Milan San Remo Gran Fondo - experiences and thoughts?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

wineguy

by wineguy

I might have the opportunity to do the Milan San Remo Gran Fondo next year. I was hoping some of you may have done the event would share their thoughts about it. Thank you

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

airwise

by airwise

Not the greatest route you could choose in Italy or Europe unless you have real problems with climbing.

wineguy

by wineguy

I've done the the Valtellina and the Dolomites and I'll probably visit them again on this trip. Milan San Remo is one of my favourite races of the season which is why i'm interested in doing it.
Someone on here must have done it. Would appreciate any thoughts about it as I would be extend my trip by a few days to do it.
Thanks in advance

micky

by micky

I havent done it personally but plenty of friends who did it and said just 1 think "fast".

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Also haven't done it but know those who have. The problem with non-selective parcours in granfondos is that you just end up with a big mixture of abilities barreling down open roads at 50kph which is a recipe for disaster. Ive seen too many of these crashes to count in both France and Italy.

I think it's useful when an event has an early climb to spread everyone out a bit and then the groups are more homogenous in ability, goals, etc. There are other events in Ligura that time of year that I'd chose over that one.

jipperd

by jipperd

I hope I can help you out à bit. I've done MSR two times now, back in 2011 and this year.

I agree on what being said by the other members. It's à hell of à fast race and up until the first climb (Turchino) speeds won't drop below 45k/hr. It's until this point where the course is rather boring due to the course! After that the peloton is starting to fall apart. Depending of hoe your food/drink supply is, you'll have to stop for à refill. The first riders Will get their drinks from teamcars or motors (yes it's à true italien race). What follows is over 50k's of slight up/down going roads next to the see. Make sure you won't kill yourself in this section. The final 75km are bringing you up and over the so called "capo's" followed by the famous Cipressa and Poggio.

The entire course is being controled by police and organisation. Be aware that when you fall out of one of the (mostly) two peleton's you have to be carefull with traffic.

Although it's organised in June I didn't have à dry edition yet.

It's à cool event but the name is bigger than the course is stunning. Yet it's à Nice race for on your 'done it' list.

Good luck and Please feel free to contact or question me'

wineguy

by wineguy

Thanks for the feedback. Figured it would probably be like that. My big worry is losing fitness as I will have been in Italia for 4-5 weeks doing a lot of wine trade stuff, which is not great retaining top form. :wink:

LouisN

by LouisN

I don't see where the problem is.
You guys are never swallowing, always spitting aren't you ? ... :wink:

Louis :)

wineguy

by wineguy

Thats just an something we tell everyone so everyone thinks we are actually working. :wink:

The dinners and parties afterwards are a bigger problem :beerchug:

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

'Passo del Turchino' is a bit of an overstatement, being only of the order of 500m. The UK might even have a road at 500m.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Sounds like they might be mixing it up a bit this year? From cyclingnews...

'RCS Sport also announced that a mass participation sportif event called La Sanremo that starts and finishes in the Italian holiday resort. The event will re-trace much of the finale of the Milan-San Remo route before finishing at the same point as the race. Entries and more information can be found at www.lasanremo.it from October 24. Entries open on October 31.'

micky

by micky

As far as I remember the Milano-Sanremo for amateur was in June, so that one would be something else...?

In the past few years in Italy the organizers are realizing that they can ask crazy money for the granfondo entry fees and so they are ever eager to make new ones, even make them double like what it's happening in Rome (there was already a granfondo but another organizing group is suing the 1st cause they wanna have their own granfondo in Rome by being backed from some local politicians).

pastronef

by pastronef

is there a Paris-Tours granfondo?

I was looking for a flat parcours, now that Sanremo has become a climber's race... :mrgreen: :wink:

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Yeah it looks like a 'new' event. RCS trying to copy etape du tour model?

hatone

by hatone

I'm intending to do it in 2014. I've been told a few things.

- It's a no holds barred Italian amateur race, not a sportive
- Pace is rapid. Unlike the pros who race at the half way mark, this is from the word go.
- The course will murder anyone under 60 kg
- The riders are ALL released at the same time, making it a large peloton from the gun (suggest you go to the front to stay out of trouble)
- If you're a strong rider, you'll be big ringing it up most of the climbs
- Nutrition and fluid is important. If you stop at a feed you'll lose the wheel of the bunch and definitely won't be able to chase back on
- Key thing is stay in the bunch for at least 200km until you get to the coast (then it thins out)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com