Weenie Kiwis

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

ajmit3 wrote:I'm a kiwi myself but went over to the dark side ...

Ps Derek, how is the BMC compared to other bikes you have owned. I'm thinking of getting one ...

It is amazing! I got it through Capital Cycles here in Wellington after I broke my Colnago CLX. I've never owned a top of the line road bike before so it was a major step up. The Colnago was great but this is else. It's really responsive, light, you point it down a hill and it goes where you stick it, it's stiff but at the same time quite compliant. The best part is the cost - top of the range TDF winning bike for less than a lot of other companies had on offer. I don't really think you can go wrong with it to be honest. I looked at an Evo frameset but it was out of my reach in comparison.

It does a great job of soaking up the road buzz of the stone chip around here brilliantly I must say

minion1

by minion1

I'm also a kiwi but alas have crossed the ditch and reside on the west island. Lived in Wellington and love the riding there, I seriously miss the Tuesday/Thursday night capital rides (worked 100 meters away from that shop, it was awesome! Peachy, Paul, Shane and Richie are good guys) now I have to ride in the dark and cold of Aus.
don't really consider myself a WW, since I ain't skinny and I'd rather have reliable over light - and if I were to become a fully fledged WW, I'd want to do it properly (the expensive way!) The WW boards are great places to admire some light and pretty bikes, and there are some great insights from users.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wineguy

by wineguy

dmoneysworks wrote:
wineguy wrote:In Auckland here my ride http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=55515

Mostly riding Waitaks and Kumeu.

Where abouts are you Derek?

I live in Parakai, so those are my same training grounds. Riverhead/Kumeu & wider area mainly (stay away from watiaks in winter due to road conditions).

Is that 11-speed on your rig (the TCR)?

yep thats 11, not hugely different to 10 but I use a 11/23 so it doesn't make a huge difference. It's worth trying the Dept of Cycling Thursday night handicap races at kumeu if your doing NHCC

PJCM

by PJCM

Another Wellingtonian here.

Bianchi fan. Own a 928L, 928 Mono-Q, Via Nirone (commuter hack) and race up at the Hataitai velodrome on a Super Pista.

Mostly ride a mix of bays and western hills. Head out with the eastern suburbs bunch on weekday mornings before work.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

minion1 wrote:I'm also a kiwi but alas have crossed the ditch and reside on the west island. Lived in Wellington and love the riding there, I seriously miss the Tuesday/Thursday night capital rides (worked 100 meters away from that shop, it was awesome! Peachy, Paul, Shane and Richie are good guys) now I have to ride in the dark and cold of Aus.

Yeah Capital are great. I used to race MTB with Rich in the 90s. Peach's wife Deb is currently working on my floor here at Westpac. Paul is a true salesman but looks after you so damn well with really unbiased opinion. I haven't had too much dealing with Shane. I'm waiting until daylight savings kicks back in the start back on the Tuesday/Thursday rides, I'm getting bored of watching old tour dvds on the trainer in the garage.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

sugarkane wrote:I live in Sydney but I'm from Wellington.
Would love to take my 5.3 kg parlee to ride around Wellington some time.
I learned To ride fast around corners riding motorcycles Up and down the rimutaka incline
I love that road :thumbup:

How long have you been over the ditch? I've only done Rimutaka once, but enjoyed. I hate the Kaitoke hill before it though :x

I prefer doing the Akas, either side, 22km Hutt side climb or the 11km Waikanae side climb.

Loving your Parlee. How is that THM M3 crank? Worth the cost you think?

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Um I've been here for 12 years. I've never cycled in newzealand other than as a kid.
I used to be able to the from the cafe at the top of the rimutakas to featherston in three and a half minutes though :mrgreen:

The m3s are totally worth the cost. I had SR cranks before and while they are super nice the campag bb30 system is crap. You have to use loctight to stop the cups coming loose and creaking. Something I just can't abide ( creaking that is ).
I reckon the bigger wider bearing set helps them transfer power a little bit better too.
Plus they are a a hair under 100g lighter using praxis rings which also are amazing and shift like a demon. I dould shead a little bit of weight with different rings and chain but the bike wouldn't shift as well as it does.. A pointless thing on a wet or dry daily rider.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Well the cafe is no longer there, burnt down ages ago. 3.5 minutes is flicken quick! Just out of interest - Sugarkane - as in the Sonic Youth song?

Yeah discovered my BMC is now BB86 so it puts the Hollowgram out of the picture so I'm looking at other options for a new crankset inthe future for an upgrade when I go to 11 speed.

PJCM cool to see another Wellingtonian here.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Haha it sure is 'I love you sugerkane, you drive me insane'

Sounds like an excuse to get m3s.. You won't be disappointed :thumbup:

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

sugarkane wrote:Haha it sure is 'I love you sugerkane, you drive me insane'

Sounds like an excuse to get m3s.. You won't be disappointed :thumbup:

Either that or a Lightning crank - which may not be as stiff going by the Fairwheel review from a while back but price wise and weight wise it's pretty comparitive to the M3

We'll see it's a long way down the upgrade list after stem, brakes, derailleurs, shifters.

minion1

by minion1

Yeah Capital are great. I used to race MTB with Rich in the 90s. Peach's wife Deb is currently working on my floor here at Westpac. Paul is a true salesman but looks after you so damn well with really unbiased opinion. I haven't had too much dealing with Shane. I'm waiting until daylight savings kicks back in the start back on the Tuesday/Thursday rides, I'm getting bored of watching old tour dvds on the trainer in the garage.[/quote]

Nice, I used to work down the road with Rich at On yer Bike for a wee while. He's pretty handy with a wrench, Capital's had a good run of mechanics work there over the years.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Yeah New Zealand! Im a CHCH junior, riding benchmark sunday actually :) Gravel section included :D when re built (its been getting new paint job) my addict will be 5.00kg with alloy clinchers :D

And if i must add i think this is the best thread on the forum :wink:
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Bro that should read 'Chur new Zealand...' geez I know this And haven't lived their for 12 years :P

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

the fact you said "bro, that should..." means your a kiwi bro!
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Chur cuz.. :thumbup: