2009 Bianchi Via Nirone 7 44cm too small?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

vickan240sx

by vickan240sx

Hi,

My girlfriend's height is 5'3 and I've found a 2009 Bianchi Via Nirone 44cm for sale for $450. Is this frame too small for her?

Also, is this a good price for this bike?

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Look up the geometry chart on that ten go to a sizing calculator. I think that's the smallest size they make. TT could be 51cm and seat tube 44cm but check it out first. I think it might fit.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Colonia

by Colonia

vickan240sx wrote:Hi,

My girlfriend's height is 5'3 and I've found a 2009 Bianchi Via Nirone 44cm for sale for $450. Is this frame too small for her?

No way to tell from that info. Frame sizing involves many factors outside of height.

HugoDrax

by HugoDrax

I would bust out some measuring tools and figure out what is appropriate. 5'3" isn't enough information since she could have a long torso/short legs, short torso/long legs, long/short arms, etc. I know the cost of a fit session might be a bit much, but if you have any contacts that do such things I would recommend it, even if it is a simpler version of what they can do. Good luck!

SpoonMan

by SpoonMan

So, what we're saying, is send photgraphs and measurements. Of your cycling girlfriend. Doesn't sound questionable at all...
2011 Scott Addict R3 (DA groupset, Tune Skyline RR wheelset, Rotor 52/36 Q-Rings)
2008 Giant Trinity A1 (cheapass 50mm carbon clinchers)
No easy road goes anywhere worth going

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

5'3 seems tall for a 44cm women's frame (from the little i know about womens frames, but have searched the jamis xenith and amira for a friend who is 4'11)

audiojan

by audiojan

vickan240sx wrote:Hi,

Yes, no, maybe... and all 3 could be correct. Here's the problem... height is a very poor indicator for bike fitting. You can have 5 people of exactly the same height, one fitting brand A/model A, the second can fit brand A, but not model A of the same size, the third, can't fit brand A/model A at all, but model B works fine, the 4th fits brand A/model A but needs one size up, and the 5th can't fit well on any of brand A bikes...

If you start adding what's included in a bike fit, it all makes sense... overall height is rarely measured as it's not relevant, but you will have lower leg length, upper leg length, upper body length, arm length, flexibility, core strength and then also all external factors, type of rider, distances riding/racing, terrain, athletic background, current/previous injuries/issues... that's why you can have two very different fits for two people of exactly the same height...
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

^ the above is true, but u can make some* generalizations in trends that most 6ft riders aren't using 52cm framsets...

audiojan

by audiojan

nathanong87 wrote:^ the above is true, but u can make some* generalizations in trends that most 6ft riders aren't using 52cm framsets...

Actually, not even that.... it *could* be situations where a 6' rider will indeed be fitted to a 52cm frame... it all depends on how the manufacturer denominate the size and how that is measured.... for example... let's say that Parlee decided to denominate their XL 52cm (which is the actual seat tube length), then you could argue that it could be called a 52cm and I bet that frame would be very likely to fit someone 6'...

http://www.parleecycles.com/z5-geometry/
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com