Champs Elysee Final TdF stage - Where to stand?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Simple question, where's the best (free) place to stand for the final stage of the TdF?

I'm thinking on the corner near the Place de la Concorde maybe?
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

daj

by daj

Anywhere near a television is good if you want to see the race :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

artray

by artray

If you want a good spot you need to get there early . If you can take a small fold up chair.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Yeah, I’m prepared for an early start, will be bringing a seat, an umbrella and a box of pastries!

Ideally I’d like a place that’s got a clear view of the road and a view of one of the big screens (no idea where these will be and can’t seem to find info on the web)
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Thirstyman

by Thirstyman

Based on my experience in 2010 - On the southwest corner (or maybe second choice of southeast corner) of Champs D'elysees and Av. Winston Churchill (near the metro stop). To me this is the best place - without paying for a seat. This is 75-100 meters past the finish line on the other side of the street but you have an ok view of it (although not the lead out). You have an extremely large (roughly 15x10') tv screen (placed facing west on the southeast corner) to watch race coverage on from there as well. The award ceremony takes place in this intersection (although facing east) so you have a good view of that too. You will need to arrive 5+ hours early to get a "belly on the rail spot" or 4 hours to be 5-6 people deep in the crowd. It seems that most of the spots near the place de la Concorde are for insiders and teams or somehow otherwise paying customers. Southeast corner may be slightly better for awards and finish but tv viewing may not be nearly as good as the tv didn't seem very viewable from an angle. This area is double fenced so that the crowd is kept back and this affords a good view of the racers for 16 passes.

artray

by artray

They always have that large ferris wheel going round . I have always fancied being on that .

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

thanks thirstyman, exactly the kind of tip I was looking for

Thirstyman

by Thirstyman

how did it go?

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

It was fantastic, great weather, great atmosphere and the perfect result (for me) got a few good snaps too:

Wiggo by bikewithnoname, on Flickr

Sky train by bikewithnoname, on Flickr

Blur by bikewithnoname, on Flickr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com