Support Paul Kimmage

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

swinter

by swinter

I just checked the fund and it's now up to nearly $40,000.

That's a lot of support. :beerchug:
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

I couldn't readily find the information so here are some questions:-

1) who actually controls this fund?
2) what happens to the funds should the action against Kimmage be withdrawn?
3) what happens to the funds should they not all be used?
4) who decides what funds pay for what? Is it only legal fees?
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

swinter

by swinter

all good questions.

all I know is this from velonews: http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/09/ ... gen_239766" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bloggers Andy Shen of NYVelocity.com and Lesli Cohen of Cyclismas.com set up the “Paul Kimmage Defense Fund” late last week. . .

Over the weekend, journalists at the UCI Road World Championships in Valkenburg, Netherlands, signed a petition in support of Kimmage. . .

When asked directly about the Kimmage suit, McQuaid went quiet.

“It would be inappropriate for me to comment on that as there is a court case upcoming,” he said. “We have already stated why we are doing this. We have also done the similar case against Landis. It’s not a question of the press. It’s a question of the UCI.”

Kimmage told Cyclingnews.com over the weekend that he was hesitant to see the fund set up, but gratified to see the support he’s received.

“I had no say in it and I was really, really uncomfortable with the notion of people putting their hands in their pockets for me because there are a million better causes out there than this. Having said that, it’s one thing for people to say they support you, but when they put their hands in their pockets and put money up for you, that takes it to a completely new level and I’ve been blown away and absolutely staggered and humbled by it. So I can’t thank those people enough,” said Kimmage.

And from cyclingnews: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kimmage ... nd-support

“Since I wrote "Rough Ride" in 1990, it’s certainly the most gratifying thing that’s ever happened to me in the sport by a long, long way. My thoughts are now, are that whatever happens I wont let any of those people down. I’m not sure what that means or how it’s going to end. I am sure I won’t let those people down.”

David Millar and Jonathan Vaughters have both spoken out against the UCI’s actions. Millar, who attended the UCI’s press conference at the Worlds went to Twitter, stating, “UCI = SHAMEFUL. They continue to sue Kimmage which is disgusting and Verbruggen speaks out proving he must have nothing to do with cycling.”

And the funds donated have changed Kimmage’s outlook on the case. . .

As for Kimmage, he is still weighing up his options but along with his vigour for the case, he is hoping that cycling will use this opportunity to change itself, and not waste the chance like it did in the wake of the Festina scandal of 1998. . .

“To hear Pat McQuaid say yesterday that they had no responsibility in terms of doping and the culture of doping, what an insult that is. Pat McQuaid, the UCI and Hein Verbruggen are accountable to no one and responsible for nothing. What we need in the sport is a president who says, yes I will be accountable for anti-doping and how the sport is run. What we’re getting is the complete opposite at the moment. For me this is a watershed moment for the sport, not for my case but for the sport and the UCI.

rage against the machine/blows against the empire -- pick your age cohort/cultural reference -- this is great stuff.
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

maquisard

by maquisard

Believe Tyler, Floyd Fairness Fund, Support Kimmage...

No thanks.

mattiTWOROADS

by mattiTWOROADS

TWO ROADS cycling clothiers || tworoadscycling.com
--------------------------------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pages/TWO-ROAD ... 3235790671

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

That's a follow-up to this:
On June 15, 2012 in USADA Banned Armstrong new Doping Allegations, motorthings wrote:for those of you who haven't see this yet...and are wondering how Hitler was reacting to all of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia6dV_G5UxE

Jamiemcp

by Jamiemcp

I am not a fan of Kimmage at all, I think he is a bit obsessive and not a particularly good writer. But the way the UCI haVe gone after him is not on. It reminds me of the bully boy tactics Robert Maxwel used against Private Eye. So I've donated a tenner.

They though he was going to be a cheep and easy kill but it seems the world wide cycling public have other ideas.

artray

by artray

I would rather give my money to help get donkeys off crack or stop bears brake dancing in russia .

53x12

by 53x12

maquisard wrote:Believe Tyler, Floyd Fairness Fund, Support Kimmage...

No thanks.

+1. :beerchug:
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

J-Nice

by J-Nice

No thanks

Nice try with the obfuscation. I think most people can tell the difference between the three you named, despite the fact you lump them together for the purpose of making a correlation between them that does not exist.

Kimmage certainly doesn't belong there, as he is a journalist of integrity. Maybe you can't tell the difference, but integrity isn't something that can be co-opted for cynical PR purposes.
Check out the latest controversies in sport-

http://berzin.blogspot.com/

shadster

by shadster

i also made a donation, i hate bullies and Paul is a great anti doping activist we need more people like him

Wingnut

by Wingnut

J-Nice wrote:

No thanks

Nice try with the obfuscation. I think most people can tell the difference between the three you named, despite the fact you lump them together for the purpose of making a correlation between them that does not exist.

Kimmage certainly doesn't belong there, as he is a journalist of integrity. Maybe you can't tell the difference, but integrity isn't something that can be co-opted for cynical PR purposes.

+1 :thumbup:

maquisard

by maquisard

I'm not sure how I was trying to obfuscate anything J-Nice. Please explain?

The point rather that members of the public should not be supporting ( outside of official channels such as government funded legal aid ) anyone's personal legal bid. You are placing a lot of trust in the individual, trust that has been misplaced in the past. You might consider Kimmage to be be the white knight of cycling but look at all his comments about the sport, including those about amateurs, and you might reconsider your opinion.

KB

by KB

Macquisard - Agree with your comments, particularly about amateurs who have no axe to grind with anyone, yet Kimmage called them all sad bastards.

A real gentleman, not.

artray

by artray

Kimmage like Millar and all the others will say what the gullible want to hear . All a bunch of hypocritcal self serving ar%es out to get what they can because they fu5ked up doing the thing they love best and not once have any of them said "I doped to win so I can be reguarded as a great champion and have all the fame and money that goes with it" Instead they blame the UCI ,Armstrong,the guy who works in the dry cleaners anybody except themselves . It must have been very very difficult not to dope but it still is a choice and once you make that choice then suck it up if you get caught .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com