still, a great drop bar TT position. (not sure about THAT much toe drop though!)

Anquetil also used 180mm length cranks, Bugno was similar in that he toed down...too much plantar flexion but still champions...

KWalker

by KWalker

I honestly wonder how some of these dudes rode the way they did, especially Anquetil and wonder if they could possibly be as good today.

Contador's fit does not look that good at all. He sits with his seatbones basically on the nose and constantly adjusts and scoots forward all the time and has a lot of lower lumbar flexion
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Didn't Specialized guru Andy Pruitt fit Contador?

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

Wingnut wrote:Didn't Specialized guru Andy Pruitt fit Contador?

They claim he fits them all. I would bet the reality is a bit of both him and whatever they have previously been happy with. They are claiming to have changed Boonens fit this year, yet again.

KWalker

by KWalker

From what I remember reading, Pruitt "fitted" all of them, but most of them ended up just changing their shit back to what it was after. In the article he claimed to have brought Frank Schleck's bars up and in something like 2cm, but Schleck still ran his -17 140mm stem after.

Pruitt is too focused on bar height and not enough on seat height.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

djconnel

by djconnel

On Contador (and Coppi), there is this

BTW, on that Anquetil photo, I also love it. The road provides something of a horizontal to see his back is nice and straight. It shows things have changed less than some might believe.

On a related note, I stumbled across this great blog post on building a bike to race "Merckx style" consistent with US racing rules.
Last edited by djconnel on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Willier

by Willier

What is all that got to do with LA riding Crumpton :?: :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

as long as you can go fast :noidea: