Climbs USA

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bikeman71

by bikeman71

stella-azzurra wrote:How far apart are these places in California?

Seems like if you lived in Boulder or Denver Colorado it would be ideal.

You do not to have to drive out to these place with the bike.

The ideal would be to live no more than 10 miles away.

From Pollock Pines/Placerville/Tahoe, there are countless rides that require NO driving. I have been living in Pollock for exactly one year. I've made a great friend who i ride together with often and it is rare we don't hit a new road on each and every ride...and we've been on more than 50 rides together. The geography/topography is incredibly diverse....from the foothills with the vineyards and apple orchards of Camino, to the high Sierra climbs that I described earlier. I understand the appeal of Boulder, but it's mostly because of the culture/yuppy appeal that it brings. For outdoor activities, it doesn't compare to El Dorado county. Whitewater on the American/Truckee and the countless steep creeks; climbing at Lovers Leap/Tuolome/June Lake, Bishop, etc; off roading on the Rubicon/Barrett, etc; the Western States 100 Trail Run is less than 30 miles away; the Death Ride is in our back yard, the John Muir Trail and Pacific Crest Trail are ridiculous for backpacking; snowboarding/skiing is less than 30 minutes away at places like Kirkwood/Heavenly/Northstar/Sierra at Tahoe, etc.

And, for the road cyclist, this says it all....I can ride from my house in Pollock Pines to Lake Tahoe in about 70 miles with 10k feet of elevation gain and see less than 50 cars along the way. I don't understand why our population is less than 5000 people....it's the best kept secret in the US.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

bikeman71,

Can you please map out, or at least spell out some of these roads? How would you ride to Lake Tahoe? I presume Rte. 50 is NOT one of those roads with almost no traffic. Also are you on the eastern edge of Pollock Pines, as Google maps shows about 46 miles from Pollock Pines to South Tahoe (the closest part of Lake Tahoe).

Your area sounds appealing if you can pick the time of year (e.g. summer/late spring/early fall), as the O.P. plans., but not necessarily so great for road cycling during the wintry months (extending well into the Spring at higher altitudes, but not at lower altitudes). My California cycling familiarity is with the San Francisco Peninsula/Santa Cruz Mountains/Mt. Hamilton/East Bay area., which allows for climbing all through the winter except for a small number of days (plus rainy days).

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

bikeman71 wrote:
And, for the road cyclist, this says it all....I can ride from my house in Pollock Pines to Lake Tahoe in about 70 miles with 10k feet of elevation gain and see less than 50 cars along the way. I don't understand why our population is less than 5000 people....it's the best kept secret in the US.

Since that town is in a country setting there is really not much around you but hills and back country.

I'm talking about living in a larger city setting that you can bike to the surrounding hills and not drive there.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

If you can afford it, you can live in Silicon Valley California near the base of the Santa Cruz mountains and hop on your bike and be climbing within minutes. Such towns as Redwood City, Woodside, Portola Valley, Palo Alto, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Los Gatos, and others provide you such an opportunity. Yet, you are right there in or at the edge of civilization. But you will see motor vehicles, except for the more obscure roads.

Really, you can bike from anywhere in Silicon Valley, or even the whole San Francisco peninsula, and be climbing within not that long, but some places require longer rides through heavily trafficked roads than others.

bikeman71

by bikeman71

HammerTime2 wrote:bikeman71,

Can you please map out, or at least spell out some of these roads? How would you ride to Lake Tahoe? I presume Rte. 50 is NOT one of those roads with almost no traffic. Also are you on the eastern edge of Pollock Pines, as Google maps shows about 46 miles from Pollock Pines to South Tahoe (the closest part of Lake Tahoe).

Your area sounds appealing if you can pick the time of year (e.g. summer/late spring/early fall), as the O.P. plans., but not necessarily so great for road cycling during the wintry months (extending well into the Spring at higher altitudes, but not at lower altitudes). My California cycling familiarity is with the San Francisco Peninsula/Santa Cruz Mountains/Mt. Hamilton/East Bay area., which allows for climbing all through the winter except for a small number of days (plus rainy days).

Definitely not Route 50. The ride to Tahoe goes like this. Sly Park Road to Mormon Emigrant Trail to Hwy 88 over Carson Pass to Hwy 89 to Tahoe. I believe it is exactly 72 miles from my house.

The beauty of the area during the winter is we can leave from the house and go down first. Camino, Georgetown, Jackson, Placerville, El Dorado Hills, etc are all places we ride to/around. Pollock is right on the snow line so from time-to-time I do get stuck. We rarely get rain from April-Oct ( maybe three times.)

As another posted, if you are interested in big city living while riding, PP is not for you....but we did just get a Starbucks :wink:

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

Bikeman71, Let me know if and when you are near Tahoe. I will show you around! Unbelievable riding around here. :thumbup:

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

I would recommend West Lake Village, California. Its in a great location and there are a ton of great climbs right around the area. You can go right down to the SR1 which is right on the ocean and then you just take any turn and you will head up into the hills on some really cool climbs like Latigo. Or you can head west out of West lake and hit a ton of really cool country side as well. The town is close to the Burbank airport (30-45 mins) and there are a ton of hotels and one that has suites which are the best for cycling; price is better than the surrounding area but it is still pretty steep. There is also a four seasons if you're feeling special, my dad stayed there to go riding and said it was amazing.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

cmh wrote:
Frankie13 wrote:I want to point out Six Gap in Dahlonega North.GA. Great challenging climbs ridden by the pros during the tour of Georgia. I'm holding fully supported cycle camps here and everybody loves the climbs and routes.

I've ridden out there quite a bit incl Brasstown when I lived on the east coast. Nice riding but can't compete with CA for sustained efforts imo...definitely worth it if someone is in the area and looking to ride though.

I agree. Climbs are nice around that area, including North Carolina, but doesn't come close to what is out west.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

West Coast, Best Coast. :thumbup:
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

roca rule

by roca rule

prendrefeu wrote:West Coast, Best Coast. :thumbup:

Totally agree
Also quoting Jim Morrison
"the west is the best"

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

The bottom line is... the US is a pretty great place to ride and climb. I personally like Oregon! with CA as the #2 position
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

If you can make it to Hawaii sometime... goto Maui and hit up Haleakala sea level to 10023 feet over 57km.... a long and steady grind...
If you are on the big island of Hawaii you can also climb up Mauna Kea... I think its paved to 9200, and then gravel up past 13000???

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

What kind of temperatures (and dewpoints) are there at 10023 feet? How about wind? I suppose the temperature is quite a bit lower up top than at sea level.

Is there any place to get water on the way up or at the top? Rest room or other facilities at the top?

KB

by KB

roca rule wrote:Also quoting Jim Morrison
"the west is the best"

Get here, and we'll do the rest ...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rustychain

by rustychain

WW Velocipedist Gargantuan