Corsica - worth a trip?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

How is Corsica for epic big rides? Thinking of spending a couple of weeks there.
Variety?
Steepness of climbs?
Road surface?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

Road surface isn’t that good, but they have a 30 km climb on the center of the island, I can ask my dad if he remembers where it was.

galr1

by galr1

I was there last summer with the family and did a little riding around the South - over Col de Bacino, down to Porto Vecchio, and loop back via the Ospedale (about 17km at 5%). It wasn't a cycling trip so didn't have too much time for the bike, but easy to put together 100km rides with about 2500m elevation, that was plenty for me in the heat anyway...

Loads of really good info here:
http://www.corsicacyclist.com/

Road surface not very good generally, but some nice roads of course - I survived on 23mm without any drama. Drivers seemed to have a pretty good attitude toward cyclists I found and not too much traffic on the routes I used, but the main roads are full of really bad drivers - actually worse than in Tuscany! Webiste above advises on traffic levels on the routes I think.

karmaz

by karmaz

galr1 wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:36 am
I was there last summer with the family and did a little riding around the South - over Col de Bacino, down to Porto Vecchio, and loop back via the Ospedale (about 17km at 5%). It wasn't a cycling trip so didn't have too much time for the bike, but easy to put together 100km rides with about 2500m elevation, that was plenty for me in the heat anyway...

Loads of really good info here:
http://www.corsicacyclist.com/

Road surface not very good generally, but some nice roads of course - I survived on 23mm without any drama. Drivers seemed to have a pretty good attitude toward cyclists I found and not too much traffic on the routes I used, but the main roads are full of really bad drivers - actually worse than in Tuscany! Webiste above advises on traffic levels on the routes I think.
I'm from the north and agree with everything above! Stay off the main National roads, especially the loop along the coast, as traffic is a nightmare and there's usually very little shoulder to ride on. There's an great variety in roads, but most of the fun ones tend to go up and you'll be close to the mountains no matter where on the island you go. Personal favourite is the Cap Corse, the finger at the top. It's a bit more wild and rugged than the rest of the island and makes for a nice full day ride if you start from Bastia or St Florent.

The steepness of the climbs vary a lot. Most of the ones I ride around the Castanicca region are 5-7% average, so pretty average. Road surfaces tend to be poorly kept, especially higher up in the mountains where you have less and less tourist, more water damage and more farm traffic. One thing to watch out for, but also enjoy, is the local wildlife ;) You will see cows, goats and semi-wild hogs on the road countless times.

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Well worth it .. one of the best places to ride full stop.. that is if you like climbing, dont want to stay in ski resorts and like your countryside a little ruff !

Corsica is hard to beat.

If you want more details or some routes let me know :thumbup:

TonyM

by TonyM

dolophonic wrote:Well worth it .. one of the best places to ride full stop.. that is if you like climbing, dont want to stay in ski resorts and like your countryside a little ruff !

Corsica is hard to beat.

Or the Massif Central......but they don’t have these crazy nice beaches...LOL

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

dolophonic wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:10 pm
Well worth it .. one of the best places to ride full stop.. that is if you like climbing, dont want to stay in ski resorts and like your countryside a little ruff !

Corsica is hard to beat.

Thanks, that's good to hear. Climbing for sure - that's the point. I understand there is not an inch of flat road - perfect. Nice offer but no need for route info - we're going to ride it all!
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com