Cycling in Singapore?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

msl1985

by msl1985

Hi

I might be going too Singepore, as a part of my education. I will be there for 14 days. Is it possible too bring my bike there? And if it is possibe, how is the terrain?

Thanks

Morten

yongkun

by yongkun

Flat. Generally the rides start around 4 to 5am, traffic gets too heavy after 7am.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boots2000

by boots2000

I know a guy that lives and rides there. You can ride. they suggest against riding alone in Singapore though.
Send me a PM and I can put you in touch with the guy that lives there.

elviento

by elviento

I can hook you up with a bike shop owner in SG who can probably give you a tip or two.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

mrfish

by mrfish

I was there a couple of years ago and did some good rides with the ANZAC club. Either Changi loop round the airport or Kanji loop.

If you haven't been before I'd recommend bringing your lightest clothes as its very hot and humid. Apart from the traffic, roads are nice - very good tarmac, but a bit flat for my taste. People all very friendly.

Try to get out of Singapore to try some of the coastal roads over the water. Didn't manage it myself, but locals all recommended it.

eigner

by eigner

msl1985 wrote:Hi

I might be going too Singepore, as a part of my education. I will be there for 14 days. Is it possible too bring my bike there? And if it is possibe, how is the terrain?

Thanks

Morten

Seems like a lot of work to get your bike to Singapore for 14 days. I studied a semester there last fall and bought a bike (well actually 3 bikes (!)) while I was there.
Cycling is something I would not recommend you to do on your own.
I did most of my training from 11:30PM to 2AM or 4am-5:30am. This was due to Traffic, heat and humidity (in that order).
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

jonloh

by jonloh

hey, if you do decide to ride here, u can pm me. i'm a local and if i'm free, i can bring you around the popular cycling routes. as mentioned above, flat terrain and quite heavy traffic at certain places and times. but SG is still a very much "cycle-able" place.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ayrej2

by ayrej2

I spent 3 years in Singapore and did most of my riding with ANZA. The club has several hundred members and there's around 5-6 different rides of varying distance/pace heading out on the Saturday morning. http://www.anzacycling.com/anzacycling/Home.html

There is another large club called Joyriders.

The rides do tend to start early, 5:30 wheels rolling, (there is a later 7am ride on a saturday).

I also used to commute to work every day solo (40km round trip). To be honest, some of the drivers don't think bikes should be allowed on the road, and a lot don't know how to drive considerately around cyclists, but I never felt threatened or that someone was out to get me. I find London a lot worse.

The terrain is mostly flat although there's some rolling terrain and a few little sharp little rises to be found. The biggest "hill" is Mt Faber, which is about a 5 minute climb.