First Shimano shifters with internally routed

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

I want to upgrade my 6500 (or older not sure) shifters to a shimano version that is internally routed (not routed from the side like my present 105) but thay still have to work with my TRP 960 brakes. Everything works good now (6600 ultrega cassette with 105 shifters and derailuers) but thought if I am going to replace cables I might as well get new shifters to work better with the carbon bar that has internal routing. The problem is the brakes are flawless and I don't want to upgrade those but from my understanding they are an older 1:3 ratio. :?:

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think 7900, 6700 and 5700 were the first groups with internal routing out of the lever. Not sure about the pull ratio but I would bet the 6700 is your best bet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Thanks. That clears it up as I thought from numerous posts on here that the pull ration on the 6700 is 1:4 which exclude my brake levers unless somebody has some kind of workaround they know of. :noidea:

mrfish

by mrfish

The internally routed shifters all have the new pull ratio I think, since they are all swappable.

But in my humble opinion the pull ratio doesn't mean make much practical difference. If you're using aluminium rims and the latest DA pads, it does not take much to lock the wheel, so pulling the lever a little a bit harder is no trouble.

buddhaseo143

by buddhaseo143

Shimano has quietly introduced a crazy amount of new and updated parts including mechanical disc brakes. The Versa components are the first ever road shifters designed specifically for use with the Shimano Alfine and Nexus internal hubs.
The Sutro was designed by and for city cyclists to be ridden everyday and everywhere.