Retül bike fit

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ANV

by ANV

Has anyone got experience with a retül bike fit?

I read that one can safe up to 20 wats. I don't feel uncomfortable on my set up but I would really like to optimize it for me. I think I should first spend my money for the correct bike fit before upgrading parts. Or is this a complete waist of money?

Best,
Amadeus

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

i really think it depends on the Retul fitter. the one i went to wasn't great and moved my seat way upwards way past where it should've been. i've also heard that issue with others on Retul. i was interested in the Guru system...although i haven't found one in my area yet.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

liam7020

by liam7020

+1 on that kode54. I had exactly the same experience, the guy didn't have a clue. Very poor service indeed.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

rijndael

by rijndael

I went to a Retul master fitter, and it was a very good experience. I was fitted on a DFU machine, which was another great tool. What I got out of it was a lot better comfort and no more knee pain.

Jamiemcp

by Jamiemcp

My experiance was very positive. Retul is just a mesurment system really so a lot comes down to the skill/ knowledge of the guy fitting you.

ichobi

by ichobi

Yes check your fitter first. I had static fitting before dynamic retul a year later by the same guy. My position post retul barely needs adjustment which means the the fitter really got it right the first time without retul machine aid.

ANV

by ANV

Ok cool, Thanks for the replies. I can't find any reviews of the Retül fitter in my area (Zürich) so I think I'll visit 3d Bike fitters in San Francisco in summer vacation. On Yelp he has a lot of good reviews. Very looking forward to hear what an expert says. :)

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

kode54 wrote:i really think it depends on the Retul fitter. the one i went to wasn't great and moved my seat way upwards way past where it should've been. i've also heard that issue with others on Retul. i was interested in the Guru system...although i haven't found one in my area yet.

"where it should've been" => who said where it should be?

If you talk about pain happening at such height, it doesn't mean it's a bad fit.
Retul can make huge changing which will need a large period of adapatation. The muscles will work differently so it needs patience to rebuild the muscles and a lot of stretching.

PS: I have no interest defending them but just don't understand the "where it should have been"

CBJ

by CBJ

I did one this year. More or less happy. Huge increase in seat height and when I asked some questions on here other had said the same. It does seem to have solved my problem but I don't think I am any faster.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

I think Taaramae underwent a Retul fitting.

Report says he was 3cm higher and a couple of cm morr forward comparef to his pro start.

This way of fitting higher and closer to the BB axle is definitely a theory, it is not about finding the contact point where you feel comfortable...
Last edited by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uraqt

by uraqt

It wasn't a retul bike fit but it was one of the top fit shops in SF.( they were doing a retul fit at the same time) It was a good learning experience for me and worth the money just for the experience. I have moved the bike almost back to it's original state.

My point of view is that the 4 or 5 hours on the trainer is not close enough to real riding. I think you are better off buying the software you want and getting real video of you riding. I also think as you get better, you will want to change your fit and having the tools to test and verify your fit over and over again is a good idea.

I think that you do it yourself, or with your local club

here is one

http://www.siliconcoach.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there a 4 or 5 more..

Yes this is crazy talk ; )

C

kode54

by kode54

uraqt,

my experience with the Retul wasn't the best...and based on my leg extension, i was way too high. yeah, maybe i was pulling larger power numbers, but over the long term, i wouldn't last longer than a 1 hour ride on a trainer in the real world. my fitter was a hack and looking at numbers and not really knowing how to fit in a traditional manner...but i wanted to try the Retul and he was the only guy within my area radius of 25 miles. Retul is a tool, the fitter should know how to fit regardless of the tools he has just by looking to start.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i think you are the best fitter for a bike. you know what works and what doesn't work. you know what feels good and what hurts after a ride.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

mike wrote:i think you are the best fitter for a bike. you know what works and what doesn't work. you know what feels good and what hurts after a ride.

People that asks for a bike fitting generally feel bad on the bike, uncomfortable, or the kind of guy that will lower his saddle 5mm from one day to the next just because he had a bad day and felt crap :mrgreen:

When I was in racing shape I didn't ever care for my position, it all felt natural,

After I stopped racing and training, and went back to riding, I had not touched my bike/contact points but I was feeling so crap I blamed the position and wanted to call for a change :mrgreen: Didn't buy me a fitting though because it was a lot of money for not having the good legs :mrgreen:
Last edited by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez on Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

i read online about a guy who did the retul fit ($250 cost) and ended up with basically no change in his position. i think saddle went down slightly but not by much...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com