Do light frames climb more easily?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

BobSantini wrote:You can do 'what if' calcs here: http://www.analyticcycling.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1 kg makes 8 sec difference in 2.25km at 9% gradient.
Not much but significant in competition.

This small difference has a cumulative effect over a long ride. Basically the heaver rider has to work harder to keep pace or stay even with a lighter rider. Over the course of a race or ride it takes it's toll as they use their "matches" faster and have less at the end.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Spindoctor

by Spindoctor

yes - which makes the results Sky are getting on their Pinnerellos (the heaviest bike in the pro peloton) even more impressive
Wiliers: Cento Uno; Cento SLR; Imperiale, Zero 7 (all Super Record 11sp naturally)

swaits

by swaits

Spindoctor wrote:yes - which makes the results Sky are getting on their Pinnerellos (the heaviest bike in the pro peloton) even more impressive

ummm.. I'm pretty sure every bike in the TdF weighs 6.8kg.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. Do you ever look at the cyclingnews looks at pro bikes - many are multiple tenths of a kg above 6.8.

jooo

by jooo

It's not that hard to get a Dogma to 6.8kg even with an SRM and wobbly chain rings.

Rick

by Rick

Sky also chose their sponsor, Kask's, "Mojito" helmets over Kask's more expensive helmet because the Mojito is lighter by about 50 gms.

Maybe they had other reasons too. :noidea:

BobSantini

by BobSantini

swaits wrote:
Spindoctor wrote:yes - which makes the results Sky are getting on their Pinnerellos (the heaviest bike in the pro peloton) even more impressive

ummm.. I'm pretty sure every bike in the TdF weighs 6.8kg.

Ride TDF issue had some bike weights listed:

Mondiale's Kuotas - 7.25 kg the average of all bikes weighed.
Katusha Canyon - 7.6 kg
Lampre Willier - 7.35 kg
Liquigas C'dale Evo - 6.6 kg (+ stick on weight) Sagan's edge?
Movistar's Dogma 2 - 7.3 kg
Omega Quickstep Tarmac SL4 - 7.3 kg
Orica Greenedge Scott Foil - 7.2
Rabobank TCR SL - 7.5 kg
Radioshack Madone - 7.3 kg
Saxo Bank S-works Venge - 7.3 kg
Sky Dogma 2 - 7.63 kg Just think what Cav COULD do on an Evo.
Vacansoleil Bianchi Oltre - 6.89 kg

No weights listed for others.
Average 450g overweight!!!!
r o y g b i v

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

BobSantini wrote:Just think what Cav COULD do on an Evo.

Go for the Polka Dot jersey??

Weight isn't holding him back in a sprint.

jesmith09

by jesmith09

Weight is always an issue where climbing is concerned. 1.5 kilos really isn't much. It won't provide you with significant advantage. The place you want to lose weight is in your rims. Butted spokes and a light rim with make a significant difference with a loss of only 70 to 100 grams around the outside of the wheel. The rim is a good distance from the leverage point. Pick up a mop at the end of its handle, the down near the mop, and try to swing it....there you go. Harder...much harder when being help on the end. That's why deep section rims are a waste for most folks outside times when you'll consistently be travelling at 40 KPH or more. Apparent wind angle and resistance to inertia become your enemy. That being said, a very stiff frame, such as a nice carbon frame will transfer your power better rather than dissipating energy into frame. Stiffness and light wheels. They are the ticket. That, and a bike that absorbs road chatter so that your body does not have to will help conserve your energy (carbon or steel)

BobSantini

by BobSantini

Tinea Pedis wrote:
BobSantini wrote:Just think what Cav COULD do on an Evo.

Go for the Polka Dot jersey??

Weight isn't holding him back in a sprint.

Just because he's winning doesn't mean he's not working.
Sprinting is about acceleration.
What do you think "m" stands for in f=ma?
Of course holding speed is more about air resistance.
r o y g b i v

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I had a little chuckle to myself the day when chinarellows finshed 1/2/3 on the mountain top finish. :lol:
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

JWolf

by JWolf

Actually, the Dogma weighs about the same as the Colnago M10. Well build with a pretty light kit I got the bike to about 16lbs - all Super Record with Zipp 303s and Carbon Zipp Cockpit and seatpost. My weight includes a heavier seat, but no SRM.

Sky is riding DI2 with what looks like Shimano Carbon tubulars - I think DI2 is a bit heavier than Super Record 11s and their wheels look like C35s which are about the same as my Zipps. My guess is their bikes are about 16.5 to 17 lbs since my pedals, Groupo, seatpost and cockpit is lighter on my M10 - and no SRM.

JWolf

by JWolf

Isn't the King of the Mountains on a Conago C59. Not a light bike either - actually heavier than the M10 and about the same as the Dogma.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

bikes dont climb mountains
riders climb mountains

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

jesmith09 wrote:Weight is always an issue where climbing is concerned. 1.5 kilos really isn't much. It won't provide you with significant advantage. The place you want to lose weight is in your rims.

I really felt the difference a light rim can make when I got my Ventoux wheelset. It totally "transformed" the ride.